True Detective

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something else from the closing scene in ep 5; Ledoux was mumbling about a black star to Rust before he was killed. When the camera was pulling out through the broken window in the school, there is a black star in the left corner of the broken glass.
Maybe it's also foreshadowing : Rust in the window's frame, maybe he will get framed ?

Simas_sl

shitlord
If there is one thing I have to ding the show for, it's that the parents didn't appear to exhibit more concern when she was staging barbie dolls in explicit ways and drawing naked pictures in class. I'm not saying they should have jumped to any conclusions, but it merited closer supervision at the very least.
Last episode, present-day-Hart was talking about how he eventually came to realize his real problem was he was inattentive.

With all the talk of circular/flat time I wouldn't be surprised if Rust's story is almost an exact mirror of his past, where he gets in too deep, messes up, pays for it by going under cover, then eventually goes crazy.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
If they do plan to do ANY sort of "split personality" plot line I hope it's just completely ambiguous who it is in the end and it's only hinted/suggested at.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Great article that includes comments from the writer/creator:meta stuff.

"This is a world where nothing is solved," he intones. "Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again. It's like, in this universe, we process time linearly," he says. "Forward. But outside of our space-time, from what would be a fourth-dimensional perspective, time wouldn't exist. And from that vantage, could we attain it, we'd see"?he crushes a can of Lone Star between his palms?"our space-time look flattened, like a seamless sculpture. Matter in a super-position?every place it ever occupied. Our sentience just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See, everything outside our dimension?that's eternity. Eternity looking down on us. Now, to us, it's a sphere. But to them, it's a circle."

"You could see Cohle as Job crying out to an unhearing God," he explained. "Or you could see him as something else."

"Now, think about all the things Cohle is talking about," he said as he finished chewing. "Is he a man railing against an uncaring god? Or is he a character in a TV show railing against his audience? Aren't we the creatures of that higher dimension? The creatures who can see the totality of his world? After all, we get to see all eight episodes of his life. On a flat screen. And we can watch him live that same life over and over again, the exact same way."

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Watched it again sober,
I'm going to have to start doing this. It's sort of a tradition for me going back to Deadwood that when I'm watching a great drama on Sunday night the experience is enhanced by having some wine or bourbon while I watch it. This works for Mad Men, Game of Thrones, even Homeland, but this show is too complicated and you really need to be awake and clear headed and not surfing the internet to keep up with it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Great article that includes comments from the writer/creator:meta stuff.

"This is a world where nothing is solved," he intones. "Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again. It's like, in this universe, we process time linearly," he says. "Forward. But outside of our space-time, from what would be a fourth-dimensional perspective, time wouldn't exist. And from that vantage, could we attain it, we'd see"-he crushes a can of Lone Star between his palms-"our space-time look flattened, like a seamless sculpture. Matter in a super-position-every place it ever occupied. Our sentience just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See, everything outside our dimension-that's eternity. Eternity looking down on us. Now, to us, it's a sphere. But to them, it's a circle."

"You could see Cohle as Job crying out to an unhearing God," he explained. "Or you could see him as something else."

"Now, think about all the things Cohle is talking about," he said as he finished chewing. "Is he a man railing against an uncaring god? Or is he a character in a TV show railing against his audience? Aren't we the creatures of that higher dimension? The creatures who can see the totality of his world? After all, we get to see all eight episodes of his life. On a flat screen. And we can watch him live that same life over and over again, the exact same way."
That along with the Wall Street Journal interview where Pizzolatto explains how his admiration for Thomas Ligotti's philosophy had a lot of Ligotti's fans all antsy about why the showrunner didn't mention Ligotti's philosophical fingerprints all over the script even sooner. A couple weeks ago enough weird fiction fanboys started grumbling about plagiarism that Pizzolatto gaveanother interviewwherein he tried to explain the omission without spoiling the rest of the season too much---which was really hard and also tells you exactly how much Ligotti's weird fiction-tinged antinatalism informs the show.

Anyways, seems the next episode is gonna shit on my pet theory about Hart's father-in-law molesting Audrey into a future backroomcastingcouch applicant:

I'm still leaning towards the father-in-law or the preacher but it looks like we're back to looking for the man with scars.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm sure it's just coincidence but that doll standing at the top left ... sorta looks like cleaned up Rust.

Something else from the closing scene in ep 5; Ledoux was mumbling about a black star to Rust before he was killed. When the camera was pulling out through the broken window in the school, there is a black star in the left corner of the broken glass.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa

^ from The King in Yellow. Ledoux was saying "the black star's rising... I know you... I dreamt about this" etc.

Here is the whole poem/excerpt that I think someone already posted:

Wikipedia yo_sl said:
Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.
The Hyades refers to Greek legend, the Hyades were the daughters of Atlas and are associated with rain. The rain at the changing of the seasons was associated with their grief over their brother Hyas who was killed (i think).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How do they make every single scene so intense? This show is A++
Seriously. That whole episode my heart was pounding, especially the shit at the meth lab. At the end of the episode I just felt creeped out.

5 crowned Kings, 4 standing 1 down. Tuttle died in 2010.

7o1Cqy8.jpg
For some reason I saw what he was doing there as I was watching, but he ended up picking up the 5th can-man and making him stand.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm sure it's just coincidence but that doll standing at the top left ... sorta looks like cleaned up Rust.

And the blonde doll on the right looks like Hart

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
Just got thru binging on House of Cards, and as fun as it was, afterwards I watch the recent episode of True Detective and it just destroys it. This show is seriously TOO good. It makes other perfectly decent TV series just look like amateur hour.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Look at the yellow drawing in the scrapbook. Now look at his tie knot.
Even if Tuttle was involved in the earlier murders we already know he died in 2010 and couldnt have been involved the latest murders, which bear the same undisclosed hallmarks as the murders from 1995. In fact the 2012 investigators mention the correlation between Cohle's return to Louisiana and Tuttle's death by mixed medications back in 2010.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I hope they don't go supernatural with the ending. I hope it's more of a conspiracy ending, with people in some kind of cult that goes all the way up to the Governors office.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I hope the split personality isn't a thing and I don't think it will be. I think any twists will come from narrative differences in what actually happen versus what they told the interrogators. One interesting thing someone pointed out on another forum I was reading is that maybe the doll scene in one of the early episodes wasn't done by Hart's daughters but rather it was his on vision of it. When he walks into the room the little girls are discussing a car wreck or something along those lines and iirc, one of the girls is still holding the doll. I tend to think Hart was 'seeing it' as it was but it wasn't that way at all. Besides, why would a little girl have so many guy dolls? (I think it's important to also note that you could argue some of the dolls look like Hart and Cohle)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The last shot shows black stars rising in dim Carcosa.
If you watch the whole pull out shot, there are actually 4 black stars on the windows, in the same configuration at those drawn in margin of the right hand page from Lang's journal.