Val (2021)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

He didn't even get nominated for the performance. It was on par with Ledger's Joker and Ledger got the posthumous nod.

But anyway,

1625895775740.png

Release the Kurt Russell cut.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I think it could be interesting if he really did film behind the scenes all the time. (Saying he had a camcorder early on and liked to film)

But...

If he leaves out all the good stuff, and makes everybody look good then it will be another ho hum doc.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Watched this today. Really good I thought. It can get very depressing just seeing him struggle. Had to stop it and take a break because it makes you a little depressed just watching but you want to keep watching. Tons of camcorder stuff from his entire life pretty much. Shows some shitty stuff that he had to deal with. I always thought he was a good actor so I was pretty into this documentary.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can hear a touch of young Val in his son

I feel like sons don't usually sound like their dad that much.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He didn't even get nominated for the performance. It was on par with Ledger's Joker and Ledger got the posthumous nod.

But anyway,

View attachment 361752

Release the Kurt Russell cut.

in case anyone was confused Kurt Russell directed Tombstone entirely by himself. And has 4-5 hours of footage in his garage since he was the actual director.

Hollywood politics kept his name off the director credit and out of the chair, despite being the principal director.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Can hear a touch of young Val in his son

Wait, you mean that the guy narrating another person's life story might actually sound like that person?

Any other insights Captain Marvel?

• 1Garbage
  • 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wait, you mean that the guy narrating another person's life story might actually sound like that person?

Any other insights Captain Marvel?

If it's not the person narrating it themselves they don't usually go out of their way to find someone that sounds like person.

You retarded

Fucker

Log Wizard
If it's not the person narrating it themselves they don't usually go out of their way to find someone that sounds like person.

You retarded
You are arguing with a guy who keeps gallon jugs of rotting piss next to his bed because he's too lazy to get rid of them.

• 2WTF

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

You retarded

It's literally the life story of someone with no working vocal cords, you moron.

And "hey, how about his son?" isn't going out of their way.

You are FUCKING retarded.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's literally the life story of someone with no working vocal cords, you moron.

And "hey, how about his son?" isn't going out of their way.

You are FUCKING retarded.

So now you're going from the idea that this is something they obviously always do with narrators to now it being very specific to his vocal cord condition and his son.

Try to have a coherent thought

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So now you're going from the idea that this is something they obviously always do with narrators to now it being very specific to his vocal cord condition and his son.

Try to have a coherent thought

you're too retarded. I'm out.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Salty

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Overall not bad. Another reminder of how much cancer sucks.

Wish it focused on more of his experiences/thoughts in his roles and the behind the scenes in the movies he was involved in.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Wish it focused on more of his experiences/thoughts in his roles and the behind the scenes in the movies he was involved in.
Yeah, it was decent. Mostly depressing though. Val looks like a super goofy guy and it seems like acting was a good outlet for that. But eventually Hollywood destroyed his soul. Part of it being himself and focusing too much on the acting that he lost a piece of himself.

Scenes like him signing autographs and just feeling like complete shit, and then having to be wheeled out only to go back to singing autographs, or the Tombstone event and after introducing it going off in solitude to feel completely alone...they were just super hard to watch.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, they kind of went into it with the Island of Dr. Mareau shit, but I wish there had been more. I'm assuming it probably had to do with legal issues?

It seems like at some point, Val started taking himself just way too seriously, somewhere around Batman Forever era. Which is unfortunate, because he seems like a really goofy kid at heart. The dude can definitely act though, it just seems like he took consistently shitty roles. Just not sure if that's a result of his agent, him, Hollywood, etc.

It also didn't look like he was a smoker and/or drinker. So, I'm curious how he ended up with throat cancer. Shitty luck, I guess?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe HPV, that shot isn't just for your genitals, will fuck up your throat and mouth too

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
It seems like at some point, Val started taking himself just way too seriously, somewhere around Batman Forever era. Which is unfortunate, because he seems like a really goofy kid at heart. The dude can definitely act though, it just seems like he took consistently shitty roles. Just not sure if that's a result of his agent, him, Hollywood, etc.
He was an asshole to work with. I stopped watching this movie 10 minutes in, but I'm guessing he completely skipped over that part.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
He was an asshole to work with.
It's possible that's why you didn't see more "on-set" footage too, because people would've been able to draw from it that he was a dick to work with and fighting with actors/directors. But, they showed stuff from Top Gun and Tombstone and it seems like it was relatively buddy-buddy on those sets.

Now, you kind of get the sense he might've been a PITA after the Island of Dr. Mareau footage where he did have an interaction where he's being a bit of a drama queen. Although, it does seem like the director was a bit of a dickhead too. So, it's tough to really say for certain that Val was just a total shithead on sets.