Trailer for what could be the best martial arts movie of all time

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I guess if you had never seen a Bruce Lee movie or Jackie Chan movie or virtually any actual martial arts movie, you might mistakenly think some 80s B movie was the greatest martial arts film of all time.
i have seen game of death and enter the dragon, maybe those arent the "good" ones or whatever, but i found both movies boring. bruce lee was accomplished nobody can deny, but he was overrated and that screaming shit he did was just silly.

Jackie chan is also accomplished and some of his movies are crazy, but i wouldnt consider them crazy because of martial arts, i say they crazy because jackie chan has a fucking death wish and shows you how many ways he almost killed himself during the film. and secondly his movies have lots of comedy based fights wheres as bloodsport they kept the comedy outside the "ring".

bloodsport was just straight up awesome. with iconic fighting scenes, training montages, cheesy lines, cheesy actors and over the top villains. i cant even think about bloodsport without breaking a smile. that shit was the best and will always be the best.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If youve seen Bloodsport, there is prolly not a single scene that didnt work for the movie/story.
That its based on RL stuff is just the icing on the cake.

Szlia

I must say I am not a big fan of the Bruce Lee movies, so I was trying to find a good example of a great martial art movie from Hong Kong that is older than Bloodsports. Truth be told, a lot of the classics by Chang Cheh are very campy after all these years and even John Woo's homage to his master, Last Hurrah for Chivalery (1977!), is most enjoyable for those who understand what it is an homage to. But then there are King Hu movies or, a lesser known personal favorite of mine, the amazing The Sword by Patrick Tam (1980). Patrick Tam who was seen as a mentor for many directors of the '90s I believe. Check the editing, framing and sense of pace in that clip:

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I always had a soft spot for The Perfect Weapon, and the practically invincible Chinese muscle dude in it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The rl frank dux was a fraud. I think he did time for lying about his military experience and citations.

Edit-
According to wiki. He didnt do time, he is just a bad liar. Apparently the kumites he won trophies from were held at his own address and the trophies he claimed to have won he personally bought at the store.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Directed by Keanu Reeves?
112.jpg

Dyvim

I bet its really directed by Eomer when Keanu dropped it for something he likes more but since they allready had printed posters and such they left his name on it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i have seen game of death and enter the dragon, maybe those arent the "good" ones or whatever, but i found both movies boring. bruce lee was accomplished nobody can deny, but he was overrated and that screaming shit he did was just silly.

Jackie chan is also accomplished and some of his movies are crazy, but i wouldnt consider them crazy because of martial arts, i say they crazy because jackie chan has a fucking death wish and shows you how many ways he almost killed himself during the film. and secondly his movies have lots of comedy based fights wheres as bloodsport they kept the comedy outside the "ring".

bloodsport was just straight up awesome. with iconic fighting scenes, training montages, cheesy lines, cheesy actors and over the top villains. i cant even think about bloodsport without breaking a smile. that shit was the best and will always be the best.
Those are just the first two examples I came up with, literally any real martial arts movie is better than this b movie shit, bro. Jackie Chan is a fucking beast, Police Story is so fucking badass, man I haven't seen that movie in like 15 years, time to make that happen.

More recently I watched the Ip Man series with Donnie Yen, those are great movies. I'm not really into the genre anymore, I don't really know what all is out now. My stepbrothers used to watch those shitty movies like Best of the Best and Bloodsport and I could never do it, even as a kid they were awful.

Dyvim

C'mon didnt other peeps pretend you were a Keanu look alike?
Im sure that would work out with this masterpiece of modern cinema as well ;-)

Ninja edit found that gem i remembered in the forum:

Maybe it just has special significance to me because my first night in Japan a few years back we went to some bizarre little bar in Nagano where the bartender was dressed up as Jack Sparrow, and the first thing out of his mouth when we walked in was to point at my friend and say "KEANU REEVES?" That was about the extent of his English. I just about fucking died laughing, no one else (including the bartender) could understand what was so goddamn funny.
And yes i remembered that shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No, Goliath was the Keanu look-alike. Well, now he looks more like Keanette.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Those are just the first two examples I came up with, literally any real martial arts movie is better than this b movie shit, bro. Jackie Chan is a fucking beast, Police Story is so fucking badass, man I haven't seen that movie in like 15 years, time to make that happen.

More recently I watched the Ip Man series with Donnie Yen, those are great movies. I'm not really into the genre anymore, I don't really know what all is out now. My stepbrothers used to watch those shitty movies like Best of the Best and Bloodsport and I could never do it, even as a kid they were awful.
you are looking at this all wrong. you are thinking of movies with great martial arts in it.
those movies have better karate, have longer fight scenes, but between that is just boring shit. bloodsport is fucking entertaining even without the fight scenes. and the fight scenes are all over the top video game awesome. and they did that on purpose when ogre and van damme are playing a karate arcade game it was the movie's way of telling you, the shit you are about to see is not in touch with reality.