The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So is the guy saying he can't turn the truss rod anymore? Up to the 12th fret is generally the truss within reason. If it's just one fret it could need a file too.

If you hold. Down the first fret and 12th fret on the LOW E you should see a very tiny gap between each fret and the string. That's generally how I check my neck relief.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey all. Just found this thread. Greets to all the guitar heads.

What's your opinion of the Black Winter pups? Have an old Ibanez in storage that I'm thinking of bringing out of retirement, might add the Black Winters. The you tube vids for them sound amazing, but would like to get some other opinions. Pretty sold on putting one in the bridge, what about the neck?

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You might want to check out Bare Knuckle Pickups. The pound sterling is in the shitter right now, so they're all right around the cost of the Black Winter set. I have a Nailbomb bridge/Rebel Yell neck and a pair of Miracle Man pickups in two RG's that both sound amazing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My caparison has a black winter bridge. My buddy's caparison has a nazgul bridge and I like it was more for metal stuff.

The black winter is good but I don't find the tone quite as mean as the nazgul. I do find it a bit tighter on the low end and it's a very clear sounding pickup though and very balanced to me.

Its better than the bareknuckle I had in it before which name is escaping me now. Warpig I think.

Coincidentally I have a non f spaced (traditional spacing) black winter bridge for sale unused if you want it slightly cheaper than the store sells them. I'd also be willing to pull the F spaced one from my caparison.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the BKP's do sound awesome. Priced turned me off when I first looked into them. Have to check again.

Didn't know about the Nazgul. Will have to look into it. My Ibanez project made me realize how behind I am. Doing a bunch of research to catch up.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got my Miracle Man set for $210 shipped a few weeks ago, compared to the $450 for an HSH set about a year ago. Yay #brexit

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So new pickguard en route, 6-8 days out.

Inform me best PAF sounding HBs plx

I'd say price no object but if that were actually true I'd buy originals at 6K/pop or w/e so looking for deceny repro shit. Thinking SD antiquity/seth lover or maybe even 59s but I don't really follow anything more boutique if there's better custom winds out there these days.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
My 13 yr old nephew wanted am electric guitar for x-mas. On the old board I remembered hearing a lot of good things about Schecters as far as bang for the buck and quality. I I got him a Amazon.com: C-1 SGR by Schecter Beginner Electric Guitar - Walnut Satin (Amazon Exclusive): Musical Instruments. I had a friend who plays semi-pro and builds guitars test it out and set it up. He played it for a solid hour and said hands down best beginner guitar he had ever seen and the pickups impressed him a lot. He's even tempted to buy one for giggles. So I did good on that. And I got the kid a copy of Rocksmith 2014 and he is gonna switch from trumpet to guitar next semester in his schools band program. He's pretty set at the moment.

Now my nephew is bugging me to get a guitar and play with him. I can bang out power cords but never put the time in to go beyond that and I thought it could be fun to 'jam' with him while he is learning. And I am considering grabbing one that is a bit more upscale that I can hand down to him as he gets better or if I do and upgrade. I am looking at Amazon.com: Schecter OMEN-6 6-String Electric Guitar, Walnut Satin: Musical Instruments or a Amazon.com: ESP LTD EC100AT Electric Guitar (Amazon Exclusive): Musical Instruments. Any thoughts from you all on either of those?

Also thinking about grabbing Amazon.com: Orange Micro Terror Stack MT20 & PPC108: Musical Instruments.

Your advice is on this matter is greatly appreciated

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's tough. That's right under really good quality mid feature price range. I'd go with the LTD LP clone of the two options you listed.

For my money I might try and find a used PRS SE Custom 24. If you want to go more Fender route, try the Squier Classic Vibe series- they are really decent for the price but you will definitely need a full setup with one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you only considering those guitars? Only new?

$300 is a tough spot but used you could find smoething nice

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of nice options open up in the $500-$600 range.

I have heard that the micro terror stack is pretty dope for what it is. It's a shame you missed the Fender Vibro Champ XD at those black Friday prices, though.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My 8 year old niece got an acoustic for Christmas. She's been taking piano for 2 years and kicks ass at that, so im sure she'll do well. Really smart and always interested in new things.