Very sturdy keyboard needed

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I need some recommendations on some really good, preferably macroable/gaming keyboards, with the #1 feature being sturdy!

I owned a G15 for years without issue, until the spacebar gave way. Then I bought a... oh what was it.. maybe a G19? It had the color LCD panel on it, but anyway, after just 1 year the space bar gave out and I couldn't get it fixed. I bought a G510 - which has lasted about 2 years, but same issue - the space bar gave out and a lot of my keys are smudging off (picture related). I have a G510S still in box new as a gift which I'll probably use as soon as I cant bear with this spacebar anymore.

Basically, I am a very fast but unusual typist. I'm a "rough typer". I dont hit my keyboard, but sometimes I'll pop the enter key, or really smack the spacebar with my thumb. I press on the right side of the space bar like 99% of the time as you can see in the picture, its totally worn out. Spacebars are always the issue for me though.

I might not go logitech anymore - their spacebars seem to suck, but I like how well they macro. I just want something really sturdy, especially around the space bar. Any recommendations?

rrr_img_104592.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just get any mechanical keyboard, 99% of all retail mechanical boards will be a cherry mx variant, heck judging from your keycaps you might even want to replace the keycaps and get some PBT (tougher) keycaps instead of the usual ABS plastic. (your g19 probably uses PVC)

Of course, the old joke IBM Model M, being a tank could be used here, it's a dream to type on even in this day in age.

Also, you might want to think about having an external or separate device for your macro'in duties, i myself have 2 devices dedicated for this.
Amazon.com: X-keys USB Stick Keys with 16 programmable keys: Computers Accessories
that i put under my monitor and i keep an old ass nostromo n52 around for the intensive stuff.

i'm not a mmo macro farmer or anything, i'm really lazy sometimes and just want a dedicated Ctrl + C / Ctrl + V button, yea i know right?

anyway i don't even know if you're open to using a mech board, so i'll just leave w/ that.

you can have one of these on the side to do your macro jobs and have a real keyboard, do keyboard jobs.
Amazon.com: Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard with LCD Display: Electronics

none of this all in one macro logitech shit.

Sterling

El Presidente
Mechanical keyboards are the shit. I doubt I'd ever buy another keyboard that wasn't mechanical.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Are you dead set on a gaming keyboard? If not, get one of those steel IBM circa 1980 mechanical keyboard clones.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is a second vote for a Razer BlackWidow. Love mine and it's insanely sturdy, you could murder someone with it easy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you dead set on a gaming keyboard? If not, get one of those steel IBM circa 1980 mechanical keyboard clones.
if one were to get an IBM Model M, and you wanted to use USB, you NEED to get this adapter
Amazon.com: SANOXY PS2 Keyboard To USB Adapter: Computers Accessories

commonly known as the "blue cube adapter", other ps2 to usb are just pass thru's you need an active one. The Model M's have quadripled in price since i last bought them 4 years ago. (i have 4 in storage) If you are going to buy a Model M, a good way to clean it is to use those dental tablets, Fixodent or whatever for dentures, cleans the nasty right off.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Thank you all for all the feedback. Once I get sick of this spacebar issue on this G510 I'm going to use my gifted G510S and then once that goes to shit in a year or less probably, you all have convinced me to use some level of combination of a mechanical (eg: IBM M Model clone) with a macro device like lanx linked.

I use the macro on the keyboard for both business and gaming, and find it built into the kb a convenience which is why I simply said gaming keyboard. But I think the way I type, I simply am going to have to use mechanical. I do remember the feel of the IBM M keyboards, and they were amazing, so that's the route I'll go.

Thanks again for all the insight!