Twitch.tv

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
I remember ZP from our bloodbowl league when he was running a skaven team. I had no idea he was some big overwatch personality.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I remember ZP from our bloodbowl league when he was running a skaven team. I had no idea he was some big overwatch personality.
He was a fairly big streamer in HotS(relatively for that game that is) before he moved on to Overwatch when that released and became on of the go to caster there so yeah.

On donations and stuff, have to remember that it's very similar to the film industry. A few people make A LOT of money, but 99% of the streamers make shit/no money at all. It's definitely very lucrative for the few famous people though, and while there's no safety net if they start losing popularity or what not, a lot of them have strong enough viewerbase that it's gonna take some monumental fuckup constantly to ruin the shit(like that guy Kongor or whatever who had 2-3k viewers constantly until he started being caught lying about shit, saying his viewers were retarded and other stupid shit and being a shit human really).

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I remember that guy. He tried to come back under the alias "Ghost" but everyone figured out that was him. He pretty much fucked himself due to his shitty attitude. Alot of people follow the streamer while others only follow the game. I remember D3's peak there were alot of big streamers who no longer streams like DatModz, Good Idea Gaming (GIG) and Moldran just to name a few.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
On donations and stuff, have to remember that it's very similar to the film industry. A few people make A LOT of money, but 99% of the streamers make shit/no money at all. It's definitely very lucrative for the few famous people

Depends on your definition of lucrative. There are probably a thousand or so streamers making between 25-50k that would be making less doing whatever other jobs they could reasonably do without streaming. Hell, Richard (Dick) Hammer talks about making around 40k doing a job he hated and now streams for an average of 1000 people from 11 PM to 6 AM making at or above that amount. I'm sure he'd love to have 20k viewers but he loves where he is at now.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What funny is one of the stramers who only does one game I watch always says "Soandso company doesn't compensate me". I'm sure they don't cut a check, but he gets to test every new item added to the game and make videos of them before they come out. He gets talks with devs of stuff in development, hell they trated him to a week on campus in another country, give him lots of in game codes for him to give away on the stream, but he's not compensated. If all that went away how many would watch his videos and streams considering he's pretty much the only person making a living streaming that game.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
$2500 before at least 30% of your taxes get taken out, without having medical/heatlh/dental insurance, without any company matching 401k ...
And this is why I'll never play games for a living. It sounds awesome in theory, but the numbers are crap. You're essentially self-employed, so now you're paying for all of those overhead costs your employer normally would.

I'd probably have to pull in about $140-150k a year to just match my current job. So if we're being generous and I take pay cut because I'm doing a fuck off job, I'd still guess $100k+. I'll just stick it out.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
And this is why I'll never play games for a living. It sounds awesome in theory, but the numbers are crap. You're essentially self-employed, so now you're paying for all of those overhead costs your employer normally would.

I'd probably have to pull in about $140-150k a year to just match my current job. So if we're being generous and I take pay cut because I'm doing a fuck off job, I'd still guess $100k+. I'll just stick it out.
This is very true. I've been out of work due to a broken wrist for over 2 months now and I still have another month or so of physical therapy left. Thankfully my job has paid me 100% of my salary for the time I'm off and my insurance took care of all my hospital bills.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
What funny is one of the stramers who only does one game I watch always says "Soandso company doesn't compensate me". I'm sure they don't cut a check, but he gets to test every new item added to the game and make videos of them before they come out. He gets talks with devs of stuff in development, hell they trated him to a week on campus in another country, give him lots of in game codes for him to give away on the stream, but he's not compensated. If all that went away how many would watch his videos and streams considering he's pretty much the only person making a living streaming that game.

It's generally much easier for accounting to write off all those expenses than to hand out cash, like in every other industry.

Also, IIRC there were some donation spoofs going with streamers faking huge donations so that others will keep going and refunding/cancelling it afterwards. If you are donating through paypal, you can still do that, right ? So that number might be a bit inflated.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Thats good because I pay my rent in Hearthstone cards

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Best thing Twitch has done in a long time is add chat to Clips.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider
So she's just some chick who wanders around with a phone strapped to her and gets upset when people come up and talk to her? What the fuck is the point of watching a stream like this?

I don't know the complete story but from what I gathered, her stream donated enough so she could visit NY and that dude is/was some stream sniper. I think she is Korean and lives/streams from there. Seems she gets a lot of hate for being a typical Korean fake girl? Seems cute to me and looks like she is enjoying life.

spronk

FPS noob
i was disappointed he wasn't a fat neckbeard with a fedora and/or sword strapped to his back

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
ZP is from here? The overwatch caster? He's great :D

Yeah he was a very active member on Rerolled and played in several FoH guilds, including the Final Fantasy 14 guild which is where I knew him best. Great White Mage.

I just logged on battle.net for the first time in like a year and I only have his secondary account still listed, which he hasn't logged on for ages. I was gonna tell him about this thread.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah he was a very active member on Rerolled and played in several FoH guilds, including the Final Fantasy 14 guild which is where I knew him best. Great White Mage.

I just logged on battle.net for the first time in like a year and I only have his secondary account still listed, which he hasn't logged on for ages. I was gonna tell him about this thread.

You should go to his stream to let him know. Maybe get some of his subs to check it out.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You should go to his stream to let him know. Maybe get some of his subs to check it out.

He only uses his stream to host other people now, he never streams himself. He's too busy with Overwatch.

I'm still a mod in his channel and I just checked, he's not in it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Stream sniping in some cases is a crutch. I'm sure in some games there's a lot of stream sniping. But there's a guy who streams eve and complains of eve snipers every time he does. He's absolute terrible at the game and I watch sometimes to see how stuipd a streamer can be. Stream Sniped!! I went afk in capital ship in another alliances part of space not cloaked or in a safe spot it had to have been stream sniped.

I guess you can embed streams from twitch now. There's a website that is used a lot in one game and the guy embeds his streams...but there's never anyone actually watching the streams, he's just driving up numbers. One of the other streamers brought this up and he never uses it on stream.