Very sturdy keyboard needed

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea I have a K70 still (after the BlackWidow broke). It is decent, I do like the fact that the keyboard tray is basically a slab under the keys - so you can blow out any dirt/crumbs/crap without really removing keys most of the time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Essentially yes, when they first debuted them the build quality of the CODE was higher than their standard offering, but since they I believe they use the same construction in most of theirs, so compared to their current offerings they're basically the same, including the dip-switches and steel plate.

Been pretty happy with it, I've tried using some "gamer" keyboards in the past but as someone who essentially types for a living having a sturdy solid keyboard with no frills besides a few genuinely useful features, wins out over any amount of anything.

I also find the Cherry MX Greens to be pretty noticeably quieter, it's still a mechanical and has a click, but not anywhere near the level that my friends Corsair or my old model M had.
Have you looked into something like this?

Amazon.com: Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional2 (Black): Computers Accessories

Essentially a completely stripped down keyboard but uses Topre switches instead of Cherry.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thank you all for all the feedback. Once I get sick of this spacebar issue on this G510 I'm going to use my gifted G510S and then once that goes to shit in a year or less probably, you all have convinced me to use some level of combination of a mechanical (eg: IBM M Model clone) with a macro device like lanx linked.

I use the macro on the keyboard for both business and gaming, and find it built into the kb a convenience which is why I simply said gaming keyboard. But I think the way I type, I simply am going to have to use mechanical. I do remember the feel of the IBM M keyboards, and they were amazing, so that's the route I'll go.

Thanks again for all the insight!
what are you macro'in? like for my uses i just simple 2key or 8key sequences, nothing major for the x-keys. there are 2 different types, the x-keys ps2 and usb. I like going old school so i went ps2 (cuz it's just a y connection to the keyboard) and it's simle, you flick a switch, (and get flashing light) press the button you want designated for a macro, then input the keys on your keyboard, then press the intended button again, and flick off the switch and lights stop flashing.

i "heard" the usb has some issues, might be better cuz it uses an onscreen interface. i have no experience w/ the usb version.

you're already familiar w/ the logitech.

do you want some ebay search terms for the IBM M?
ok first, it'll be known as
"IBM Model M"

then the model number 1391401

IBM also did lexmark clones
52G9658
52G9700
82G2383
42H1292

every keyboard you find on ebay, you HAVE to make sure they take off the keycap and you can see the inside and see a buckling spring

rrr_img_104826.jpg

many ppl will try to sell you old IBM keyboards that aren't buckling spring (cuz they just think any old keyboard will sell)

common search terms:
mechanical keyboard
clicky keyboard

if you don't want to deal with ebay and classic keyboards, but still want the buckling spring, unicomp (old lexmark ppl and machines) produce new keyboards at
Unicomp, Inc.: Featured Products

right now, they're about the same price as the ebay finds, so, take your poison.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I may have about 12 of the recent mechanical keyboards...Ducky's to Deck's

Do notget a Black Widow. It's the worst of the mechanical keyboards. Keycaps wiggle way to much. Keys WILL stop working all together. Razer's software sucks.

If you must have a gaming mechanical keyboard get a Corsair K70/65 and be done with it.

If you do not require the macros get a Deck keyboard. This thing will literally kill someone if you hit them over the head with it enough times. Unless liquid is spilled on it, it's the last mechanical keyboard you will purchase. IF you spill liquid on it, call them up. They fixed mine free. I will always recommend them.

Below is the back of the deck keyboard.

rrr_img_104827.jpg

Products | Deck Keyboards

Tenks

I just wish they crammed arrow keys in the dead space at the bottom right. I'd probably buy it if it had arrow keys but without the arrow keys it would make unix prompting a bit cumbersome and I'd have to retrain my muscle memory on a new binding for previous entry/next entry and modifying commands via left/right arrows.

Tenks

I have a Das Blue for my Mac keyboard at work. I'm fine enough with it that I don't need to junk it for a topre switch keyboard. I'd probably be annoyed going super minimalist losing out on audio keys as well.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wouldn't Honda Civic Spoilers be the Honda Civic Spoilers of the world?

Also, Aladain, settle down on your spacebar man. No need to beat the shit out of it. I have a Corsair K95 and it's been awesome for the short time I've owned it.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I got a coolmaster CM storm quicksilver with brown switch. It's small, compact, look very sturdy. I ordered noise reducing rings from AWSD and it took me 15-20 minutes to install. When I got my computer for some reasons I could not install my razer mouse's drivers and it was driving me nuts. I really fell in love with that the keyboard when I realized that the keyboard didn't need any software.

The price was great if I recall correctly.

23-129-005-TS

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Most keyboards shouldn't need software... Nor do most 2 button + scroll wheel mice.

It's only when you start tacking on additional unrecognized inputs do you need drivers to translate that to the OS.

spronk

FPS noob
i've been using this Logitech G910 for 2 months now, had a G15 (or whatever the one with the LCD panel) before but it was starting to fall apart. Sometimes it goes on sale at best buy, when I bought it it was on sale for $150 with a $50 steam card
Amazon.com: Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (920-006385): Computers Accessories

happy with it so far, keys feel nice and solid and by default all the keys are the same color not that rainbow shit on amazon images. No USB ports which i kinda miss from the G15 but no power cord needed either which is nice.

I've never used any of the G1-19 keys in my life, but I do like the mute/volume buttons on it.

Tenks

Weird it doesn't use Cherry switches. Maybe the mech game is getting so big another company wants a piece of the pie.

For the same price (cheaper) you could have gotten a Das though with either Browns or Blues and it has media keys and a USB hub attached to it. It also doesn't look like a prop from Star Trek which is nice.