Upload

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I had to pause halfway through the last episode to make sure I didn't skip episodes somehow...there was enough of a disconnect between the last 2 episodes that I wasn't sure. Then...it ended and I figured they were doing a staggered release, but that's the entire season? Really?
It wasn't horrible, but it was very unsatisfying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Fully watched the first half of Season 1 and fast-forwarded through most of the second half of Season 1.

Mean, wtf is up with less-than-decent shows?

Yellowstone's the only thing I've seen lately that kept me watching.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Season 1 was 10 episodes. 308 total minutes (5 hours, 8 minutes).

Season 2 was 7 episodes. 229 total minutes (3 hours, 49 minutes).

It was shorter and felt rushed at times, while skipping some plot points. That said, it was still decent. The new guy Paulo Costanzo (Royal Pains), actually reminds me of Comedian Ari Shaffir (The Amazing Racist).

1647415619803.png
1647413149581.png

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Season 1 was 10 episodes. 308 total minutes (5 hours, 8 minutes).

Season 2 was 7 episodes. 229 total minutes (3 hours, 49 minutes).

It was shorter and felt rushed at times, while skipping some plot points. That said, it was still decent. The new guy Paulo Costanzo (Royal Pains), actually reminds me of Comedian Ari Shaffir (The Amazing Racist).

View attachment 403557View attachment 403552
It really felt 3 episodes short which is close too what you posted

Cybsled

Ya it felt like it could have gone longer - the cliffhanger they left it on feels like a mini cliffhanger they would have led to a larger one.

I do like they will be playing with the idea of what makes you you, though. The show originally seemed to treat downloads as a 1 off thing, but then we find out they can restore from backups if the person goes missing or whatever. I’m curious to see if they will challenge the idea of “is there a soul?” or not - if you can be perfectly replicated from data alone. The theme of the show makes me think they will lean on the “there is only one true you that can’t be quantified”, but it will make for some good content to explore

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I enjoyed it. I immediately thought of this forum in the last episode when Nora asked Nathan if her knees were too sharp.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have a prediction. Spoilering it so people don't read the end before finishing the series.

When Nathan woke up in that download body, I was like.. ok, neat. Then you see the new Nora () searching for him inside the system, and she can't find him, so the Batia, the mean gypsy lady says he fell in a glitch, and the younger girl should restore him from auto backup, but not tell anyone. So at first I was thinking this is somehow going to pull him OUT of his download body, but that doesn't make any sense. Now I think that it will have created a duplicate version of Nathan on the network, so now when his download body explodes, the backup version is free to continue as if nothing happened. And in the mean time, Ingrid with all her lovely family issues is trying to crank out a second Nathan body with hair from a brush. So who the fuck knows what's going to happen. Maybe this will cause two Nathans to be alive at the same time.

So yeah, there's that.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The fact they can just, apparently, restore from backup like that flies in the face of everything they've presented until now. Including everyone harping on about the first download dude exploding and how "dangerous" downloading is. How is it dangerous if you can just be restored via backup? Really... really major plot hole there. I am enjoying the series though

Cybsled

Well

It could be a pretty cynical take, but it would fit with the Corporate run world they live in. An important selling point to these expensive as fuck afterlives would be that you get to continue your existence beyond death.

But if your afterlife isn't "you", but rather a copy of you that doesn't realize it is merely a copy, then that sort of risks the whole enterprise. That would be a harder sell "You'll die, but there will be a version of you that thinks it is you that will exist in this digital afterlife, but it won't actually be "you"". If that were the case, it would be a pretty big thing to keep hush-hush. The fact the equivalent of a customer service rep could do that sort of craps on that idea, so I suspect the show will try to look for a way to argue against the cynical take. Or maybe not. The show has shown people being willing to effectively kill themselves to go to this digital afterlife, so I wouldnt be surprised if the ultimate outcome discourages people from that. Sort of like in religion - most religions almost always have a reason as to why you shouldn't just kill yourself and move onto whatever afterlife they believe in, be it eternal damnation, limbo, or getting a shitty reincarnation.

I do think if they do a season 3, then they'll definitely explore this concept. In a way, it is similar to the idea of a teleporter in Star Trek: Do you die everytime you use the teleporter, and what comes out the other end is just a copy that thinks it is you? There was a 90s Outer Limits episode that dealt with this: An alien species gives humanity access to teleportation technology, but all it really does is make a perfect copy (body and mind) in a distant location, then it vaporizes the "original" which effectively kills the person teleporting on the sending end. In the show, a woman goes to use it and the machine malfunctions and they cancel the vaporization process, as the aliens are unable to determine if the teleportation was successful. Later on, the aliens do confirm it succeeded and push the humans to basically murder the woman, because they have an ethical viewpoint that requires "balance", ie you cannot have 2 of the same exact person running around.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah I assumed it was one of those things that is true but that no one in the company would want to admit because it calls into question the moral and legal implications of the Uploaded.

Same general problem with the Star Trek transporter system whereby you disintegrate and reintegrate a brand new version of a person.

Khane

The two biggest issues with it for me are 1. what Cybsled pointed out. Such a low level employee knowing about and having the permissions to do it would make it impossible to keep it a secret. That would leak pretty quick if the information were that readily available within the company. And 2. Nathan wrote the same type of software and so would have that knowledge himself. Its possible to explain #2 as him just not having written software with that capability but if you're smart enough to write software than can save a human consciousness as data that can be uploaded and "kept alive" it's hard to believe backing up that data wouldn't be priority 1 or just be hand waved as "not possible ". Hes also able to use the pen knife to manipulate horizens code entirely too easily

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I just watched it all this weekend. Surprisingly good. The first time we saw black and white mildred, I looked at my wife and went "Damn, I think I found a new fettish. We need to get some B&W pics of you just in case" She looked disgusted. "That woman is over a hundred". So yeah I loved it when luke started hooking up with her.

Most of the story with the ludds is lame and confusing. But then again, if they were all single minded it would seem less real. So meh.

I liked how the IT security guy recognized a strange ring drive and threw it away instead of using it.

The dead end plotlines are confusing me. In a show like this (full of intrigue) they usually pull those threads back in eventually. I'm still expecting the weird cousin to still be alive.

Nora is falling in love too much. I can't figure out if it would be as weird if it were a dude.

I think my favorite part of the show is luke vs his angel.

Khane

Luke is definitely the best character on the show.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It feels like this season was 3 episodes short. I haven't heard if it is coming back for season 3 yet but I hope it does

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well

It could be a pretty cynical take, but it would fit with the Corporate run world they live in. An important selling point to these expensive as fuck afterlives would be that you get to continue your existence beyond death.

But if your afterlife isn't "you", but rather a copy of you that doesn't realize it is merely a copy, then that sort of risks the whole enterprise. That would be a harder sell "You'll die, but there will be a version of you that thinks it is you that will exist in this digital afterlife, but it won't actually be "you"". If that were the case, it would be a pretty big thing to keep hush-hush. The fact the equivalent of a customer service rep could do that sort of craps on that idea, so I suspect the show will try to look for a way to argue against the cynical take. Or maybe not. The show has shown people being willing to effectively kill themselves to go to this digital afterlife, so I wouldnt be surprised if the ultimate outcome discourages people from that. Sort of like in religion - most religions almost always have a reason as to why you shouldn't just kill yourself and move onto whatever afterlife they believe in, be it eternal damnation, limbo, or getting a shitty reincarnation.

I do think if they do a season 3, then they'll definitely explore this concept. In a way, it is similar to the idea of a teleporter in Star Trek: Do you die everytime you use the teleporter, and what comes out the other end is just a copy that thinks it is you? There was a 90s Outer Limits episode that dealt with this: An alien species gives humanity access to teleportation technology, but all it really does is make a perfect copy (body and mind) in a distant location, then it vaporizes the "original" which effectively kills the person teleporting on the sending end. In the show, a woman goes to use it and the machine malfunctions and they cancel the vaporization process, as the aliens are unable to determine if the teleportation was successful. Later on, the aliens do confirm it succeeded and push the humans to basically murder the woman, because they have an ethical viewpoint that requires "balance", ie you cannot have 2 of the same exact person running around.
You should really play this video game if you haven't.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Forgot to comment on this after I finished it a couple weeks ago. Overall I still enjoyed it, but it felt like a drop off from the first season. I also agree that it was too short and felt like one half of a real season. Still, I like most of the characters and it makes me laugh, so I'm happy to continue watching it, and will look forward to however many seasons they get.

I do want to say that if I ever created a TV show and needed a "strong and sassy black woman" I'd just pick the same actress and use Aleesha. She's awesome, while still filling that "diversity" slot everyone needs to see in current year. She's one of my favorite characters, honestly, and pairing her with Luke (the other best character) just fucking works amazingly well. Like Rafi from The League though, I think they are best in small bites providing counterpoint to the other (more boring) characters; an entire show of just them might not be as funny.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Nice. This show took a minute to find it's footing but it got really good by the end of season 2.

• 1Like