The "Shit I just bought" thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Windows 10 is good

I agree. I think people that shit on windows 10 are just people who switched to macs in the 90s when windows really did suck or people who want to show that they are special because they can install linux. I use windows 10 daily and I don't really see what there is to complain about.

kudos

<Banned>
Windows 10 is good

It is not. PowerShell is in Linux now so there is absolutely no reason to ever use Windows as a main OS. Other than testing things I do not ever use it.

I agree. I think people that shit on windows 10 are just people who switched to macs in the 90s when windows really did suck or people who want to show that they are special because they can install linux. I use windows 10 daily and I don't really see what there is to complain about.
The amount of resources Windows 10 requires and the pushing of cloud based services and telemetry is infuriating. On top of that Windows is just a bloated pile of shit. I like running my computer as lean as possible. I am not a fan of OSX either but their hardware is generally better.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Recent purchases not at all similar to those of the rest of you:
New insulated steel garage door incl. removal of old door installation of new and service to existing opener..
Non Resident Fishing License for Illinois
Red Dress
41gbTtr4jCL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

Blue Bikini
41rl3mYLFcL._SY90_.jpg

New Sheets
417eRLdk4lL._SS36_.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The amount of resources Windows 10 requires and the pushing of cloud based services and telemetry is infuriating...

Resources as in how? I remember dumbfucks complaining when Vista came out regarding memory usage, yet completely failing to comprehend pre-fetch at the time. This was still pre-SSD and traditional HD were slow as balls. Microsoft put in pre-fetch where your most commonly used programs would be pre-loaded into memory so they would be ready to run at lightning speed vs calling from the slow HD first. Of course people thought that empty memory was somehow superior from their WinXp days.

I compared it to buckets in a well. Your HD was the well, your data the water, the bucket your memory. What was quicker, pre-filling the bucket with water so it is ready when you want it, or having that bucket empty so you can crank it down to the well later?

Of course all of this is now a bit pointless with SSD mainstream.

Cloud service / telemetry? Umm.. just fucking turn it off like everyone else?

Bloat I can agree with. But there are ways to nix a lot of that too.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It is not. PowerShell is in Linux now so there is absolutely no reason to ever use Windows as a main OS. Other than testing things I do not ever use it.

The amount of resources Windows 10 requires and the pushing of cloud based services and telemetry is infuriating. On top of that Windows is just a bloated pile of shit. I like running my computer as lean as possible. I am not a fan of OSX either but their hardware is generally better.

Windows came on my computer provided by my employer and i haven't had any problems with it and it does what i need to fulfill my duties.

Should i tell them to give me linux or go to hell or buy my own and replace it hoping they won't notice?

kudos

<Banned>
Windows came on my computer provided by my employer and i haven't had any problems with it and it does what i need to fulfill my duties.

Should i tell them to give me linux or go to hell or buy my own and replace it hoping they won't notice?

This thread is about things you bought, not things your employer bought for you.

kudos

<Banned>
Resources as in how? I remember dumbfucks complaining when Vista came out regarding memory usage, yet completely failing to comprehend pre-fetch at the time. This was still pre-SSD and traditional HD were slow as balls. Microsoft put in pre-fetch where your most commonly used programs would be pre-loaded into memory so they would be ready to run at lightning speed vs calling from the slow HD first. Of course people thought that empty memory was somehow superior from their WinXp days.

I compared it to buckets in a well. Your HD was the well, your data the water, the bucket your memory. What was quicker, pre-filling the bucket with water so it is ready when you want it, or having that bucket empty so you can crank it down to the well later?

Of course all of this is now a bit pointless with SSD mainstream.

Cloud service / telemetry? Umm.. just fucking turn it off like everyone else?

Bloat I can agree with. But there are ways to nix a lot of that too.

I know how prefetch works, I've done digital forensics for the government. You cannot simply "turn off" Windows 10 telemetry. They change the registry all the time through patches and then you have to go hunt it down. It's bullshit. I like full control of what is going on.

Siliconemelons

The wife begged for one of those steam mops when we first got married - I was like "its shit" she is like "nooo, lookit this! lookit that!"

it broke AND it was useless AND it sucked

Never again has she won an argument over this type of cleaning tool - because I will just bring up the stupid fucking shark steam mop.

Ryanz

<Banned>
It came at a neato price. Although I was poo pooing it at first, she had a 20% off coupon that knocked $100 off of it, and it IS making our life easier...so despite my complaining it was a good purchase. As for the Shark steam mop, I can't speak to it's durability since we just got it, but it did remove the dog footprints off of the new vinyl floor, so mission accomplished for now. It also has a pretty cool way in which it released the mop pad without you having to use your hands to remove it. Standing on the recently steamed vinyl floor bare footed really made me want to get heated floors. :(

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have owned a Shark Steam mop for tile floors for many years, its the only way to actually clean it completely. Every once in awhile ill hit it with a wet swifter....but to save grout and tile...the steam mop is BEEZ KNEEZ.

Oldbased

> Than U
The wife begged for one of those steam mops when we first got married - I was like "its shit" she is like "nooo, lookit this! lookit that!"

it broke AND it was useless AND it sucked

Never again has she won an argument over this type of cleaning tool - because I will just bring up the stupid fucking shark steam mop.
Mine keeps asking for some swivel broom. I keep saying mop? Nope it's a broom, that swivels. Why I have no idea. She has brought it up a few times in the past month though so I guess I should look it up.

fris

Vyemm Raider
I'll 2nd (3rd?) the steam mops. we have natural slate tile all downstairs, hard to clean due to the uneven texture. steam shark is just as wide as a tile, cleans each one great. tears up the pads quickly i guess, but worth if it's the best way to clean.

otherwise, we have to use an old school mop (think dread locks). the sponges just get shredded in no time.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll 2nd (3rd?) the steam mops. we have natural slate tile all downstairs, hard to clean due to the uneven texture. steam shark is just as wide as a tile, cleans each one great. tears up the pads quickly i guess, but worth if it's the best way to clean.

otherwise, we have to use an old school mop (think dread locks). the sponges just get shredded in no time.

We've had a Bissell steam mop for years. It's a champ.