The Official Guitar Thread

Seventh

Golden Squire
How do you plug it into a 5150 and shred on it, though?
Awww yisss.
biggrin.png

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had to take my Agile in for some work, and the guy quoted about a three week lead time... Solution?

rrr_img_84089.jpg

\m/

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some day... /dream

I'm thinking a Mark V:25 would look pretty sweet sitting atop my ROV25 and matching mini-rec stack. I've heard good and bad about the cab clone, though, and plugging headphones into it is a pretty big part of my want.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So I finally busted out the Firebox I bought over a year ago from a friend. I guess recording always intimidated me and I thought it was going to be way harder. I downloaded Reaper per Seventh's suggestions in this thread. Holy shit. This software is badass. I have zero recording experience and this is extremely powerful and very easy to use. Another plus is that I have the space to leave everything permanently setup. I have a feeling I'm going to be recording a lot in the very near future!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Any of you guys play bass along with guitar? I picked it up recently and I'm having more fun than I've had with guitar in a long time.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Bass is really fun. I think the only reason that I don't have more fun playing it is that I've got nice guitars and a beater bass. It always feels utility for me which is why I stick with guitar. Not utility as an instrument on the whole just for me in that I don't initially write anything on the bass it's always guitar for melody and progression then work in everything else including bass. Maybe I'm just waiting for someone to will me a 1970's Rickenbacker 4001 before I try to grow my bass chops.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I play bass primarily. And I do it for the same reason we all do it. A band I wanted to join needed a bass player. After like a decade now I enjoy it more, but that might be because I just don't pick up any of my guitars too often and as a result am 1000x more comfortable with a bass in my hands.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just get an 8 string guitar. You'll get to play a guitar with a bass string on it. Add a 5150 and it's win/win.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
autoharp, harpsichord and lute metal, you guys need to start playing catch-up with my folk baroque metal that I just invented. Active pickups on the autoharp and everything is run through a Block Letter 5150, we even DI the drums back through their own 5150. It's PBS and NPR style thrashing.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
alright, I'm going against all reasonably sane decision making skills and eschewing the purchase of a Block Letter 5150 at the start of the new year and grabbing an Orange TH100 instead. I need a big amp for starting to play shows again next year and can't get around how many sounds I can tweak out of the Orange.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What kind of gigs are you playing that you need 100 watts? You can get a lot of amp in that price range if you don't need that kind of power. The Mesa Mark V:25 is pretty sweet, really versatile, and a little cheaper even.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to play small bars and used a Triple Rectifier (150 watts). It was awesome.

My band practice space was deep in the middle of the woods and we would crank it to 9-10 in the garage and stand around the corner playing it - letting a sonic boom travel through the immediate area.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
What kind of gigs are you playing that you need 100 watts? You can get a lot of amp in that price range if you don't need that kind of power. The Mesa Mark V:25 is pretty sweet, really versatile, and a little cheaper even.
Yeah man. It depends on the genre. There are a lot of underground metal acts out there that are based around the sonic experience. A lot of people would look at this and laugh, but you can play a small venue, be extremely loud, and create a much different listening experience. We're a bar band for the most part with 1 guitar and 1 bass and we play 10 speakers and two amps each.

Question for the group. Acoustic guitars? Say a $2k budget. I know nothing outside of the typical 'Taylor or Martin, Gibson ovepriced' stuff you read everywhere. Help me out bros. I own nice everything but no acoustic. I suppose there is potential for this to be used in the studio, which would mean I should consider electrics, but I hear such mixed opinions about that too. Someone point me in the right direction.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Question for the group. Acoustic guitars? Say a $2k budget. I know nothing outside of the typical 'Taylor or Martin, Gibson ovepriced' stuff you read everywhere. Help me out bros. I own nice everything but no acoustic. I suppose there is potential for this to be used in the studio, which would mean I should consider electrics, but I hear such mixed opinions about that too. Someone point me in the right direction.
That's a lot of budget, so the world's your oyster. Play a shitload of them and you'll find out quickly enough which one's right for you. I have a great Martin that I paid something like $1500 for. The one next to it on the rack at the music shop was almost a grand more and sounded like shit. Acoustics are one of those things that (IMO) you never want to buy online. I've played Alvarezs (Alvarii? Alvarez-es?) with $500 list prices that smoke $3000 Taylors.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I have a $300 Breedlove that is better than some Martins I've played. It was made on the right day, from the right chunk of wood, by the right Chinese guy who actually cared about what he was doing.

Seventh's right. You've gotta go play stuff and see what speaks to you.