The Red Letter Media Appreciation Thread

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I should have questioned how RLM's animated bits haven't involved Mike making fun of the elderly.

The truth is revealed!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

denzel washington GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I was sitting down watching that episode once I had a free moment, and didn't realize that Bluto is the warden from Midnight Express. Being older and seeing that kind of puts a different spin on things, or just threw me off .

I just remember watching the Popeye movie all the time when I was a kid, that was typically on Disney or whatever.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Rich is getting fat again.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
We know your leftist shrills, and your audience is most likely slightly more right than you would like, so you just spent an hour trying to play the center…

Yeah, sure…
Yeah as much as I enjoy their commentary, the episode was pretty bad, but probably not as bad as the show itself, which it doesn't seem that they do a lot to cover, so maybe I'm completely in the dark. I'm might be a better 30 minutes through, so I could be wrong if they suddenly shift gears.

Not as if I'm going to end up watching the show itself.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
i haven't watched the acolyte or RLMs video on it (but will this week) but i already know they aren't gonna shit that hard on the acolyte, there are like a million YT creators out there now that put out rabid "THE ACOLYTE SUCKS AND HERES WHY" videos every week and its become a giant grift (just like The Acolyte) and RLM hates all those people and its popularity.

more likely they will talk about how bad fandom is now and won't let star wars out of its weird box, how the acolyte is bad because its stuck in the box. I am curious if they will talk about Andor at all in the video though.

Or how the prequels have become the default Star Wars now, and how the sequels have vanished from most public talk and if that will stay true or not in a decade. A lot of kids grew up watching the prequels and see it as "their" star wars, but I dunno if any kids really grew up watching the sequels (TFA/TLJ/ROS) first and will claim it.

Caliane

ooph these guys are so out of touch. Struggling to get through this.

"let me give my take on the cutlure war, without actually doing any research on what anyone is saying" "the poliltics don't matter as long as its good". seriously. they are 10 years behind the times. yes we know that guys... but the politics ARE getting in the way of being good. how many times do the showrunners, studios, netflix, etc ahve to say, "representation matters" over and over, and blast about DEI quotas as the ONLY promo material for you to listen to them?

"we don't get any post apoc sci fi anymore, that was all boomers". bro what? not only is most tv/movie sci fi still post apoc, like 99% of video games are post apoc. even shit you wouldn't think should be, like fantasy games. huge quantities of storytellers have moved to video games as a medium.

"hollywood isn't leftist. its just the writers are." what a brain dead take. not only has hollywood ALWAYS been leftist. but, again, look at shit like netflix creating quotas for its programing. disney doing the same shit. its the STUDIOS, and industry forcing this shit. not just loose canon writers.

Think im about to call it. too rough to get through. about 20min in.

any id all the "outrage critics"? I noticed shad/knightswatch and itsagundam.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They were sharp critics of Star Wars for a long time and from multiple angles starting with the Plinkett reviews through all their coverage of the new trilogy with parodies of trailer reaction videos and their own Half in the Bag reviews. The incredibly acidic Nerd Crew podcast targets the corporate astroturfing of the fanbase along with the YouTube grifter culture with surgical precision. Now they don't really have anything to say from the fence they've now chosen to sit on? I guess they really want their Red Letter Media Animated pitch meeting cartoon thing to get picked up.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

They once put out a whole video dissecting the Ghostbusters 2016 "people don't like it because they hate women" faux outrage campaign.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
^^
Hell Plinkett or that video or Half in the Bag they said Leslie Jones was the best part of that shit heap. Ill have to take their word for it, I never watched it.

They have always ragged on the faux outrage machines as much as they rag on Disney et. all for passive progressiveness. Hell go watch their most recent Exorcist reboot 2023(??) vid, they make fun of the filmmakers for being too scared to not have a second girl being possessed cause the first is black or whatever.

Dunking on Midnight Edge, or Drinker is easy. There is little to no effort in their videos, you can interpret their entire point off some stupid YouTube thumbnail and they exist to harvest views on YouTube via outrage content. X doesn't work cause its a women or a black person isn't introspective or critical, its lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy as fuck. Does RLM like Acolyte? No not really, its so boring they have nothing to say about it, so they talked about the bullshit surrounding it. If that outrage didn't exist they wouldn't watch it, people wouldn't hate watch it, and people wouldn't force themselves to watch it to counteract the hate. It would just go away and Star Wars would change course. Or not. Its okay if something isnt for you anymore. Star Wars sure isnt for me, I have only seen TFA, Last Jedi (oops), Rogue One and Andor, why would I watch something that I hated?

• 1Picard

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
They were sharp critics of Star Wars for a long time and from multiple angles starting with the Plinkett reviews through all their coverage of the new trilogy with parodies of trailer reaction videos and their own Half in the Bag reviews. The incredibly acidic Nerd Crew podcast targets the corporate astroturfing of the fanbase along with the YouTube grifter culture with surgical precision. Now they don't really have anything to say from the fence they've now chosen to sit on? I guess they really want their Red Letter Media Animated pitch meeting cartoon thing to get picked up.
I like their Re:views stuff when they're actually just going through old movies that nobody talks about, but I happen to enjoy or have an appreciation for. That seems to be the content that they put out that I enjoy the most. That's no different than me having a conversation with my buddies when we talk about an old film or something one of us saw recently. The best of the worst stuff is still pretty funny at times, but it gets a little bit tiresome.

I also don't mind when they do their annual review of movies that they didn't do some sort of long Way segment on, because sometimes there will be some decent gems that I wasn't aware of, I'm thankful for learning about something I would have never run across.

Wish they would do a monthly video in that capacity where it's what we watched in the month of March, and just do a few minutes on each film over the course of an hour, don't deep dive, but just general recommendations. I just find that I have very similar taste to them, and it would be worth my time.

Kind of no different than what we have on the forum, and I guess that's why I end up watching most of the stuff I do is because of people talking about it here, because I'm not actively out there searching for movies to consume, but when like-minded people tell me hey this is pretty good, I'm going to give it a shot.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i watch a lot of those nerd rage videos, i know they're nerd rage. the Angry Video (NIntendo) Game Nerd was nerd rage back in the day before everyone, before he lost his hair. i watched his videos for the same reason i watch these, for the same reason i watch RLM vids. entertainment and some information. does anyone actually watch these videos because they they think this is a straight up newscast and everything they say is expected to be followed? does anyone actually get all raged up? for me Star Wars ended in 1983. they tried to bring it back many times. they puped enough money into the franchise where some actually do enjoy it. but watching Vader's corpse burn on a funeral pyre was it for me. this is all just the last dying embers to rise up into the sky.
iu

• 1Like