Twitch.tv

Xevy

Log Wizard
I have somewhere between 15-30 subs and it pays you out whenever you hit the $100 mark at the end of the month following it. So sometimes you'll get like $106, sometimes it'll be like $225. Depends on the cycle.

Sit on camera and play video games for 8 hours a day for two weeks. Then decide if you WANT to try and be a streamer. Odds are most wouldn't be able to take it. Everything you do, every nose pick, cough, scab picked, all on video. Wanna eat food? Well that's going to interrupt gameplay unless you fucking house something and hustle back. There's a bunch of downsides to streaming, especially unsuccessfully, that people don't realize. Where else do you do your job while essentially your supervisors AND customers are staring at you the entire time? No where I can think of except camwhores.

Want to play a new game? You can! But you're learning so you're not good. Also it's a NEW GAME so every big streamer has 95% of the total combined viewership. Your viewerbase came from X game, so you can't stream Y game or you'll lose everyone who regularly watches you. It's like Everquest BobbyBick can tell you he could be the top EQ streamer and get partnered, but the second he diverts from EQ the numbers die off IMMENSELY. And who wants to stream EQ for the rest of their life every day for hours? Not fucking me.

Variety streaming is the dream, but you've got to have the fan base first and it's so hard to build that without hardlocking some game right now it's nigh impossible.

The only way to break out is to be the best at a new popular game and basically get piggybacked by a streamer that has "heard of you" and wants to play with you.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure a lot of the lower tier streamers are on some form of welfare and use twitch either as a socializing platform or to supplement their welfare income, not as a pure form of income. As I've said before, the people I watch the most are people who have viewers in the tens or low hundreds, not enough to make a pure living off, but most of them have stated plainly that they are on some form of welfare. The others have a day job and just stream whatever they fancy playing in the evenings after work.

Not sure how it is in the US, if the IRS breaks in your front door demanding dollah cash, and you lose welfare if you get a check from Twitch cos you're now "employed". But in my little corner of Euro Land, no-one's going to give a shit if you earn a few hundred bucks a month extra playing vidja. Probably once you're hitting close to a thousand it might start ringing some bells, but in most countries around me you would probably only have to pay something like capital gains tax on it, and while some places might deduct some of your welfare, it's never dollar for dollar so it's still a net gain. Most that I watch just use their Twitch bucks to fuel their gaming habbit while welfare pays the daily bills.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The way it works in Canada (my province at least) is that you're allowed to keep up to a certain amount and then a percentage above that until you hit a point where you're no longer eligible. Not reporting the income is fraud and will result in getting fucked if you're found out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm pretty sure a lot of the lower tier streamers are on some form of welfare and use twitch either as a socializing platform or to supplement their welfare income, not as a pure form of income. As I've said before, the people I watch the most are people who have viewers in the tens or low hundreds, not enough to make a pure living off, but most of them have stated plainly that they are on some form of welfare. The others have a day job and just stream whatever they fancy playing in the evenings after work.

Not sure how it is in the US, if the IRS breaks in your front door demanding dollah cash, and you lose welfare if you get a check from Twitch cos you're now "employed". But in my little corner of Euro Land, no-one's going to give a shit if you earn a few hundred bucks a month extra playing vidja. Probably once you're hitting close to a thousand it might start ringing some bells, but in most countries around me you would probably only have to pay something like capital gains tax on it, and while some places might deduct some of your welfare, it's never dollar for dollar so it's still a net gain. Most that I watch just use their Twitch bucks to fuel their gaming habbit while welfare pays the daily bills.
I am certain that if you make a certain amount from twitch you'll receive a 1099 or whatever tax form.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dang, Doc doing a 2nd day of Overwatch. I didn't think he would stick with it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eloise is streaming from Coronaland.

Edit: She went to an indoor stream so I'll leave this instead.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well in my little corner of Euro-land that limit is exactly €100 and since you have to show your bank statements frequently to be still eligible for welfare getting a few hundred euros a month from streaming is not gonny stay under the radar.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well in my little corner of Euro-land that limit is exactly €100 and since you have to show your bank statements frequently to be still eligible for welfare getting a few hundred euros a month from streaming is not gonny stay under the radar.

Shit even gambling here is like a $5,000 cut off.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
He did a wrestlemania last match/retirement a few years ago I think.. Awful match(I blame Roman more than him), but you could really see how slow he was. You could tell he was glad to get out of there. But now that I'm reading on him I guess he's "un-retired" a few times since? I'm surprised too. I have always respected his career and the latest generation has just not been interesting to watch. But jesus, he needs to just enjoy retirement already.

Last edited: