The "Shit I just bought" thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Semi-related, because it's an over-priced food item but has anyone had Jamon Iberico? I was thinking about grabbing some as an appetizer for Xmas day festivities but at 200 bucks a pound, that shit better be pretty good.
LOL...Ya I have. I want to say it was a Portuguese restaurant. It's sweet. Very sweet for ham. Tasted delicious. It definately was not 200 bucks a pound! My god. No I would say it was not worth 200 dollars a pound.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
"The traditional method of collecting feces from wild civets has given way to intensive farming methods in which civets in battery cage systems are force fed the cherries. This method of production has raised ethical concerns about the treatment of civets due to "horrific conditions" including isolation, poor diet, small cages and a high mortality rate"
So like, the typical american chicken farm.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Semi-related, because it's an over-priced food item but has anyone had Jamon Iberico? I was thinking about grabbing some as an appetizer for Xmas day festivities but at 200 bucks a pound, that shit better be pretty good.
Why not just get something more reasonable? I can't imagine anyone is going to know the difference unless you want to brag... But I have no idea who you are inviting, maybe Thomas Keller is coming to your house for Christmas.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you want to pay $1000 for a ham I know pig ranchers will let you pick out the one you want, slaughter it, and have it shipped straight to you when it's ready for a lot less lol. Kind of like the rancher I knew who had a hunter kill a charlais bull and apologized and offered a great sum of money to replace it. Afterwards the rancher said he had a whole pasture of them if any of his friends wanted to shoot one for the same price.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had a bull last year that I seriously considered putting a bounty on for hunters. Son of a bitch eluded me for a year and fathered 30+ calves at the wrong time of year. When I finally got him into a corral he went straight into a trailer and straight to the sales yard.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
It's like having Almas Caviar or Matsutake mushrooms. It's a relatively rare food item because it comes from a certain rare pig in Spain/Portugal that feeds primarily on weird acorns in said area. If you really break it down I guess, it's the same reason you eat at French Laundry or Urasawa, to enjoy something most people won't.

Also, it's just my parents and the wife. It's eaten like prosciutto, so I'd just be buying like a half pound, nothing bananas.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I didn't buy it, but got a Nest Thermostat for X-Mas. So far I like it, but it's been a day. Super easy to install and set up. Going to be real interesting to see how well the "learning" works since my wife work nights and is one week on, one week off basically.

Thought about also getting the smoke detectors since all mine need replacing anyways but at $99 a pop no thanks, cost me like $1k to do the whole house.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I like our smoke detectors. Plus the wife gets to make fun of me when I burn bacon and it texts her that the house is on fire. If you have gas heating the smoke detector will also shut off your heat in case of fire.

Unless they've patched the thermostats recently I don't think you can have a schedule + learning, or something like that. We ended up just manually programming our two because weather here was fluctuating so bad and our schedules were strange, it just worked better.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm actually 100% fine with just opening up the app and changing the temp really quick. 100% easier than trying to change the temp on the fly on the stupid programmable Honeywell thing from the 90's.

On the smoke detectors the idea of being able to pull up an app and say "hey, I'm cooking, shut up" sounds appealing. I set off ours every time I sear up a sous-vide steak.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I couldn't live bottled up without the ability to get out and away from it. If I ever get fixed physically again I'm taking a long time off to backpack again. The big selling point on this one is weight, it's all titanium and fits in the pot so it saves weight and space in a pack. Also uses wood, alcohol, or esbit tablets.

I last did the Teton Crest trail, maybe something else this time.

It's also handy if you live in a hurricane area. Even with a generator, you only want to stand in line to get gas so long unless you own a natural gas whole house one.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been considering a Nest thermostat too, think I'm gonna pick one up.

We have one of those turn-dial Honeywell or whatever shits from like 1981

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's easy to install if you already have a C-wire available at the thermostat, otherwise it can be a real pain in the ass. The C-wire is basically what provides the thermostat power, and while they claim you technically don't need one, in my experience you'll have power/charge issues with it if you don't. If you have an older house, and/or simply had very basic thermostats previously, you probably don't have a C wire hooked up and you'll most likely need to fuck with wires at your air handler, being forced to jumper a wire to your fan connector.

I have 2 Nests, a Chamberlain Q garage opener, a Ring.com doorbell, Schlage wifi deadbolts, and Canary camera-- all hooked up through a Wink. You can then program "robots" on the Wink to do certain things like when you open your garage door, automatically unlock your door. Or if your front door is unlocked for X period of time, lock it. Cool stuff.