Very sturdy keyboard needed

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah seems you're right. No where on their site does it say Cherry switches it just says "Gold plated mechanical." What a bummer. Guess I'm off the Das train for now.

-edit-

It seems some models have Cherry and some have Greetech which I assume is the shitty Chinese knock off

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Weird it doesn't use Cherry switches. Maybe the mech game is getting so big another company wants a piece of the pie.

For the same price (cheaper) you could have gotten a Das though with either Browns or Blues and it has media keys and a USB hub attached to it. It also doesn't look like a prop from Star Trek which is nice.
That Logitech uses a newly developed switch the ROMERG by omron, while Omron aren't know for keyboard mechanical switches, they are in 99% of all mice and other peipherals, so they aren't new to the switch game, the travel is 25% less than a cherry mx brown, so that's why it's billed as a gamer switch - faster click.

along w/ all the other gamer stuff included.

Yeah seems you're right. No where on their site does it say Cherry switches it just says "Gold plated mechanical." What a bummer. Guess I'm off the Das train for now.

-edit-

It seems some models have Cherry and some have Greetech which I assume is the shitty Chinese knock off
Yea DAS is probably feeling the pinch of everyone else getting into the market so they switched over to the chinese knockoff Greetech, which by many accounts perform as well as Cherry MX's. A Greetech switch can be had for .10 in super bulk whereas a cherryMX is like .50 bulk.

Not like cherry MX's are the bomb digity, i've had a few switches fail on me. (easy enough to desolder/resolder)

MK right now sells em for 40bucks w/ shipping for 100pack, which is really great pricing for just switches themselves.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Actually they've been making keyboard switches for a while now.Omron B3G-S series - Deskthority wiki

I've been trying to get my hands on a omron keyboard for a while now. Even if it started as an ALPS clone it's unique enough to be worth a spot in my collection.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need a good cheap keyboard for work. It doesn't need to be mechanical, but the keys do need to be full sized and go all the way up and down.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Maybe one of the cheaper, non-mechanical Corsairs? The K30 and K40. I've been really impressed with my various Corsair products after building a new PC over the weekend and having a couple of their mechanical boards at home (K95) and the office (K70). All of it seems to be quality.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I just bought a mechanical keyboard, cherry. It's going to take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So why is everyone recommending mechanical keyboards here? I need a new keyboard (my 10 year old Saitek Eclipse II is finally shitting the bed) so I cam here to see if there was already a thread on gaming keyboards and found this gem.

Someone sell me on why I should get a mechanical keyboard.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So why is everyone recommending mechanical keyboards here? I need a new keyboard (my 10 year old Saitek Eclipse II is finally shitting the bed) so I cam here to see if there was already a thread on gaming keyboards and found this gem.

People really love the feedback of a mechanical keyboard.

I could give a fuck

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
It is the feel of satisfaction when you click the keys. Like gently stroking a nice firm breast of a smoking hot chick.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Its mostly personal preference but I prefer the feel of the mechanical feedback versus membrane. The build quality of a mechanic keyboard is *in general* much higher than that of a membrane keyboard. But there isn't anything functionally wrong with membranes. Fuck back in the day (and still currently to a lesser extent) Starcraft pros in Korea were using membrane keyboards (Specifically this one) and still wiping the floor with foreigners with full product sponsorships.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Please don't choose a mechanical keyboard if you're working near anyone else. Those things are goddamn annoying.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I clicked on this thread and saw a Gravy post and did a double take. Fuck.

Mechanical keyboards are much more precise than the stupid plastic membrane kind. You can get loud or soft ones but they are all more satisfying than the shitty squishkey ones.