The Sci-Fi Book Thread

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Read old mans war buy John Scalzi, I really enjoyed after I read most of banks books

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
If you like blue balls and God then read "The Book of Strange New Things". I don't like either so the book kinda sucked.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Issues of the old sci-fi magazine 'IF' have been made available to download from archive.org. "Old" in this case covers the years 1952 to 1974, so adjust expectations accordingly.

rrr_img_127471.jpg

IF Magazine : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Another case of blue balls with the Ancillary series by Ann Leckie (had no clue she was a chick).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just finished the Hyperion books. Need a new series. Can't seem to find anything that looks interesting and I'm not sure I want to go back to fantasy.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I started The Sparrow this morning by Mary Doria Russell and I like it. Not sure how I ended up reading another religious themed Sci-Fi but it better not turn out another Book of Strange and Boring Things.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Yup, I'm completely caught up in it, haven't done much yesterday all day and today after work but read this.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I just finished the Hyperion books. Need a new series. Can't seem to find anything that looks interesting and I'm not sure I want to go back to fantasy.
Have you read Ian M Banks yet?

I also really enjoyed the "mote in gods eye" series by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle which I consumed shortly after Hyperion.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I did a quick goodreads lookup of the sparrow and got a copy. Looks promising. I'll keep your recco on my short list.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finished it 10 mins ago, not sure what to say. The good part came and went way to fast and everything else was pretty fucking boring. This is like the 5th book a in a row I haven't really enjoyed.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
What's the word on the David Weber Harrington series?

I'm on the third book at the suggestion of a regular at work. There's 16 of these books though. If this is space Drizzt I want out now!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
What's the word on the David Weber Harrington series?

I'm on the third book at the suggestion of a regular at work. There's 16 of these books though. If this is space Drizzt I want out now!
16? Try more like 25 plus short stories collections and novellas
smile.png

It's another series where the character ended up devouring the series. I'll try to avoid spoilage, except for the fact that she doesn't die. His model was Admiral Nelson, and he intended her to die at around fourth book or so in a massive and glorious battle and to switch to her heirs from Grayson, but no luck. She was waay too popular to kill off. On book 3, he would probably still be trying to set her for that death.

So instead, he's writing spin-offs that focus on other parts of the Honorverse (and has other people writing those parts), and tries to keep her as much away from the main action in the main series. He's dialed the series back because he has more fun writing the Safehold series.

It's fully open-ended, don't expect any resolution or whatnot. But it's not 50 shades of Drizzt, Harrington is basically a background secondary character in the last books.

Spin-off series after the main series are:

- YA prequel trilogy about Harrington's ancestor and first contact with the Treecats. Which feels forced since we do know that treecats are fully sentient, and the series is not allowed to have the main characters guess it. Skip.
- "Saganami island" series revolving around Michelle Henke, which are ok, loosely tied to the other spin-off.
- "Crown of Slaves" series which is basically boring attempt at having a bigger and more dangerous threat to the growing Star Kingdom. I'd mostly say "stay away", except this looks like the main series.
- "Call to Arms" prequel trilogy about the rise of the Star Kingdom before they discover their wormhole junction. Fully disconnected from the series (no Harringtons anywhere), more or less ok.

The series is still good mil-fi, but the latter bits aren't as good as the original run.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Plus side apparently it looks like the next honor harrington book due out this fall brings the various side spin offs together with the main line again and there will be one more honor harrington mainline book after that to "complete the series" He may wind up going with his original plan to spin off the new series focusing around her kids after some time jump but apparently two more books is it for the mainline honor harrington story line.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well other than the call to arms final book but thats its own thing anyway and other than sharing the universe has really nothing to do with the honor harrington stories.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finished it 10 mins ago, not sure what to say. The good part came and went way to fast and everything else was pretty fucking boring. This is like the 5th book a in a row I haven't really enjoyed.
Gonna quote myself. Started on book two, covers all the good parts from book one, it's officially awesome.

assfucking an alien priest inspired a cultural revolution. can't get any better than that

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
Read the first book of the Ancillary series. Enjoyed the second half...the first part was a LONG set up. Anyone got any further in it? Worth continuing?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Read the first book of the Ancillary series. Enjoyed the second half...the first part was a LONG set up. Anyone got any further in it? Worth continuing?
Tastes vary, but I would say no. A huge percentage of the second book is tea parties.

No, seriously, literally tea parties.