The Official Guitar Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
"Lit National Anthem"

I was expecting a sweet mashup of Star Spangled Banner and Lit - My Own Worst Enemy

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like it's stuck at the sorting facility 10 minutes from my house until Monday. Fucking UPS.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So guy gave me his guitar back. Apparently I forgot to ground the pickup selector so when he touched the screw sound would cut out.

So in his anger he punched the guitar multiple times and now it outputs nothing......

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fucking Noodleface Guitar Center over here

But seriously this is why you plug it into an amp before you string it and pass a screwdriver over all the pickups in all switch positions, lightly tap the poles to ensure pots are installed/wipers are cut properly and try and ground out every piece of metal within 40 yards of the guitar to see if you hear amp clicks to tell you something isn't right.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fucking Noodleface Guitar Center over here

But seriously this is why you plug it into an amp before you string it and pass a screwdriver over all the pickups in all switch positions, lightly tap the poles to ensure pots are installed/wipers are cut properly and try and ground out every piece of metal within 40 yards of the guitar to see if you hear amp clicks to tell you something isn't right.
Werd I know. It was one of those things where I forgot to touch the screw on the selector. Would be a minor fix but now it's crazy...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Having his 7 string here I couldnt pass up the photo op next to my 6

Q1hQ45f.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I haven't done electrical work in a very long time, but c'mon Noodle. The metal object to all pickups on all selections is like...test #1.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wellp

Adjusted neck relief on my Mustang project a bit, not quite where I'd like it yet but the guy who is going to do the frets to normal people standards (vs manufacturer) is going to give it a full setup anyway so fuck it. Also installed my Tusq saddles and string tree, the locking tuners and the Schaller straplocks (have two guitars with them already so meh was like $8 on Amazon). Still need the nut put in.

Thing has insane sustain, string through with full Tusq instead of those cheapo stamped MIM saddles and tree already gives it a great feeling.

Took the tracing for the custom pickguard (need one cut for humbuckers) and prepped that mailer to go out. Going to try WD first, they are the only one of the companies that actually replied to my e-mail with questions. Now it's just a waiting game.

Next part of the project while I'm waiting on the pickguard is figuring out how I want to wire it. I think I'm just going to do one DPDT pot and coil tap. Only other thing I'd consider is adding a second DPDT to add a phase switch but not sure I'd use it really. Anyone have a phase switch or Jimmy Page setup and actually use the phase selectors at all?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd really like to build a guitar one day. Obviously not a woodworker so I'd buy a body, neck etc and just throw it together but it'd still be a fun project.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's really fun. I bought a bunch of parts from Carvin years ago and built one. It's probably my second best guitar - next to the Carvin that I had them build. Such a quality company.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i just bought a left handed acoustic even though i'm a righty. i bought left because my pinkie on my left hand is fucked up from when i jammed it or something as a teenager and it's smaller and weaker than my pinkie on my right. what are good exercises for getting the hang of picking and all the basics?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I kind of feel like you'd be better using a right handed with only 3 fingers.

Just play stuff. Chords and strumming then single note runs. Scales with a metronome would be good.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went from 10's to 9's on my RG655 and the guy ran out of adjustment room on the neck and the fat E string ended up with a buzz. Is that kinda thing normal? I think I'm going to go back to 10's (maybe 10-52?) rather than fuck around trying to get 9's to play right.