Tom Clancy's The Division

Sulrn

Deuces
Not to detract from your statement, but wasn't Watch Dogs considered a flop by the majority of gamers and is only touted by 'critics' as being "good"? It looked pretty underwhelming so I never played it. I ask, because I remember a youtuber distinctly saying that Ubi took the worst elements of Watch Dogs for the Division and is fairly similarly (to Watch Dogs) as a bait and switch as far as pre-release marketing hype is concerned.

[Edit] Yeah - 77 critic /4.6 User score [Metacritic] // Mixed [Steam]

So, yeah. Not sure I'd be comparing it to WD if trying to recommend the game.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Not to detract from your statement, but wasn't Watch Dogs considered a flop by the majority of gamers and is only touted by 'critics' as being "good"? It looked pretty underwhelming so I never played it. I ask, because I remember a youtuber distinctly saying that Ubi took the worst elements of Watch Dogs for the Division and is fairly similarly (to Watch Dogs) as a bait and switch as far as pre-release marketing hype is concerned.

[Edit] Yeah - 77 critic /4.6 User score [Metacritic] // Mixed [Steam]

So, yeah. Not sure I'd be comparing it to WD if trying to recommend the game.
Nope its fairly accurate if you played the alpha The way the city works is while youre doing missions and such there are also transmissions and random events that either pop up or you see happening on your map. The city has things going on all the time and if youre in the area you can participate or if you see something on your map you can go to it and take care of it. The world is laid out in the style of watchdogs for random things happening at any given moment. It feeds into the world in the sense that if youre too low for the next quest or just need something to do you can venture forth into an area of your respective level and surely find something to do. Sure WD was ass but some of its elements could easily be retooled into a proper setting hence The Division.

The Destiny aspect comes from how loot is obtained, the ability to run missions(strikes) and take down the bads for loot rewards etc. The story seems to have a centralized base you can upgrade over time that directly also affects your main char in how he can alter his talents and specialize himself. However you can also switch these on the fly incase youre in a situation where you feel you want to be more medic than tech. Like most games it will be hit or miss for any audience but as stated the main toss up for me is the long game. I dont want to be bored like i was in Destiny after a week and they've said jack of shit about raids and end game content.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Destiny's healthy end-game offerings.
This made me laugh out loud and almost spill my coffee all over my shirt.

So it is looking like this is one to stay away from? Spronk and I share the same opinion on games for the most part, and Ubisoft has been a gigantic shit generator. He was dead on with RB Siege. That thing was a piece of garbage. Interested to hear what people think of the beta.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I knew this game would be a piece of shit since the moment they did that big 'reveal' at PS4 launch. A company trying to sell a game so hard that early is always a good sign.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I knew this game would be a piece of shit since the moment they did that big 'reveal' at PS4 launch. A company trying to sell a game so hard that early is always a good sign.
Between this, RB Siege, and Far Cry Primal (Which I also think will be a huge bust) and no assassin's creed being released this year (Thank God) maybe they will start putting some effort behind their titles again.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Guys guys guys,

stop making me sad about any games I've gotten excited about. (Homeworld, this, even fallout 4 which I broke down and bought new had the disapointments)

PS: Yes what I really mean is wtf game industry this year/past year.

Oh, and can't get uplay client to show the game despite my beta alert email for pre load. Even trying in non peak AM.

spronk

FPS noob
To be honest I don't know how a company would even create a game that would be good for the long haul. Either you create a game that is really good at launch and has deep, interesting content that has a measurable amount of time to finish - Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Syndicate, GTA5, etc - or you create a game that has well designed multiplayer repetitive legs for multiple skill classes - MOBAs, Black Ops 3, Minecraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch. Unfortunately Division/Destiny/ESO try to do both - an MMO-lite that has you playing all the time while chasing loot carrots and trying to release as few new content updates as possible - seems doomed to fail. The only one I've seen sort of work is FF14, and even they have apparently stumbled now. People consume new content way too fast to ever imagine you can create new content fast enough.

I don't want to break any NDAs until the beta opens up this weekend so I'll refrain from being specific about division until then, but nothing I've seen indicates any new ideas in the game from things we have all seen a million times.

You can check your beta status for Division here... sort of
https://account-uplay.ubi.com/en-US/beta-access

after you login it still seems wonky, like yesterday it showed my keys for CB1 for ps4/xbone/PC but today its only showing Xbone.

For PC users there is also a new WHQL nvidia driver that came out today, personally i wouldn't install a day zero driver and the beta works fine with the last one (some small issues when alt tabbed and stuff but no big deals).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Content in games is obiterated quite quickly, especially in games like this and Destiny - hell they thought Destiny raids would have legs but most teams cleared them in just hours and got the "Now whats next?" feel instantly. This game will likely be no different from that, especially if there is no end game at all which is what its kinda starting to look like. However be at as it may i still easily put over 100hours into Destiny at launch and similar to TTTK before i shelved it and thats still much more time spent than almost every other release i can think about Witcher 3 included and Witcher is a better game even if a different type.

So long as i get my $60 worth in the end im ok with that and im pretty sure the initial carrot on The Divisions stick will atleast give me 40-60 hours of leveling, missions, and trying to get the best gear before i sling it aside.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am really interested in playing on the engine on a PC more than anything

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
To be honest I don't know how a company would even create a game that would be good for the long haul. Either you create a game that is really good at launch and has deep, interesting content that has a measurable amount of time to finish - Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect, Syndicate, GTA5, etc - or you create a game that has well designed multiplayer repetitive legs for multiple skill classes - MOBAs, Black Ops 3, Minecraft, Hearthstone, Overwatch. Unfortunately Division/Destiny/ESO try to do both - an MMO-lite that has you playing all the time while chasing loot carrots and trying to release as few new content updates as possible - seems doomed to fail. The only one I've seen sort of work is FF14, and even they have apparently stumbled now. People consume new content way too fast to ever imagine you can create new content fast enough.

I don't want to break any NDAs until the beta opens up this weekend so I'll refrain from being specific about division until then, but nothing I've seen indicates any new ideas in the game from things we have all seen a million times.
I just operate under the assumption that there will never be another MMO that keeps me occupied for years like EQ1 did. When you run out of PVE content, you either switch to a different game or you PVP while you wait for new PVE content. Best example of that is the latest SWTOR expansion. It took me a grand total of 3 days to complete the story quest.

There are a couple of generations of gamers who have grown up primarily playing FPS shooters on consoles. I was under the assumption games like Destiny have instanced team vs team PVP similar to FPS shooters like Call of Duty because they are specifically targeting the FPS shooter demographic. By design the instanced PVP is the time filler while you wait for new PVE content.

The little bit of information I have on this game led me to believe it had open world PVP which might make it more meaningful than instanced team on teams games if that allowed your clan to control territory.

spronk

FPS noob
no clan support and nothing is persistent, you just connect to random world server #x with 0-3 friends, go into a the large dark zone areas (they are segregated by levels, 1-10, 7-14, 12-20, etc - only 1-10 is open in beta), pve and pvp as you want, extract loot via chopper, and zone out. You can level up dark zone (1-20) and PK levels (1-5) by doing stuff in the DZs and get rewards, but it doesn't let you control anything and all the NPCs are on a fixed respawn timer. It reminds me a lot of Destiny public events, if other players could attack you while you were doing one and then steal all your loot drops.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Looking forwards to trying it, but free for all pvp with loot stealing featuring pre set extraction points sounds like something that was created by someone completely new to gaming.

PvP featuring loot/loss of items can escalate quickly from "exciting" to "fuck this shit". Especially if you have no control. If the extraction can happen anywhere it would be a different case. At least then it would be somewhat tactical, allowing for you to hide or at least scout areas first.

As it stands, I doubt it will take more than a few hours for every DZ extraction area available in the beta to be camped quickly gearing the campers making them even more effective at killing you....with your own loot.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There are multiple extraction points scattered throughout the DZ and just like the normal city there are different levels of enemies in different spots. There are also safe zones you can go into if the need arises. However yes DZ was made for PVP/E really so if you go in alone and you die well then you kinda know what youre getting yourself into.

Malkav

French Madman
They also said that the DZ instances are balanced not to be crawling with players. More like having a few teams roaming it, so you don't me someone else every 10 fucking meters. So having every extraction point camped is a less than likely scenario.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah i dont think i saw more than 12 people when i was roaming DZ - its large enough that a team coming from the other side "can" make it to you in time to attack but they may also end up fighting other NPCs along the way.

Also in the alpha i didnt see any amazing weapons or such in the DZ so its not like it will just raining awesome shit either and youre more likely to end up killing someone and just getting some cosmetic shit. All in all the DZ is ok for what it is, but it needs a PVE counterpart for end game.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ok, so someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong. I preordered on Amazon for PS4. Got my Amazon email right away with the beta access code attached. Entered it into my uplay account and received another email from Ubisoft thanking me for registering for the beta and I'm now guaranteed to get in blah blah and they will send me another email with a key. If I look at beta access under my uplay account it says I don't have any. So, with no access flag on my account, how do I start preloading on PS4? Sounds like I am supposed to be getting a second beta key it's just is taking more than 24 hours to send (preordered yesterday)? The beta code from Amazon arrived immediately and I thought that was all I'd need to get going.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ok, so someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong. I preordered on Amazon for PS4. Got my Amazon email right away with the beta access code attached. Entered it into my uplay account and received another email from Ubisoft thanking me for registering for the beta and I'm now guaranteed to get in blah blah and they will send me another email with a key. If I look at beta access under my uplay account it says I don't have any. So, with no access flag on my account, how do I start preloading on PS4? Sounds like I am supposed to be getting a second beta key it's just is taking more than 24 hours to send (preordered yesterday)? The beta code from Amazon arrived immediately and I thought that was all I'd need to get going.
This thread may help otherwise someone in that sub should be able to helpForce Key from Uplay for Console Click Show Access Key if you already signed up should show PS4 Or Xbox One Key. : thedivision

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I didnt enter mine on uplay, i think i entered mine on thedivision.com/beta? and then i got 2nd email right away.