The Return of the Pink (Floyd)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The title should be renamed for this. This will probably actually receive some discussion.

I have faith this will be respectable. David Gilmour doesn't release bad stuff.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
I really wish the guys would get over themselves and get Waters back in the fold, but you're right - Gilmour doesn't do bad stuff, and this is probably going to be decent at worst.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
The title should be renamed for this. This will probably actually receive some discussion.

Yeah, I had to change the thread title. <3 Gilmour.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
let me just get this out of the way before you guys get caught up in the circle jerk.

pink floyd is one of the most overrated acts in music history. they achieved success by pandering to the so-called rebellious, drug-experimenting baby boomers by writing shitty, vague lyrics and leading morons to assume there was some sort of deep meaning to their music. there isn't, just some vague references to communism, drugs, anti-government and whatever other shit struck a chord with history's worst generation during their teenage years. at a time when rock music was in its infancy and there were a billion different new approaches that had yet to be taken towards it, Pink Floyd never broke any new ground or pushed the envelope. they have some good songs for sure, but if the only thing they really excelled at was appealing to their target audience at a time before record label marketing departments were all over that type of stuff. to top it all off, no one in Pink Floyd, past or present, was really a gifted, talented musician. there's nothing in their catalog that a teenager with a few years of musical instrument experience couldn't play with ease.

to sum it all up, Pink Floyd is basically the Winger of the 70s.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
let me just get this out of the way before you guys get caught up in the circle jerk.

pink floyd is one of the most overrated acts in music history. they achieved success by pandering to the so-called rebellious, drug-experimenting baby boomers by writing shitty, vague lyrics and leading morons to assume there was some sort of deep meaning to their music. there isn't, just some vague references to communism, drugs, anti-government and whatever other shit struck a chord with history's worst generation during their teenage years. at a time when rock music was in its infancy and there were a billion different new approaches that had yet to be taken towards it, Pink Floyd never broke any new ground or pushed the envelope. they have some good songs for sure, but if the only thing they really excelled at was appealing to their target audience at a time before record label marketing departments were all over that type of stuff.to top it all off, no one in Pink Floyd, past or present, was really a gifted, talented musician.there's nothing in their catalog that a teenager with a few years of musical instrument experience couldn't play with ease.

to sum it all up, Pink Floyd is basically the Winger of the 70s.

Too obvious. You're better than this, Keg.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i'd be happy to have this discussion with you if you would state which members you think are/were highly talented and give some examples of them putting their talent on display.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Meh I guess this title is all right. If you don't like pink floyd I don't like you, but I guess you're just too cool to like the cool stuff, coolkilla

I would like waters to be in it as well but he hasn't had anything to do with them for frigging 30 years, don't think he'll change that now. He's doing really well on his concerts though, saw him a couple of years ago and the wall obviously holds up. Wish Gilmour would go out and tour though but he's been laying low for so long
frown.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
i'd be happy to have this discussion with you if you would state which members you think are/were highly talented and give some examples of them putting their talent on display.
I know you're just trolling, but I'll bite. You don't have to be the best guitar player in the world, or the vocalist with the biggest range, to make good or even great music. Song writing is a talent in itself. You say that just about any teenager with a few years experience could play just about any Pink Floyd. That's true for most of the "best" rock music, with some exceptions. The Beatles weren't amazing musicians, or at least most of their music wasn't spectacularly complicated or difficult. Tom Petty's music is all pretty simple, but that doesn't change the fact that he's arguably one of the best American song writers of all time.

And Pink Floyd did pioneer some things in terms of recording on Dark Side of the Moon:The Dark Side of the Moon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I don't know that any band prior to them ever attempted a concept album, live performance and movie like they did with The Wall. The Wall live performance was pretty ground breaking in terms of the costs and complication of such a huge show, and it paved the way for concerts to become the spectacles that they have.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
David Gilmour is a fantastic player. His tone and phrasing is uniquely his own. You hear five seconds of a Gilmour solo and know it's him. That's fucking impressive. Yeah, he doesn't shred I guess? Do you think Dragonforce is the greatest band in the world or something?

And you think Creed is the greatest. Get the fuck outta here. Tremonti is a good player but he didn't showcase any that in Creed.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's funny, whenever Gilmore or Waters are asked about their feud in interviews, they both pretty much say that the other person was probably right all along. At this point it's just about how Gilmore didn't really want Waters to leave, and Waters didn't want the remaining band to keep making new music as Pink Floyd. They are just both perfectionists with different ideas and it's hard to keep that kind of working relationship going.

Bands that hit it big are a strange thing - prior to "making it", they probably were in several bands at a time, floating from project to project at a whim - and then suddenly they wind up married to people they may not even like because magic happened and they have awesome musical chemistry.

That said, like 80% of Pink Floyd is shit. It's just that 18% of it is fucking amazing...

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That said, like 80% of Pink Floyd is shit. It's just that 18% of it is fucking amazing...
I can get this. But I'm mostly ignorant to a lot of their material. I'm familiar with the usual suspects - Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. I'm vaguely familiar to Division Bell, but I don't know the album nearly as well as the tunes from the previous ones I mentioned.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I can get this. But I'm mostly ignorant to a lot of their material. I'm familiar with the usual suspects - Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. I'm vaguely familiar to Division Bell, but I don't know the album nearly as well as the tunes from the previous ones I mentioned.
Their first few albums, before Gilmour, are pretty much unlistenable. Once he joined, it got a lot better. Basically everything from Meddle on is anywhere from "decent" to "amazing". I've never really listened much to the post-Waters albums myself. Animals and Dark Side of the Moon are far and away their best work. The Wall has it's moments, but there's some junk in there too.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, Dark Side and Wish You Were Here both have a lot of references to how their original primary singer/songwriter went apeshit nuts, so you can kinda understand that when you hear their first few albums...