Torrents

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Peasants ...

3283005479.png

Getting back on point, you should also try reducing your maximum number of connections (your router might not be able to handle that many). Not sure what the default is, but try halving that and do a quick test.
Yeah like I said, my concurrent connections is limited to 75 now, no change (was 300 before). I've personally stress tested my router with 100k concurrent virtual connections (limited by my CPU/memory), so I doubt 75 connections is killing me, but I won't count it out.

I am away of the difference between bytes/bits (if I didn't take my degree away LOL), and I am sure that I am limiting myself enough that I shouldn't be destroying my connection. It's kind of fruity because before I didn't have this problem, just recently it seems. Maybe Comcast is fucking with me, I don't know.

I'll keep dropping the numbers and see if I can figure it out.

It could be that I'm not on stock firmware as well, I guess that's my only real change from what I used to run. I'll fix this mothafuckin shit tomorrow.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I feel it's an ISP throttling thing. I've had 5+ ISPs over the last few years and torrents/youtube feel different on all of them. Some of them come to a halt when torrenting no matter how few connections/low the speed is relative to max. Some I can have pretty much infinite connections with no performance degradation unless I hit the speed cap. Had good luck with Time Warner and bad with Comcast, but I think it may be more nuanced and just depend on their local hardware and what node you happen to be put on.

To get around it you may want to grab a VPN. Will not only make torrenting safer, but will funnel all your traffic through a single connection to your ISP, while still letting you have a ton of connections while torrenting. PIA (privateinternetaccess) is $40 a year and you can get a month or something to try it.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Which is awesome in theory, but I've never seen my cable modem work properly like that. I can max out my connection either up or down to my seedbox when FTPing a file, and maxing either up or down absolutely kills all other internet access on my network.

If I'm downloading a 20gig blu-ray movie at 50mbps on my desktop(wired), it pushes my dropcam completely offline(uploads over wireless), and if I upload to my FTP server at 5mbps, nobody is getting any internet surfing done, nothing works.

I've been with the same ISP/cable company (Time Warner) for 15 years, and I've never, ever been able to max both my upload and download simultaneously in real-life usage. Generally if one direction is maxed, the other can't get anything through.

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a speedtest-type site around that pushed both upload and download bandwith simultaneously, that would be interesting.
I honestly don't know all the ins and outs of full duplex, etc. but I've experienced this multiple times with my Comcast Business internet, and all I have to do is remove the upload limiter on uTorrent and I easily get full speed both up and down. Obviously nothing else on the network works very well then, but that's to be expected. I've only got something like 22 down and 3 up, so nothing special at all, but I can easily watch it max out both directions and stay there for hours. It used to do that all the time years ago too, until I figured out that I needed to limit my upload speed to have any OTHER program download properly. But uTorrent itself would consistently max both directions, no problem. So it doesn't seem to be something limited by the actual pipe, but how the various programs actually attempt to interact with each other and the router. Or something technical-sounding like that.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
To get around it you may want to grab a VPN. Will not only make torrenting safer, but will funnel all your traffic through a single connection to your ISP, while still letting you have a ton of connections while torrenting. PIA (privateinternetaccess) is $40 a year and you can get a month or something to try it.
I'm a big proponent of PIA, so another bonus is that, if you have a Whatbox, you can connect to the Netherlands server and get blazing fast download speeds. I often like to keep my "standard" server set to a Los Angeles server because it still keeps me "protected" but doesn't block me when I try to buy something from Steam or Amazon and it says, "Fuck you, you're in Sweden, not California!" But often the "local" servers don't always give me max speed from my NL Whatbox, and obviously trying to do it from my real IP address without a VPN is even worse, so switching to that NL server solves everything.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Which is awesome in theory, but I've never seen my cable modem work properly like that. I can max out my connection either up or down to my seedbox when FTPing a file, and maxing either up or down absolutely kills all other internet access on my network.

If I'm downloading a 20gig blu-ray movie at 50mbps on my desktop(wired), it pushes my dropcam completely offline(uploads over wireless), and if I upload to my FTP server at 5mbps, nobody is getting any internet surfing done, nothing works.

I've been with the same ISP/cable company (Time Warner) for 15 years, and I've never, ever been able to max both my upload and download simultaneously in real-life usage. Generally if one direction is maxed, the other can't get anything through.

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a speedtest-type site around that pushed both upload and download bandwith simultaneously, that would be interesting.
Maxing out either direction can hamper performance because the ack packets have to wait in the transmission queue behind all your data, and when those things get delayed bandwidth won't be utilized properly.

But thats not what you said, you said using "half" of your upload capacity will also eat half your download capacity. Which is some pretty cockeyed stupid shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Maxing out either direction can hamper performance because the ack packets have to wait in the transmission queue behind all your data, and when those things get delayed bandwidth won't be utilized properly.

But thats not what you said, you said using "half" of your upload capacity will also eat half your download capacity. Which is some pretty cockeyed stupid shit.
I'm just giving my personal experience. I'd generally have to set my upload and download limit both WELL under half my theoretical maximum to not noticeably hamper other internet traffic on my network(which is why I recommended the 1/4 mark). Could it be that number of connections also tied into that? Maybe, I never really spent the time min/maxing number of connections vs bandwith caps up and down to find the perfect sweet spot. I just know that on my internet connection, one or the other at 100% kills other traffic & connections, or both at 50% pretty much does the same. The OP had poor performance with torrenting, and I chimed in with what I found out ended up working for me. There's a lot of things in the PC world that *should* work a certain way according to the numbers, but they don't in practical use.

I'm also willing to bet that anyone's individual situation is going to vary wildly based on the quality of their modem & router as well.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Finally setup a torrent/backup box so I don't keep my desktop on all the time. Running transmission + flexget on debian atm.

Setting up the rss feed made me realize how many fucking shows I'm watching and I'm starting to think I should do better things with my time (although they don't seem to take more than 1-2h / day to keep up with).

- Almost Human
- Archer
- Arrow
- Banshee
- Bitten
- Black Sails
- Boss
- Castle
- Defiance
- Dracula
- Elementary
- Game of Thrones
- Hannibal
- Happy Endings
- Helix
- House of Lies
- Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Last Resort
- Leverage
- Lost Girl
- Mad Men
- Magic City
- Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Modern Family
- Orphan Black
- Person of Interest
- Ray Donovan
- Scandal
- Sherlock
- Sons of Anarchy
- South Park
- Suits
- Supernatural
- True Blood
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Blacklist
- The Borgias
- The Good Wife
- The League
- The Mentalist
- The Newsroom
- The Originals
- The Tomorrow People
- The Vampire Diaries
- The Walking Dead
- The Musketeers
- True Detective
- Under the Dome
- Vikings
- White Collar

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ahhh that's too much tv for me
Lol, Sickbeard I use for Usenets keeps track of all my shows, and downloads them when new shows are available. I think I have 84 shows on it, while 50-60 of them are active.

But of course, while 50-60 are active and not cancelled, doesn't mean they are all actively having new episodes every week. The beauty of the TV season, and the breaks in between!!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I watch three TV shows: Ghost Adventures (LOL), Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad (over). My wife on the other hand probably watches the same amount as you guys, just replaced with trashy reality tv.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I need to actually find a few more decent shows to watch. I usually have 2 or 3 shows tops that are in-season at any given time. Right now I'm watching Archer, True Detective and Shameless and that's it, so about 2.5 hours of TV a week. Once those are over it will be just about time for Game of Thrones thankfully. I do watch a lot of sports, so that fills the gap, but it's still nice to have something halfway interesting on the TV when you're dicking around on the computer, and it doesn't seem like there's much out there.

On the flip side, the TV that my wife watches is constantly 95% full on the DVR. Crazy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There are a lot of shows that I get, that I haven't even started watching yet, but it's easier to get them now, than try and get them later.

Shameless is one of them. Watched a few episodes, and liked it, but have so many other shows to watch just never got around to keeping up with it. Will have a marathon one of these days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Port forwarding seemed to help a little, but I'm still kicking people off the internet. Also I noticed my router is restarting during this time. I'm thinking I might need to retire my router
frown.png
Favorite router I've ever had to.

I might look at those new Asus models, they any good?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Port forwarding seemed to help a little, but I'm still kicking people off the internet. Also I noticed my router is restarting during this time. I'm thinking I might need to retire my router
frown.png
Favorite router I've ever had to.

I might look at those new Asus models, they any good?
They run warm but are very fast.