True Detective

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All tryhard symbolism / LOST debate aside, this show is pretty good. Both McConanughey and Harrelson actors are stellar, writing is nice and direction is definitely top notch (dat episode 4). In my opinon it's all about ambiance : that thick deep US crime scenery dealing with native stuff is kind of pristine. Cohle is basically "The Man Without A Name", always coming estranged everywhere, fucking stuff up mostly because of his undercover work leaving profund scars in him. He can't really love anything anymore, he's balls deep into self esteem obsessive goals aka "catch the bad guys", while Hart is more about your actual inner flawed bored policeman, looking for brief escapes, entrenched into an everyday father's job. Most clever people there know how TD will end. It's not twisty. It's not shocking. It's just the last stop in a journey into deep mankind Hell. Not your mafia boogaloo, not your on the books catch-a-rapist. It's just plain evil. The kind you can't really explain. The kind you don't want to explain. As Cohle implied, we're our own parasites, rotting our own lives with expectations that can't really be achieved, with goals that are fallacious at best.

To me True Detective is a powerful tv show because while you'd care a lot about main characters, they're being pulled in a fucked up world where nothing is either black or white. Cohle, while being a "bad guy catching the baddest guys" by his definition, has a shady definition of good guy while Hart, being a stereotypical good guy / family man, has a shady definition of bad guy (aka you can let your feelings drive you as long as you regret it afterwards). The show depicts Colhe as the "weird out of touch clever police guy" but I don't think he's genuine there. He's good because as an undercover cop he'd have crossed the line so much he's nowadays all about catching "bad" guys, aka to him the worst of the worst, in his own definition. He's on his rightful crusade, while Hart is more about anything else.

True Detective's showrunner and sole writer Pizzolato will have a hard time dealing with s1 hype. McC just got an Oscar award (while he's awesome in Dalla Buyers Club, most people think it was heavily influenced by his TD role) so he's gonna have to deal with a lot of pressure. That episode 4 tracking shot will have to be topped too. HBO did a lot of shit stuff for the last few years, but they landed TD so much they'll have to align themselves with Netflix's production values. HBO / AMC are having hard times pulling their own $30m in-house tv shows nowadays where Netflix can cash on a $100m season production wise. True Detective is imo a milestone of what you can achieve without Hollywood blank check. I just hope the general process will allow hillbillies to have their The Walking Dead / Agents of Shield tv shows while we can enjoy quality stuff out there. TV show wise I've yet to see anything being superior to The Wire / The Sopranos shared #1 spot, but with True Detective we definitely have something going on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I think the first few episodes of next season are going to be pretty rough times. Everyone is going to be comparing the new detectives to Rust and Marty, so they'll need to distinguish themselves quickly.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
woody may be back for season 2, or at least its not official yet that he wont be. mconaghey is definitely not coming back.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
any hints of a location for season 2 yet? I am originally from Chicago so I would love to see a well done detective drama based out of that city. A lot of history there to work with. Tired of seeing the Chicago PD Blue bullshit type shows. Give me a show with the style of The Wire in the windy city baby!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Honestly, at this point, if Woody or Matthew sign back on for season 2, this show sucks. The entire premise from the get-go was a one and done storyline for each season. I don't watch American Horror Story. Is that like a different story each season but the same actors? That sounds stupid.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Honestly, at this point, if Woody or Matthew sign back on for season 2, this show sucks. The entire premise from the get-go was a one and done storyline for each season. I don't watch American Horror Story. Is that like a different story each season but the same actors? That sounds stupid.
Same actors playing different characters with of course some change over. I'm not exactly thrilled about it at all now that I'm thinking about it more. The reminds me somewhat of The Killing at the end of season 1. Where they just decided to pull shit out of their ass and go back on what they said it would originally be.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, with how successful this show is, I can see HBO throwing a shitload of money at them for another season. That said, Mcconaughey winning the Oscar makes it even more unlikely he'll be back. Marty without Rust would be bleh.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
So you hate an idea that you admit you never watched? So you are a whiny faggot? Is that what I just read?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Because that has been the main draw of AMS and has made Jessica Lange a star again. But you think its stupids so ok

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure they call those anthologies, but normally it's for series like the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits and such. Shows that have a new cast each episode. I suppose True Detective and American Horror Story fall into that description. They do serial episodes but not serial seasons.

I kinda miss shows like that. Almost everything these days is a serial, and before every episode they have to spend 30 seconds telling you what happened on the last episode, and also callbacks to anything from earlier episodes/seasons that might pertain to the episode you're watching. That shit drives me nuts, particularly doing a marathon of a series and every fucking 44 minutes they're telling me what I just fucking watched.

I like standalone episodes. I do like serial episodes, buteverythingis serial now. More anthologies would be a nice change of pace.

stonewall_sl

shitlord
I probably should not be telling everyone this but my cousin is working on season two and i have insider info.
Season two will be set in Boston and will star Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, from what I gather the season is about two homosexuals who hate Jesus and Robin Williams.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I probably should not be telling everyone this but my cousin is working on season two and i have insider info.
Season two will be set in Boston and will star Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, from what I gather the season is about two homosexuals who hate Jesus and Robin Williams.
Who is playing Jesus Williams?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Because that has been the main draw of AMS and has made Jessica Lange a star again. But you think its stupids so ok
Relax, faggot. I didn't mean to get you upset about Jessica Lange's career.