Video Card Discussion

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Twice the price of a 1080 and only 20% faster.

Which is par for the course for the bleeding edge of performance. Heck, a 1080 is 75% more expensive than a 1070, and only 20-25% more performance. You definitely pay a premium for top of the line, which doesn't really correlate with the amount of additional performance you're getting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently, with overclocking, you can get it to almost 70% faster.

And that's with the voltage being locked.

I've never understood this argument. If you OC one, why wouldn't you OC the other? Sure the higher end card should OC and get better results, but it's not as huge as one OC'd and the other stock.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never understood this argument. If you OC one, why wouldn't you OC the other? Sure the higher end card should OC and get better results, but it's not as huge as one OC'd and the other stock.
There's almost no overclocking headroom on the 1080. Attempts to push a EVGA 1080 FTW higher than the stock overclock yielded no real-world performance boost.

Meanwhile, the new Titan X can take a 20% overclock without a sweat, and performance appears to scale almost linearly.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just waiting for 1070 under 350, then I Can hand down my 770 to the gf.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Apparently every crypto currency faggot is buying the RX480s in masse because the power requirements are so much lower they can make an extra dime a month or some nonsense.

Jovec

?
Yea newegg has to be mistaken.

Newegg said:
You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to a GeForce GTX 960 product that you purchased. This email was sent in error and was not accurate. There is no current or pending class action lawsuit related to the product that you purchased. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact NeweggCustomer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

No idea about the 980, but I'd guess the same.

Last edited:

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I snagged an EVGA 1080 (ACX 3.0) off Amazon.

They have them in stock (from Amazon) off and on, for $650 + prime shipping. Just have to keep checking and trying to order.

They originally said I wouldnt have it until Monday but according to Fedex I'll have it tomorrow.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Sent in error for 980

You recently received an email from us regarding a class action lawsuit related to a GeForce GTX 980 product that you purchased. This email was sent in error and was not accurate. There is no current or pending class action lawsuit related to the product that you purchased. We apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please don't hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Support Team

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I snagged an EVGA 1080 (ACX 3.0) off Amazon.

They have them in stock (from Amazon) off and on, for $650 + prime shipping. Just have to keep checking and trying to order.

They originally said I wouldnt have it until Monday but according to Fedex I'll have it tomorrow.

Argh... the cheapest SC's on Amazon start at $711. Really unsure if I should wait for more to get in stock or if I should bite the bullet and pay the $20-$30 extra. I need to finish this build in the next week or so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's 60 dollars extra. I would not pay above MSRP.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I snagged mine by checking every couple of hours. It would sometimes change to say $649.99 w/ prime, but not available for a few days. As long as you get it into your cart and check out, you'll (eventually) get one at that price from Amazon. They also don't charge until it ships.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Odds of there being a 1080ti next year? Not really sure I want to spring for a Titan right now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Odds of there being a 1080ti next year? Not really sure I want to spring for a Titan right now.

Probably 95% chance it will happen. We've had a Ti each of the last 2 generations, and they've been wildly successful. Don't know why Nvidia would stop now.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I caved and bought a GTX 1070. Now I can push my Asus g sync monitor at 1440p no problem.

Playing FPS on a 144+hz monitor with g sync is like cheating. Everything is so smooth.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not good IMO. Seems like Nvidia might just go straight to Volta next year instead of releasing a 1080ti.