Travelling in California

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I just have an affinity for the whole Bay Area and Northern California as a whole. Half Moon Bay, Foster City, San Mateo, Oakland, Palo Alto are all places I've spent considerable time. Plus, you're not far from Tahoe and towns like Santa Cruz.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
EDIT: But don't consider Stockton or Fresno! Or pretty much any of those "central valley" cities south of Stockton. They are soul-crushingly boring.
Not all of them. If your'e in Modesto you can stay entertained by watching for people who want to shoot you or steal your car. Nothing boring about that!

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
We're all booked up and most of our plans are in place for California this summer. We're spending our first 4 days in San Fran, 2 days at Yosemite, 3 days in the Monterey area then down to LA to see a friend for 3 days then we'll be making our way back up to SF for our last few nights before flying home. Any advice on places we have to check out between Monterey and LA? We have 1-2 nights spare on the way back up that we'd like to check out somewhere we haven't seen yet. We've booked hotels and they say I should expect to pay local tax when I check in - any heads up on how much that is? We don't have any hidden stuff like that in the UK so I'm a bit skeptical when I'm working out a budget for the trip.

We're staying at some low budget places to save $$ on the trip - we're staying at the downtown hostel in San Fran (private room with private bathroom) on a friends recommendation and the Bug Hostel in Yosemite because my fiance thought it looked like a quirky place staying in a 'private permanent tent'. Hopefully no one has heard of murders at either of them!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hotel tax is a little over 16%.

As for between Monterey and LA, I would certainly check out Big Sur.

EE9764434C2E06411FBECA7C33189403.jpg

rrr_img_67315.jpg

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm glad you bumped this.

I'm planning on doing a long weekend trip up the PCH. Thinking of starting in Malibu and ending at Carmel. We're going to bring the dog since we're tired of leaving her, and more than likely that means we'll end up camping. Was wondering if anyone else had done something like this and had any advice.

This is a rough "itinerary" on what I've got planned:
  • Douglas Family Preserve Beach - They allow dogs, so we'll take her to play in the water
  • End day 1 at El Chorro Park in SLO for camping
  • Head up to Carmel and do Big Sur and whatever other sightseeing on the way.
  • Camp somewhere in Carmel
  • Drive Pebble Beach and whatever else we can figure out, then head home

So does anyone have any sights along the way we need to hit up? Basically needs to be dog friendly, so we'll be passing up Hearst. We'll probably end up making a separate trip to there next year. I have no idea about meals or anything else, or stops along the way that are worthwhile. I had thought about hotels for this trip, but the one dog hotel that everyone raves about in Carmel is like $300 a fucking night or something ridiculous.

For my other trips this year, I'm hoping to convince the wife to do the day hike on Mt Whitney up to Lone Pine Lake this weekend. And then sometime the first or second week of October we'll drive up 395 from Bishop to Mono Lake for the fall leaves. It's supposed to be the 2nd best foliage in the US (and last year was apparently the best year in a while, but I didn't get up there).

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You know Carmel is mostly private property for Hollywoodians who dont wanna live in Beverly Hills or who want to have a villa in a smaller town with great landscape and driving ranges. So 300 bucks is what youd expect there. Id check the other places close by for cheaper rates and spots to camp, like Monterey / Salinas isnt that far off and on top of that actually affordable.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can hit up Solvang and many wineries between Monterey and LA, and tons of awesome ocean views as Alex said.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sort of related, but I convinced the wife to do the hike to Lone Pine Lake today. It's the first 2.5 miles or so on the way to Mount Whitney (before you need a permit). I didn't anticipate it'd be too bad, but holy shit it was rough. It's all uphill (obviously), but the altitude really did a number on me. I think it took us about 2 hours to get there. Plus another 2.5 miles back, but that's not too bad as it's all downhill. Fucking gorgeous hike though.

We're considering doing the whole thing next year now.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Been back from CA for a few days now and thought I'd write a quick review for anyone doing the same trip. Thanks for the advice anyone who gave it it definitely made things easier.

We spent 4 days in San Fran and stayed at the Hostel International Downtown on Mason Street in a private room with ensuite bathroom. It was fantastic and felt more like a budget hotel than a hostel - it came in at $400 for 3 nights which is pretty cheap for central San Fran. It was literally next door to everything we wanted to do - bike rentals, the BART and muni for transport etc. We biked the bridge which was great, saw the giants play, went to alcatraz and did some trampoline dodgeball at house of air.

We moved on to Yosemite next - we picked up our car and drove the 3-4 hours across state and stayed in a place called the Bug Hostel which was pretty bad. It was my fiance's pick as she liked the idea of these 'permanent tents'. It was the hottest thing I've ever slept in - it was 3am, I was naked, lying still and dripping with sweat! The food there was amazing though so not all bad. Yosemite itself was amazing - I really enjoyed walking up to the waterfalls and climbing all the rocks / swimming in the lake where the waterfall ends. We also did a guided bus tour around Yosemite for about $25 which was well worth it as the park ranger really got through a lot and as we were only there a day it was great. I've never been awestruck by beauty before so I was really impressed.

We moved on to Monterey and Carmel staying in a place called the Carmel Hill Lodge / Knights Inn which was good value for money. Nice, clean room with a huge TV and full cable! We chilled out here and saw a couple of films, did some shopping and took a few trips to Monterey and Carmel. I wasn't too excited by Monterey but I found Carmel very unique - the fairytale style cottages are amazing and I loved the atmosphere. It's a great place to just wander around and I loved how dog friendly it was with plenty of shops having their own dog that I could pet while my fiance shopped.

We moved down to LA for 3 days to visit a friend who showed us the sights. We stayed at the Azul Inn which looked like a prison from the outside but was really nice in our room. Our friend took us to Manhattan beach, the Santa Monica pier and a few other places and we ate at some great places. I loved Umami burger and a place called Public School (I think). I wasn't too enthused by LA as a city but the pockets that our friend took us to were great. I also enjoyed discovering a new fruit - the pluot!

Our last stop before San Fran to fly home was Santa Barbara and my fiance loved it there. We stayed at a place called Home Away from Home which turned out to be a BnB in a ladies house which was very comfortable and a good place to stop. We had some good food here and checked out a cool farmers market. We did some shopping at an outlet centre about 30mins away which was good.

In San Fran before we flew home we stayed at a place called the Cable Car Court Hotel which was cheap (we were trying to save as much money to buy clothes with) which wasn't great and I'd definitely not recommend it.

I was really impressed by SF, Yosemite, Carmel and the general feel of California. People were very friendly everywhere we went. Drivers were a bit aggressive in LA but I guess that's normal in most cities around the world. Driving was a bit confusing but fine when you get your head around the fact that a red light doesn't apply to you if you're turning right and that 4 way stops are first come first serve. I'd recommend people get the optional car insurance of like $8 a day as we were very worried we were going to get charged as some idiot at Yosemite opened his car door into our car and made a small dent / paint scratch but luckily they didn't see it when we dropped it off. I was also a bit surprised by the amount of homeless people in San Fran and LA - it was a lot higher than London and I found it quite uncomfortable being practically harassed for money every time we crossed a road etc but we learnt to ignore them and carry on. One thing about SF I was really impressed by was the public transport - the BART and Muni were very cheap and we used them a lot to get around the city for just $2! I loved the food which I knew I would and I easily put on 8-10lbs in just over 2 weeks! Cheesecake factory, Umami burger, In'N'Out (jesus christ I loved this place, the whole 50s theme and simple menu were great), The Strand in LA, the way the USA does eggs...I could go on forever!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for paying it off. Sounds like a fun trip. San Fran is way too accommodating to homeless people IMO so as a result there are a ton of them. I was eating lunch at Fisherman's Wharf once with some family members and an old Asian lady walked up and ordered us to finish our cokes so she could have our cans :p.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for paying it off. Sounds like a fun trip. San Fran is way too accommodating to homeless people IMO so as a result there are a ton of them. I was eating lunch at Fisherman's Wharf once with some family members and an old Asian lady walked up and ordered us to finish our cokes so she could have our cans :p.
LA treats our homeless like shit and there are still tons of them. It's just that amurika doesn't take care of their mentally ill any more like they used to. Shit hit the fan in the 80s. The weather allows homeless people to live here without shelter pretty much year round. Can't really do that in Belgium.

The Bart is nice but gets expensive if you commute across the bay which is what it was really built for. Kinda pointless to take the bart around SF itself since you can always walk to your destination pretty quickly. SF isn't that big of a city. In a real city it would be considered a neighborhood. The muni is slow as shit and breaks down a lot. Better off walking. It really is faster walking!

You shoulda gone up to the redwoods north of SF for some real amazing nature. Beats Yosemite imo. It's where they filmed the forest scenes in ROTJ.

Lol at the mental picture of a pale belgian sweating his ass off in a tent in Yosemite just to keep it real.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Bart is nice but gets expensive if you commute across the bay which is what it was really built for. Kinda pointless to take the bart around SF itself since you can always walk to your destination pretty quickly. SF isn't that big of a city. In a real city it would be considered a neighborhood. The muni is slow as shit and breaks down a lot. Better off walking. It really is faster walking!
Almost all of this is wrong.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, whoever tells you "oh you can easily do everything on foot in SF" is talking bullshit. It's just too big and too hilly for that.
BART service was excellent, and even with MUNI on strike for a day (sometime in the first week of June) there was enough service to wait until there was a train not fully packed.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Once you have spent some time driving in SF, walking doesn't seem so bad. That city is a fucking nightmare of one way streets going all directions, hills, traffic signals that don't hang over the street, pedestrians, bicyclists, rollerbladers all over the street, and absolutely nowhere to park.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I haven't been there, but I'm happy some cities are turning away from being based on cars. It takes a lot of space and money to accommodate a large fleet of private automobiles. That space and money can be better spent. There are some studies coming out linking economic potential and open parking lots, and it's not positive.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Once you have spent some time driving in SF, walking doesn't seem so bad. That city is a fucking nightmare of one way streets going all directions, hills, traffic signals that don't hang over the street, pedestrians, bicyclists, rollerbladers all over the street, and absolutely nowhere to park.
100% truth. I pretty much refuse to drive in the city. Of course, my wife ended up getting a great deal on her car a few years ago because she bought it from some guy in the city who'd moved there recently and was tired of paying obscene garage fees every month for a car he rarely used.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, SF is very unfriendly to cars. Mostly for the parking. It's quick to get to your destination, but unless you're willing to pay a lot for a parking garage (which aren't even available in many neighborhoods), you're going to add another 30 min to your travel time looking for parking. I haven't owned a car in nearly three years and I rarely miss it. I've also just gotten used to public transit - good and bad. And some people just can't handle the bad no matter how awesome the good is.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I haven't been there, but I'm happy some cities are turning away from being based on cars. It takes a lot of space and money to accommodate a large fleet of private automobiles. That space and money can be better spent. There are some studies coming out linking economic potential and open parking lots, and it's not positive.
In SF it's only out of necessity (lack of land). I agree that it'd be nice if more US cities would move towards a better public transit model and away from car dependency, but I just don't see it happening.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Napa had a nice 6.1 earthquake today around 3am - not a good place to visit in the next week or two. The pics I've been seeing so far are pretty wow - streets cracking, sidewalks buckling, water lines busted every damn where, some gas lines broken, etc etc. I'm 25 miles away and both the wife and I woke up when it happened - the house was shaking damn good. Son slept through it though. Gonna be a shitty day for some people.