Untitled Alien Series

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Don't get too excited. They're going to give her a very short haircut and mostly unflattering outfits, as is series tradition.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't get too excited. They're going to give her a very short haircut and mostly unflattering outfits, as is series tradition.

Then again they might have her strip down to a tight top and skimpy underwear that shows a little bush when she gets into a hibernation chamber.

Jk. We all know those days are over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least you know Tim O will make this bareable and will be the best part of it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
good chat with Hawley. I think his head is in the right place for this show and the direction he wants to take it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
good chat with Hawley. I think his head is in the right place for this show and the direction he wants to take it.

This interview, especially the last minute where he talks about his vision of the actual universe, combined with the fact that his shows have never been below the average makes me at least want to give this a watch. That is about the highest compliment I can give a show these days.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Noah Hawley has his occasions of brilliance, but he cannot hold a complicated tale together. I thought Legion was on it's way to becoming a once in a generation bit of genius writing. But he writes like a juggler trying to keep to many balls in the air and it all falls apart.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Possible hopeful after reading this... assuming it is true.

Screenshot_20240128_191643_Brave.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Possible hopeful after reading this... assuming it is true.

View attachment 511723
How many of the crew do you think will be gay or trans? I'm guessing at least two maybe 3. Could be the android is androgynous.

I'll admit, I'd enjoy a faithful series in the universe, but as others have said, I just don't think Hollywood has the capacity to capture what made the original movies so great. The roadmap was there with the comics, but everybody's got to have their own original interpretation so they can create their special story to tell.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Prometheus could have been such a great movie maybe one of my favorites if done proper. The premise was there and it was just failure after failure.

There was a video that breaks down how bad the script/writing was for that movie and it was about as long as the movie. Wasn't there an alternate script that made more sense?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Prometheus could have been such a great movie maybe one of my favorites if done proper. The premise was there and it was just failure after failure.

There was a video that breaks down how bad the script/writing was for that movie and it was about as long as the movie. Wasn't there an alternate script that made more sense?

Yeah, Prometheus had an alternate script that was better.

Terminator Salvation also had a (mostly) better alternate script that actually had laser guns (wielded by primitive T-400s) and proto HK tanks. Except it got super-weird in the final act with an HK pursuing JC through some sort of posh resort where a bunch of hybrid people lived, then driving into a pool. Welp.

Don't remember much about the Prometheus alternate script. I THINK that instead of the Deacon at the end, there was a full-on Xenomorph earlier in the third act and it chased Shaw through the ship rather than the Engineer.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I don't know if it necessarily made more sense but it was supposed to be more almost religious in tone, and somehow lumped Jesus who was an engineer into the whole deal and the reason the engineers were going to Nuke Earth was because space Jesus was killed. If the stuff about the original script is true it was pretty far out there. I want to say that channel on YouTube alien theory talked about it in one of his videos. It's a pretty good channel if you're into the aliens stuff.

It was an interesting concept but yeah I can see why it might not work for a wide release film. It's a great looking film and despite Ridley Scott being a retard in his old age he still knows how to put forth something that just looks utterly fantastic, but who cares if the story just sucks. Figured I have multi-million dollar production values, top of the line special effects, what should be a stellar cast, and still churn out a pile of shit if the characters blow, and the story is filled with more plot holes than a slice of Swiss.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Still amazes me how well her character was directed and made to look the part. Five years later she was not the badass looking character and it was difficult to recognize her.

yes, that's how acting works

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Prometheus could never have been a good film... No way.

Alien is among "the greats" in horror/science fiction cinema. A substantial part of that was involving H.R. Giger in the Alien design and "biomechanics." Giger was a (albeit heroin-addicted) genius.

Aliens, however, is also among the strangest of movie sequels because the film was a genre flip from horror (that happened to also be science fiction) to an action/adventure film (that also happened to be science fiction). The "egg-laying" mother alien, was never part of the H.R. Giger Alien design, but it certainly worked within the confines of the movie. Giger had arranged an entire life-cycle to the Alien. Yes, you can look it up or even find it in his published etchings/artwork. There was a cut scene from the movie (that you can probably find it online somewhere) that showed Dallas being consumed and turned into an "egg." It was felt that it was one more terrible horror in a film that already had just the right amount of scares and gore.

Ret-conning the Alien biology and attempting to force-fit it into a larger framework was one of the MANY flaws that doomed Prometheus. Aliens showed you didn't have to stay true to an internal mythology to make a great film. Even if that internal mythology was extensive. Why Prometheus tried to re-do that still makes zero sense. There was no need...

The other issue that is completely unforgivable in Prometheus is the complete lack of science throughout the film. Let's not be safe or even remotely scientific in (just about) every decision we make in the movie (from checking the atmosphere before attempting to breathe it, etc). You don't have to be a scientist to make a good science fiction movie. Plus, you can use unexplainable non-scientific things (Star Trek does ALL THE TIME) like transporters and warp speed and Time Travel and genesis devices (and have a jolly good time at the movies). You CANNOT, however, be consistently, unfathomably stupid and still have a good science-fiction movie. Unless, of course, that is your goal. Then go for it-- No one minds when you do stupid well (eg,. "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure," "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle," etc).

Prometheus was an abhorrence in film-making, story-telling, myth/world-building, etc. It failed on every conceivable level.

You don't need to go back to "Alien" DNA to make a good new Alien story. You just cannot be as moronic as Prometheus. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that AI could generate a half-decent Alien story with just a few prompts. It takes real human beings to fail at the level that Promethues does.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think both Alien and Aliens are a strong counter to the "you don't like strong female characters in modern movies because you're racist, sexist, white man" line.

Nobody complained about Ripley being the only survivor in Alien, nor did they complain about her being a female action hero in Aliens. Likewise, nobody complains about Vazquez or the female pilot or the female medic. Presumably because it makes sense in the context of a movie set in 2179 that advances in technology allow women to serve on the front line, but more importantly the movies don't beat the audience over the head with the "strong female" stuff - they are just there and nobody bats an eyelid, apart from the in-squad banter with Hudson.

You could say the same about Sarah Connor too

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users