The Writing Thread - Post Shit You've Written (And Criticize What's Posted)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Wow, talk about a necro! Hopefully everyone's still working on their writing even if they're not posting much here.
In other news, I finished up a collection of short stories which I've published on Amazon. I've set it to free for a few days, so grab it while you can!
A Collection of Unfortunate Tales - Kindle edition by Leif Smart. Literature Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Horribly bad timing on this post I suppose, seeing as how the board is about to implode, but I did want to say that I finally read your collection, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I apologize for not doing it a lot sooner. If any of you have it and haven't read it yet, you should do so now. It will only take an hour or two, and it will likely be worth your time.

I did see the "twist" to a couple of them early on I feel, but they were all well done and interesting. I do have a particular question about one of them though, if you ever do see this post.

In "Sunflower", is the guy a psycho murderer and ended up killing the girl, or what? Perhaps you purposely didn't spell things out so it was unclear, but I sort of got the vibe that something horrible happened to the girl. Am I wrong? If so, can you tell me what your intent was?

faille

Molten Core Raider
Horribly bad timing on this post I suppose, seeing as how the board is about to implode, but I did want to say that I finally read your collection, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I apologize for not doing it a lot sooner. If any of you have it and haven't read it yet, you should do so now. It will only take an hour or two, and it will likely be worth your time.

I did see the "twist" to a couple of them early on I feel, but they were all well done and interesting. I do have a particular question about one of them though, if you ever do see this post.

In "Sunflower", is the guy a psycho murderer and ended up killing the girl, or what? Perhaps you purposely didn't spell things out so it was unclear, but I sort of got the vibe that something horrible happened to the girl. Am I wrong? If so, can you tell me what your intent was?

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply. Kinda forgot about it in the shift from the old board!
I'd rather not say specifically what my intent for that particular story was, but I did try to leave enough clues for people to piece it together.

Also, I just included another story in the collection. Hopefully your copy auto updates to include it. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll see what I need to do to fix it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What did you guys use to learn how to plot a story?

I am having a lot of trouble seeing if I am able to increase the jeopardy of the Hero's goals as the story goes on.

Siliconemelons

I wrote a children's book - full pages fully illustrated in hand painted watercolor... I "gave" (licensed) and dedicated it to my kids preschool to use as a fundraiser. I learned a lot while doing it, and good lord the amount of editing even on the text of a children's book! and then type setting where 1 pixel left or right, up or down effects how it flows in with the illustrations etc.

It took me about 1 year in total to complete the entire process, it cost me about 1k for the ISBN, a piddly webpage for it, copyright - test prints etc. the illustrations were done by a classmate that was involved in the preschool also- so she did it for free, but I am sure that the illustration would have been another good chunk of money.

I learned a lot during it all and look forward to putting together a historical-fantasy novel aimed for young adults and adults- but I didn't want to go directly into that project - so I am going to do the RPG project as I posted in another thread. I think that will help me with narrative revisions etc.

Edit:

Submit your copyright digitally if able (must be before a published version exists) it cuts 2-3months off processing - but damn copyrights are still a 9-12month processing time!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Awesome effort Xadion, congrats!

Whats the copyright process though? That should be automatic when you write something

faille

Molten Core Raider
What did you guys use to learn how to plot a story?

I am having a lot of trouble seeing if I am able to increase the jeopardy of the Hero's goals as the story goes on.
Forgot to answer this, sorry. I think everyones approach will be different and not necessarily be useful for other people, not to mention how much they evolve through the process. That said, I found the snowflake method to be a good place to start since its methodical approach suits my mindset : How To Write A Novel Using The Snowflake Method

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Since Faille necro'd this thread to talk about short stories... Is anyone interested in a monthly FoH short story competition?

It's a good way to break writer's block and build a writing habit.

• 2Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since Faille necro'd this thread to talk about short stories... Is anyone interested in a monthly FoH short story competition?

It's a good way to break writer's block and build a writing habit.

I would absolutely be interested in this.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a necromancer.

Anyway, my new year's resolution for 2017 was to write 100 words every single day. I did it. I now have a word document that is 37,424 words long (95 pages). The discrepancy comes from the dates I added in to keep track of my days.

Lots of them are little blurbs. Sometimes I'd be too hungover or tired or busy to focus so I would just bust out a stream of consciousness. Sometimes they are bits of stories I was working on at the time. I went through a week-long phase where I just described food/meals. Lots of descriptions of cool castles, forts and museum pieces I saw in Europe. The point was to put down 100 words every day.

I know we are 3 days into 2018, but I highly suggest other writers do this. The main takeway was that I became so much more comfortable with my own writing. Secondly, I feel as though I have become a better writer. I know when I am focusing too much on needless stuff. I know how to pace a scene better. I know how to write better characters. I think it comes from the constant practice.

New year's resolution for 2018, write 200 words every day.

• 2Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone want to let me know what you think of this? Wrote it last year and found it on my computer today. About 2,200 words.

The New Blood​

Before the war, Holzburg had been a small town that outsiders only visited because it boasted a sturdy bridge over the river Sachonnet. Now it was a major supply depot and was home to a large garrison of soldiers. Merchants had settled in the town to cater to the needs of the military. There were tailors to stitch torn uniforms, cobblers to fix broken boots, blacksmiths to forge iron shoes for horses and – naturally – taverns to quench thirst.

One of those taverns – the Emerald Flagon – was located in a basement beneath a tailor’s shop. It was the sort of place where the floor was never swept and a man was free to rest his feet on the table. The basement had its own door that was connected to the street by a short staircase and a series of window-wells that poured warm, golden light out into the night. Some of the little windows were open and the sound of raucous laughter and clinking mugs promised high spirits and good company within. Inside the bar, soldiers in black uniforms clustered around tables where they drank, smoked pipes and played games.

In the center of the tavern a collection of sergeants were playing cards. The game was coming to an end and only two players remained. “What’s it going to be, Jan?” asked one of the men. He had leathery brown skin and black hair salted with white.

“Don’t rush me, Levi,” responded Jan. He took a moment to study his cards and said, “Call.” Both men set their cards down on the coin-covered table. Groans and furious curses exploded from drunken mouths as Levi smiled. “Full house makes my purse that much heavier!” He said as he swept up the gold pieces. “Who’s up for another round?”

More groans chorused in response. The men were tired of losing their money. “How about drinks on me while we reshuffle the deck?” The men agreed. That was how it always went. Levi had made a habit to take home far less than he actually won. The rest would go to drinks and tobacco, gifts to his defeated friends to keep them coming back.

One of the men began to reshuffle the deck as a pretty barmaid with curly black hair and gold rings in her ears brought over a tray filled with mugs of cold beer. Jan watched the barmaid as she set the new mugs on the table and scooped up the empty ones. As she sauntered off he raised an eyebrow at Levi, “Tasty little thing, isn’t she?”

Levi nodded, but did not say anything because he could not agree. The barmaid was probably in her mid-twenties, half the age of the men who gambled, drank and swore all around her. She reminded Levi of his own daughter back home and that caused his mind to wander. It was autumn and that mean the year’s second harvest was underway. He wondered how the rye had grown and wished he could be there to work the fields by day and fall asleep next to his wife at night. Yet he wore the silver badge – a fiery crown – of the First Heavy Cavalry Regiment. They were the elite of the Imperial Army, the Old Guard. They had marched from one end of the continent to the other to fulfill their sovereign’s dream of a united world. For twenty years – since the first of many conquests – Levi had worn the uniform and now… Now he was tired of war and wanted to go home.

But there was still work to be done.

“What shall we toast to?” asked another man at the table. “Our victory yesterday over the cultists?”

“No, to the Emperor!” cried Jan.

“To the safe return of Princess Mirna!” shouted a fourth.

“To fallen friends,” said Levi and his words cast a dour spell over the group.

“Aye, to fallen friends,” said Jan. They raised their mugs and met them together over the center of the table. Silence lingered over them like a light morning fog over a field. It was not until the cards were dealt and pipes were packed with fresh tobacco that smiles formed and the jokes flowed freely once more.

Without warning the door to the basement swung open and a breeze disturbed the thick, smoke filled air of the tavern. A dozen soldiers in black uniforms entered the tavern’s main room. The room went silent as the Old Guard turned and saw who had entered. There were a dozen of them, young men with fresh faces and bright eyes. Pinned to their doublets were silver badges fashioned in the shape of a skull pierced by a lightning bolt.

“Well look what we have here,” said Levi. “Some of the boys from the Second Regiment have decided to stop by.” The newcomers were standing just inside the tavern’s door looking around for an open table.

“The New Blood,” sneered Jan, using the popular nickname for the Second Regiment. “Bunch of gloryhounds. You hear what they did during the battle? Charged without orders.”

“It worked,” said Levi. “They broke the enemy’s line and carried the day.”

“Not the point,” grumbled Jan. “Bunch of upstarts. We were supposed to deliver the killing blow. They stole the moment of our glory!”

Levi nodded and a devilish smiled stretched across his face. He stood and addressed the newcomers. “Little hope of finding a table here, gentlemen. Might want to try one of the places down the street.” He gestured towards the far wall of the tavern with his mug. Beer sloshed over the lip.

The man at the forefront of the newcomers – a young corporal with slicked-back hair and an immaculate blonde moustache that curled upwards at the ends – met Levi’s eye and the older soldier saw youthful determination in his gaze. His own eyes had borne that look when he had been a young trooper ready to prove himself. “I believe we can squeeze into a corner booth. Barkeep! Get us a round of porter!”

“Now hold on, Jakov,” said Levi, addressing the tavern owner behind the bar. The portly man looked nervous. “I don’t want any trouble, good sirs,” said Jakov.

“There won’t be any trouble,” continued Levi without taking his eyes off of the corporal. “These gentlemen were just leaving.” The tension in the room could be tasted in the air. It cut through the stink of beer, tobacco smoke and sweat like an arrow in flight.

The blonde corporal took a moment to decide whether he would press the issue and with a wave of a gloved hand he motioned for his men to follow. “Looks like there’s a decent spot over there.” The newcomers began to weave through the crowd.

The soldiers of the Old Guard did not need to stand up and block their younger counterparts. They could have let the issue go and ignore the younger men as they settled into the corner of the room. But they were warriors. Opposition – not appeasement – was in their blood and what they sensed beneath the rolling tides of conscious thought that dominated their minds was that another tribe had entered their territory. And so it came as no surprise when three of the veterans stood up and blocked the young corporal and his friends from making it to the corner booth.

With his path blocked the handsome man stopped, raised one eyebrow and said, “Pardon me.”

The soldiers did not move. More stood up behind the newcomers, boxing them in. “Come now, gentlemen,” said Levi. “I am sure there are many fine taverns in this town.” It was one last chance. A request for surrender wrapped in the package of polite words. Yet, just as the older soldiers were warriors, so were the young men of the New Blood. They had the added weight of being the newcomers, not just to the tavern, but to the Emperor’s service. For the entirety of their short careers they had been compared to the Old Guard, and like most young men they were hungry to prove themselves.

The blonde corporal looked at Levi and for a moment it appeared they would back down. But the glint of determination sparked in the young man’s eye and he turned to the soldier blocking his path. “Move out of my way, old man.”

“You’ll have to make me, young pup,” said the unshaven veteran that stood in his way. Levi was not sure who pushed who first, but there was suddenly harsh shouting and the dull, meaty impact of fists striking faces.

The tavern exploded with sudden activity. Men scurried for the relative safety of the far side of the room, or scrambled at forgotten heaps of gold coins, half finished drinks and even – in the case of one rotund master sergeant – a plate of cheeses. Others, like Levi rushed into the thick of the fight.

Levi grabbed a young soldier by the collar and dragged him away from the scrum. The man turned and slammed his elbow into Levi’s mouth. He swore and punched his attacker in the face.

The man recoiled from Levi’s strikes and retreated towards the door of the tavern. Looking for a new opponent, Levi turned just in time for another member of the New Blood to tackle him. The younger soldier lifted him into the air and slammed him down into a chair. The furniture splintered into a mess of broken pieces as the breath was knocked from his lungs.

His attacker rained blows down on him, pummeling his ears, eyes and forehead. A boot came out of nowhere and dislodged the angry mass from atop Levi, who scrambled to his feet. He kicked his attacker and swore. The man did not get up but coughed on the ground and wheezed out, “Mercy!”

Levi’s face was a bloody pulp that would be nothing but a mask of bruises in the morning. But he was drunk and adrenaline coursed through his veins. He did not feel pain.

Yet, he could still think. Decades on the battlefield had given him a keen control of himself even when a fight was on. He searched the crowd until he found what he was looking for. With his split lip leaking blood down his chin and his left eye threatening to swell closed he pushed his way through the crowd. The handsome corporal had a member of the Old Guard in a headlock and was striking him repeatedly in the stomach. Levi grabbed him by the shoulder, spun him around and punched the corporal square in the jaw.

Like a marionette whose strings had been cut the blonde man dropped to the floor. The tavern went absolutely silent as the soldiers ceased their brawl and took notice of the titanic blow. “By the One God,” said a member of the New Blood, a private who looked about seventeen years old. “You punched out Hadmir. No one has ever punched out Hadmir.”

Levi looked down at the unconscious man and grabbed a half full beer from the bar. He splashed it in the corporal’s face and barked, “Wake up.”

Hadmir groaned and his eyelids fluttered. Levi grabbed his collar and hauled him up before snatching another beer and thrusting it into the younger soldier’s hands. “What’s going on?” asked Hadmir in bewilderment.

“Fight’s over,” said Levi. “Drink.” The corporal fumbled with the glass and took a big gulp of the brew. Levi turned. All eyes were on him and he felt tension bearing down on his shoulders. Without thinking he took a pouch off his belt, pulled open the drawstring and dumped the sum of his winnings on the bar. “Fight’s over,” he repeated. “Drinks on me. Jan, get your guitar, you old grouch.” He turned to the corporal, “Hadmir, is it?”

The younger soldier nodded. He eyed Levi like a small dog does a much larger one. Levi smiled and put a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “You’ve fought well, both here and on the battlefield.” He addressed the crowd in a louder voice, “If the Second Regiment is good enough for the Emperor, it’s good enough for me!” He held up a mug and drank half the beer in one go.

Throughout the tavern men raised their mugs in salute and took deep pulls. The tension ebbed away like air let out of a balloon. Levi let out a satisfied sigh and turned back to Hadmir. “Do you know what the Emperor’s favorite marching song is?”

“No,” admitted Hadmir.

Levi’s smile widened and without taking his eyes off the corporal he shouted, “Jan! Play, ‘The Buxom Duchess.’”

Five minutes later all the soldiers – Old Guard and New Blood alike – were swaying from side to side with their arms around each other’s shoulders and beer sloshing from the lips of their mugs. They were singing the bawdy lyrics of, “The Buxom Duchess,” which concerned a young knight and a lonely widow.

“You know,” said Hadmir as he leaned heavily on Levi, “you geezers really can fight.”

Levi smiled. All antagonism was gone, replaced with the rare brotherhood men experience after a fight. “You young’uns ain’t so soft yourselves.” They clanked their mugs together and joined in the song.

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
Anyone have suggestions for developing dialogue? I've found I'm not particularly interested in it and it seldom accompanies inspiration.

Also, any tips for continuing to slog through a piece after you've grown bored of it? I've found that after several pages no matter how well a session is going or how much inspiration I've remaining, I get bored with a scenario after a few pages. Perhaps that is the appropriate length and I need to better constrain my use of language to complete the thought within a narrower space?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If you have problems with dialogue, then don't. Have your characters do quick exchanges of three, four, half a dozen sentences, and move on to action instead.

Everyone has problem writing at one point. Everyone except hack writers get writer's block at one point. But not everyone is a novel writer. Some people can't do more than 60k words (a large novella/short novel). Some can't do more than 20k. And some can't do less than 150k.

(oh, and don't worry: your first story WILL be atrocious. Learn from the feedback, and move on the second. Nearly every bestselling author or mid-list one got his first books bounced. What's important is writing, and getting eyes on it once finished)

• 2Like

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
If you have problems with dialogue, then don't. Have your characters do quick exchanges of three, four, half a dozen sentences, and move on to action instead.

Everyone has problem writing at one point. Everyone except hack writers get writer's block at one point. But not everyone is a novel writer. Some people can't do more than 60k words (a large novella/short novel). Some can't do more than 20k. And some can't do less than 150k.

(oh, and don't worry: your first story WILL be atrocious. Learn from the feedback, and move on the second. Nearly every bestselling author or mid-list one got his first books bounced. What's important is writing, and getting eyes on it once finished)

Thanks! Hadnt actually considered that a reasonable option, but Ive never really paid attention to the amount of dialogue in books I've read either :0 presently there is no semblence of cohesion in what I've written. It's all in the same world, but I still haven't pieces together how it is all connected beyond that. I'm thinking about going for a smaller first book and then continue the story in subsequent releases (if I ever finish the first). I think that will allow me to get most of the ideas on the table and keep me interested...maybe :O and yes, the more I write the more I hate what I wrote before. I'll count it as a major win if I ever finish it though. Even if it is giant flaming pil of garbage :3

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
RIIIISE I say!

My better half made me put something together since I have more stories to shake a stick at. Would anyone be willing to read what I have so far? I'm not confident in posting for all to see. Plus I have not gone back and done any editing/proof reading etc. Just w ant to know what people think of the flow, characters, style etc.

Let me know!

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
RIIIISE I say!

My better half made me put something together since I have more stories to shake a stick at. Would anyone be willing to read what I have so far? I'm not confident in posting for all to see. Plus I have not gone back and done any editing/proof reading etc. Just w ant to know what people think of the flow, characters, style etc.

Let me know!
absolutely!

I'm a big proponent of a write specifying what they want / expect from alpha / beta readers. I used to drive my professors nuts since they were all like 'the writing has to stand on it's own'. Bullshit, I say. sure, the final writing yes, but not when you're learning or developing a story. You need to know if what you're trying to achieve is actually working. So by all means, let me know if there's specifics like that you want, or general feel , vibe, etc.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm an avid reader (consumer) of so many different series, and I've always wanted to try giving writing a chance. So this is the first step turning that idea into a reality. It's going to be a very slow, arduous process, but (hopefully) I'll be able to stick with it. That will be the biggest hurdle. As long as I don't give up, or get distracted by something else, this could become a reality. I've flagged the genre as LitRPG because that's what I see myself writing at some point. But this will NOT be that story. At least at first... It may merge into that story at a later date. First will be plenty of trial and error.

Ok, this first chapter is going to just be my thought process first (that's how I like to do things), followed by actually acting on those thoughts. Being that I'm such a fan of LitRPG, that's what I would like to eventually get into, so first I need to figure out how. I'm going to write a quick description about an area that I'm going to imagine. If writing is my goal, I need to figure out exactly how much detail is needed to give to things to make it passable. Some stories have lots of detail, others... not so much. A fluid story probably gets along better with vague detail at first, focusing only on more detail when needed. Similar to how we interact with the real world, barely taking in anything in our normal lives, only really paying attention to things when you need to. Actually, that seems like the best way to write. Let's' see...
I'm imaging a grass-covered field, with a small field ahead of me. It's a sunny day, but neither hot nor cold. It's just comfortable. There's a breeze as well. Strangely, I keep thinking of this field as a room. Maybe It's my old days of gaming coming back, where each area is a zone. A field could easily be a zone, with a dark forest the next zone over, a bustling ancient city, also the next zone over.

Now I'm thinking about a zone in Everquest again. This isn't that, but it's still a grassy field with a hill. This is cut grass. It's short and well-kept. I can't tell what's beyond the field, because I'm only paying attention to what's immediately around me. That said, I'm seeing trees scattered about. The ground is soft-ish. It isn't densely packed dirt under the grass. There is a very slight give with each step you take. I need to make a note of that, because it feels like if I'm running, it could cause me to lose my balance if I'm not careful. Just remember, it won't be like running on concrete. Ok, that's a lot of detail. Too much. Let's try to say less.
I'm in a grassy field. I can hear insects buzzing and chirping. Looking around, there's a few trees here and there, but it's mostly an empty field. Up ahead there's a hill, so let's head that way. Walking is easy in this field. It's a very comfortable day with a nice breeze. It's the afternoon, and the sun's out without a lot of clouds in the sky. I'm drowning in details, though.

Moving towards the hill is easy. It's not even much of a hill, but it's a little higher than where I'm standing now. It should make looking around easier. A few minutes later, that was proven true. Yeah, I'm able to see all around now. The field is pretty big. Looks to be a few miles around, and somehow I appeared in the middle of it. Strange.
Looking at my arms and legs, I'm still the same person that I've always been. I'm just in a new place. I don't remember how I got into this field. It's like a dream, but even thinking "dream" tells me it isn't. This field is pretty large, and it's circled in trees. I'm not able to see what's beyond the trees in either direction, so I'll just pick a direction and go that way. I sweat easily, so I want to walk against the wind. That way it's constantly blowing across me, cooling me down. I couldn't tell you what direction I'm walking, but I'm walking into the wind, so all is good. If I need to walk the other direction later, walking with the wind will make it that much easier. For now, just focus on getting to the trees in the distance.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I did a google search for AI plot for basic fantasy story and this is the result it gave me when I didn't fill any of the criteria in.

Act 1:
- The protagonist is introduced, living a mundane life in the country-side. He has a vague awareness of a world beyond the everyday, where supernatural creatures dwell.
- The protagonist encounters the antagonist. They are a powerful wizard, undying and nearly invincible.
- The antagonist challenges the protagonist and tells them of the powers they can possess, if chosen.
- The protagonist accepts the challenge and sets off to a distant kingdom, their destiny waiting for them to be fulfilled.

Act 2:
- Arriving in the kingdom, the protagonist discovers miracles and wonders beyond compare. They find a mentor to guide them in their quest and meet strange allies on the way.
- The protagonist and their allies face a great challenge - they must restore the ancient artifacts of the kingdom before the antagonist can find them.
- Along the perilous journey, the protagonist discovers many secrets about their own powers and the power of their opponents.
- The group eventually succeeds in restoring the artifacts and defeats another minion of the antagonist.

Act 3:
- In the final act, the protagonist and their allies return to the kingdom to face the true might of the antagonist.
- The two groups battle in a grand final showdown with all the stakes of the kingdom on the line.
- After a long and grueling fight, the protagonist finds a way to defeat their enemy and restore peace to the kingdom.
- In the end, the protagonist learns the true power of their destiny and the kingdom is saved.
- The protagonist is left with a newfound respect for their own power, mentorship, and allies, and they will use this newfound strength to battle evil wherever it may lurk.

Ok, there's a lot to go off of here, so I'm going to try writing a little bit at a time. Actually, I'm going to try maybe doing the Act 1. So here's a basic synopsis of what the AI plot came up with. Character knows they are normal and not special. But they are somehow aware of another world where they could become more than normal. Almost super hero status. A wizard tells them to complete a quest by going to this other world It's basic, but that pretty much sums it up.

_____
_____

I awaken startled. I'm damp from sweat, but I'm alone in my room. Yesterday, I spent the day trimming the over-growing hedges in the back yard of my apartment. I went to bed exhausted, and was planning on sleeping clear through the night until the neighbor's rooster woke me up around sunrise. That damn bird is unforgiving. But I guess I was having a nightmare before I woke up. I don't really remember much about it, except there were these man-sized dogs that walked on 2 legs and used their front legs as arms. Pretty crazy stuff, if you don't mind me saying. I know it was just a dream, but it felt vaguely familiar for whatever reason.
What was I doing in that dream? I know the werewolf type things were present, but I don't remember if they were friend or enemy. And they didn't feel like monsters. Just like they had always been there. Hmm... I can't remember anything else, no matter how much I try. All I can think to do now is drink a little water and use the restroom. I always have to take a leak the moment I wake up. After taking care of those two tasks, it's time to go back to bed. I'm awake, but only partially. I'm way more sleepy than not, so it probably won't take very long. I hate trying to fall asleep though. Suddenly my brain is very active, just to prevent myself from falling into a resting state. I'll get there eventually, but first it always takes my mental plans. Counting every exhale, one through four, then back down to one again. I do this over and over again until I stop thinking about anything else and eventually wake up in the morning. It's rare for me to ever remember dreams, so those werewolf things a little bit ago were a strange. Another thing just popped into my head. I don't remember being afraid of them, just an awareness that they were present.
One, two, three, four, four, three, two, one. I'm trying to breath somewhat quick, just like I do when I'm asleep. When I'm awake, I typically take long deep breaths, but at night, I take abrupt half-breaths. One, two, three, four, four, three, two, one, one, two, three... The wizard was sitting down in the grass when I walked past him. I kept thinking that he was going to get his dark blue robe dirty. He probably has some spell to clean it off anyway, so I doubt he cares. Wizards always take everyone else as idiots, just because we weren't taught to do things at the magic academy.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The wizard was sitting down in the grass when I walked past him. I kept thinking that he was going to get his dark blue robe dirty. He probably has some spell to clean it off anyway, so I doubt he cares. Wizards always take everyone else as idiots, just because we weren't taught to do things at the magic academy.

He looked up as I walked past, and muttered "loser" under his breath. He had no reason to say that, and I instantly got pissed off. Sure, he's sitting all alone in the grass and I walked right in front of him, but still. I turned around and looked at his eyes.

That seemed to be the just cause he needed to step into action. He stood up and started laughing at me. At least I think it was a laugh. It kinda sounded a little like a smoker's cough, but he didn't smell like tobacco. I've always hated wizards, but I guess it's really because I'm not one. I'm just a normal guy, nothing special about me. But that wizard really annoyed me. Just calling me a loser shouldn't be enough to set someone off, but it felt like he had a magnifying glass and had appraised my entire life to come to that conclusion. It hit close to home.

The wizard smiled now and said "Yeah, I thought so" before laughing again. I turned around to continue walking, and he said "running away already? That wouldn't be a bad decision, but maybe you'd like to change your fate a bit? I have a way for you to do just that if you're willing to take a few risks."

This is probably a prank, but I wasn't really doing anything else today, so I asked him a little more about it. What he told me amounted to a quest. It reminded me a lot of playing MMO's in my past. What he told me is that I should get a dagger from this abandoned institute the next town over. The dagger is on the 3rd floor of the institute in a back room. The problem with the institute is that it has been closed for years, but there's a wall around the property and none of the gates are unlocked. There's also randomly police that show up as security, just to make sure people aren't breaking into the place, or up to no good.

But this wizard had a way to get into the institute, so you won't encounter any of the police. You had to wander around inside the wooded area a little outside of the institute walls, and cross over the creek flowing through it. Once on the other side of the creek, walk with the water on your right side and find the drainage basin that's below the wall. There were bars covering the drainage tunnel, but they've been removed over the years. Now it's just an opening that drains into the creek. The tunnel itself is concrete and about 5 feet around. It's big enough to easily walk through, but you'll have to crouch down. There's also water running down the middle of this pipe the entire time, but the water right now is only about 6 inches across, so you can easily step on either side of it to travel. The only down side is it's pitch black, like a cave. Oh, and you'll be walking up a slope the entire time in the tunnel, and your steps will never be on a flat surface because it's the inside of a circle. There's also zero light coming in, because aside from where you first enter the tunnel, it's entirely underground.

Fortunately I always carry a small flashlight for those "just in case" situations. This turned out to be one of them. The tunnel seemed to go on for about a mile, before coming to a metal ladder about 10 feet tall that goes up to a manhole cover. Even though it's heavy, I was able to slide the cover out of the way and climb out of the hole. From up here, It's still daylight, so I can see again. I'm inside of the walled area, and the institute is in front of me. After doing a quick walk around the building, none of the doors are unlocked. Fortunately, when I climbed up the ladder, behind me was the wall, but was more of a hallway than a wall. It just looked that way from the outside, but it was easily 6 to 8 feet across. And at the base of the wall are windows without that you can get inside of the wall with. So It was time to try that method.