Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
and they used Skyhovel no less, maybe take a pic of Stormwind and compare like with like.
Important point here. That wow shot is one of the ugliest zones/towns (and I love thunder bluff) and it's a 2004 asset for a 2008 comparison.
This was the wow of 2008:
IqWKsWx.jpg

Yeah, Vanguard didn't JUST have art problems, but even that picture of it having 'character' or whatever the fuck above with a pyramid, is ugly as sin. Game had like a negative art style. It made looking past all of theother bullshit to find the fun parts all the more tedious and droll.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vanguard had horrible technical and lag problems in a lot of the zones. The art style never bothered me, I certainly preferred it to the WoW style personally even though its much more popular.

I also enjoyed having an open world with dungeons and bosses that could be camped. It might seem crazy but I enjoyed obtaining and then defending those level 50 armor bosses with my guild. Same thing with Hegnarian and other open bosses before APW, we competed for the spawn cycle of mobs to spawn him whether it was 6am or 2pm. I really haven't had a dungeon experience or camping any item since I dont think. (Unless you count praying a raid boss drops some item).

TheYanger

ehhh...I can understand someone not liking cartoony/wow/EQ1 graphics, but...someone actively liking or even not being bothered by literally ugly shit like Vanguard and EQ2 models? I don't buy that for a second. Stilted shitty animations with no personality, shitty high schooler models with no interesting texture work (or no texture work with flat single colored skin etc). I also find its somewhat hilarious that someone got mad enough that I posted a screenshot of wow in a relevant discussion where it had already been brought up that they felt a need to give me a neg. So, whatever faggot thinks an ENVIRONMENTAL screenshot is a 'cartoon' can eat a their own penis: Whether you like wow cartoony models or not, that screenshot right there would be something you'd be masturbating and posting to show how badass Vanguard looked if it were part of that game. Get over it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Vanguard characters looked retarded. If you're going to do a realistic style, your artists and modelers have to be very good. Both VG and EQ2 characters looked painfully bad.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I got 3 negs in this thread for criticizing Vanguard's terrible art style. Kinda illustrates another problem VG has always had - its terrible zealot-like Neckbeard population.

If the player base can't criticize the game objectively, and hold dev's feet to the fire in ways that would actually benefit the game/business, the shit is doomed to failure.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys are focusing on the art too much, Sillius was the lead dev of this game. I mean lets say it looked like EQ Next or something from the future it still BARELY ran on most peoples PC's without major workarounds. Every single major patch and fix was delayed for weeks or months and the game had 3 weeks of 10 second lag when raids dropped.

I enjoyed VG fo sho, but it was nothing but dissapointment after dissapointment from the developers.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with VG was it could look like the best MMO in a certain area and then look extremely bland in another.

rrr_img_72421.jpg
rrr_img_72422.jpg
rrr_img_72423.jpg
rrr_img_72424.jpg

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
Vanguard had horrible technical and lag problems in a lot of the zones. The art style never bothered me, I certainly preferred it to the WoW style personally even though its much more popular.

I also enjoyed having an open world with dungeons and bosses that could be camped. It might seem crazy but I enjoyed obtaining and then defending those level 50 armor bosses with my guild. Same thing with Hegnarian and other open bosses before APW, we competed for the spawn cycle of mobs to spawn him whether it was 6am or 2pm. I really haven't had a dungeon experience or camping any item since I dont think. (Unless you count praying a raid boss drops some item).
Yeah, contested open-world content is something that I love, and it is increasingly rare. Azuregos and the world dragons were around for a bit in WoW, but they removed that at some point I think? I don't know, as I haven't played WoW for a couple years.

I played on Tharridon and then Sartok in Vanguard, and my best MMO experiences in any game took place in pvping over APW bosses.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's some of the contested raid boss stuff in archeage , in Pvp areas. But it sounds like there's no incentive to fight em, so don't really hear much about them which is a shame

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got 3 negs in this thread for criticizing Vanguard's terrible art style. Kinda illustrates another problem VG has always had - its terrible zealot-like Neckbeard population.

If the player base can't criticize the game objectively, and hold dev's feet to the fire in ways that would actually benefit the game/business, the shit is doomed to failure.
Just an FYI, I may be a Vanguard zealot but I would never neg over an opinion
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I might just login tonight to walk around and then uninstall it again. Telon deserves that, at least.

TheYanger

The problem with VG was it could look like the best MMO in a certain area and then look extremely bland in another.
Which of these is supposed to NOT look bland? The design of the areas is fine, but the plastic sheen on everything kills any REMOTE notion of realism. Lack of decent shadows in the environment make it all look copy/pasted together even when it's not.There is not a single screenshot of Vanguard in existence that does not look terrible. If people don't think that's a problem for an MMO, you're kidding yourself. I don't need a lot of polys or expect some Crysis 12 looking shit when I play one of these games, but it has to at least be somewhat appealing to the eye to spend 5 hours a night poopsocking some dragon. It's the same reason people hated Luclin models, the original ones had fantastic texture work and pleasing animations and shit. Luclin/EQ2/VG are all some shit I would expect a high school art enthusiast to make while learning Maya or something.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Luclin 2hand blunt animation was fucking embarrassing. Meh, they were all pretty bad. Even when I returned for a while in 2010/11 to EQ, I kept oldschool models on.