The 'Yet Another Mass Murder' Thread

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
whenever these threads pop up, people should realize that 9/11 did not involve any guns. no planes were hijacked at gunpoint. and these shootings always seem to happen in places with strict gun laws. any time you restrict somebody from having something the more they will want it and wont know what to do when they have it because they have no context on how they should act.
Are you saying 9/11 happened because they weren't allowed to hijack planes, so that created a desire and then they didn't know what to do with them so flew them into buildings?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
whenever these threads pop up, people should realize that 9/11 did not involve any guns. no planes were hijacked at gunpoint. and these shootings always seem to happen in places with strict gun laws. any time you restrict somebody from having something the more they will want it and wont know what to do when they have it because they have no context on how they should act.
Funny thing is that the FAA has had rules against carrying a gun in the cabin unless you had specific clearance as an air marshall or something else to carry one there.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We are way past the point of banning guns here in US. But there is things we can do to try and keep guns from the mentally challenged. Still there are avenues to get guns illegally even for the mentally challenged. I see things like this incident as problems that should of been solved by people around him. Im betting there were numerous red flags all over the place, yet no one acted on a single one of them.

Vaclav

We are way past the point of banning guns here in US. But there is things we can do to try and keep guns from the mentally challenged. Still there are avenues to get guns illegally even for the mentally challenged. I see things like this incident as problems that should of been solved by people around him. Im betting there were numerous red flags all over the place, yet no one acted on a single one of them.
Depends on the type of gun - pistols and concealables still aren't that plentiful in comparison - something like 70% of guns are longarms still IIRC. (Ownershipwise I'm finding the stat right now rather than off my head that 34% of people own a long arm, 17% own a pistol - but there is some overlap, plus that doesn't distinguish quantity)

The idea of something with such lethality being concealable is something I have a problem with - I don't care when they're a longarm though.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I see it as the opposite. Handguns are significantly less accurate and generally much less dangerous than most rifles

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Funny thing is that the FAA has had rules against carrying a gun in the cabin unless you had specific clearance as an air marshall or something else to carry one there.
which is why pilots started asking that they could be armed the next day.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I see it as the opposite. Handguns are significantly less accurate and generally much less dangerous than most rifles
and yet more people in america die from drowning in bath tubs or being beaten to death by sticks and stones than rifles.

Vaclav

which is why pilots started asking that they could be armed the next day.
Pilots clearly aren't an example of an extra category that might be considered different than a regular passenger after all. How many jets does the FAA allow passengers to carry guns into the cabin of again?

Not to mention I said cabin in the first place even, you know, the part of the plane that's NOT GOT THE PILOT IN IT.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
and yet more people in america die from drowning in bath tubs or being beaten to death by sticks and stones than rifles.
Way more people die from guns than drowning in bathtubs. More people die by guns than all drownings by a ratio of 5:1. I

Vaclav

Way more people die from guns than drowning in bathtubs. More people die by guns than all drownings by a ratio of 5:1. I
He said rifles though - which is likely accurate, very few shooters use long arms - likely because of concealability IMO. You see someone with a rifle aiming, you respond quicker than they're likely aiming especially with how many long arms really require a scope that makes you prone to narrow your view.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
He said rifles, specifically. Around 90% of all gun homicides are from hand guns. Rifles make up an exceedingly small portion of homicides. And that's because most gun violence is gang related, and concealment is needed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He said rifles, specifically. Around 90% of all gun homicides are from hand guns. Rifles make up an exceedingly small portion of homicides. And that's because most gun violence is gang related, and concealment is needed.
isn't it more like 99%, not 90%?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I did miss the rifle part. It appears they're both roughly equal and range between 300-400 a year. They're also almost all babies. So past 2 years old, you're way more likely to die by a rifle.

And for the record, I'm not anti-gun. I own an HK45, Glock 40, Colt AR-15, and Remington VMT semi-auto. I just hate retarded arguments. I also have no problem with new gun laws aimed at reducing crazy people's ability to get them.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
We have a whole thread right here:http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...rijuana/page72that goes into great detail talking about the total insanity of the prohibition of a drug and how it has been a massive societal failure. Yet, we have people on here who would tell us that the solution to "gun violence" is the prohibition of guns.
Because someone smoking a bowl and someone shooting up a school are the same thing. That's just a variation on the "Why even have laws?" argument.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Because someone smoking a bowl and someone shooting up a school are the same thing. That's just a variation on the "Why even have laws?" argument.
Are you that dense? People want guns. Just like people want drugs. You might not like or agree with their need for guns or their need for drugs but that is irrelevant to the fact that there is an enormous demand for them. How well has banning MJ worked out for this country? The cat is out of the bag regarding guns in this country. You are not putting it back in. Pass all the gun laws and restrictions you want and all you will succeed in doing is turning millions of people into criminals but you will not reduce the number of guns nor will you reduce the amount of violence. You will only increase the amount of violence which goes hand in hand with any black market. Instead of drug cartels shipping MJ and other drugs in, you will have "gun cartels" shipping in weapons.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Since the handgun bans in some cities have been overturned by Heller, has there been an increase in gun violence in those cities? At least, moreso than other cities?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So you must be terrified of miniguns and rocket launchers, they're much more dangerous than most rifles.
Not sure what your point is, but yes I would be more afraid of some jackass walking around with any of those things. And if he had a nuclear bomb? Fuck that