Virtual Reality

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I see a shit ton of DK2's for sale on Ebay and it looks like they are all selling for north of $600. Should I sell mine and if I do what is the chance I get fucked by the winner canceling the credit card transaction once he gets the rift in the mail?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is awesome and shit like this will push vr further than video games ever will, and that in turn will benefit the video game industry. Not every household is going to want expensive gaming equipment, but something that allows you to sit down together with a loved one across the country is something that can appeal to the masses.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I see a shit ton of DK2's for sale on Ebay and it looks like they are all selling for north of $600. Should I sell mine and if I do what is the chance I get fucked by the winner canceling the credit card transaction once he gets the rift in the mail?
I would locally sell it. That is too much money to take a flyer on getting an honest person.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Really like the hololens stuff we've seen so far but at $3000 for the dev kit, I'm not sure it will have mass appeal. Hopefully the consumer version will be cheaper.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Watched a VR desktop demo, and I'm getting more interested in VR now. I find the productivity and creating virtual work/leisure space aspects to be stronger selling points than gaming.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is awesome and shit like this will push vr further than video games ever will, and that in turn will benefit the video game industry. Not every household is going to want expensive gaming equipment, but something that allows you to sit down together with a loved one across the country is something that can appeal to the masses.
This seems like something the US armed forces should have for service members. Sweet, sweet DoD money could really drive some quick iterations in development.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
BTW: Anyone here getting a VIVE?
My choice will be the Vive. I trust Steam more than FB, plus I see them transitioning over games I already have.

As of today there is not a single game I want for either system. So I will wait I guess.

spronk

FPS noob
i bought a rift and PSVR, my brother in law bought a vive (same town) so we will be trying each others stuff. He has a bigger house too so we're gonna set up a dedicated VR space. I already called blue shirt

djt67ynrnxtmztyfhauw.gif

The schism is really unfortunate, right now its basically three totally different sets of software and support. PSVR and PC will definitely be one split, you will see a lot of exclusives on either side. Vive and Oculus right now are really far apart too, with WAY more games supporting Oculus Rift than Vive, mostly because Oculus has a shit ton of first party games using only the Oculus SDK. Who knows how it'll shake down over the months. There are a few Vive exclusive games too. A lot of it is coming down to store support, with Steam not wanting to support the Oculus store (they lose their 30% revenue stream) and Oculus wanting VR games going through the Oculus store so they can control and curate the VR experience to ensure games are always 60 fps, etc.

If the SDK stuff doesn't get resolved its going to be a major reason why this iteration of VR fails in the gaming space.

edit: oh giant bomb doing their oculus rift launch day all day VR streaming
https://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My ebay sale of the rift dk2 fell through, the guy never paid and isn't answering. I hope the price doesn't drop in the next week while the 4 day resolution period ends.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I ordered a Vive. Shipping in May, got the same notice Spronk posted... think they were just trying to remind us how awesome it will be given the flurry of other news when it was sent out from the other products
tongue.png

I went with the Vive because of Valve and the option to do the unseated VR stuff. Should have a 10x10 area pretty easily accessible, with the ability to expand that if needed.

This review of a Rift game looks pretty neat.

Text review:Review: MOBA Meets RTS in VR - UploadVR

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
My ebay sale of the rift dk2 fell through, the guy never paid and isn't answering. I hope the price doesn't drop in the next week while the 4 day resolution period ends.
At least he didn't buy it pay you, get it and then cancel the charge on his credit card. I've had that happen and it blows.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
UPS delivered it, got it set up and running. I wish the cord was longer. The screens are nice and bright. The resolution is much better but still not where it eventually needs to be. Not complaining mind you, it is sharp and much nicer than DK2, but it just makes you realize that in a few years having 2x 4K screens is going to be amazing.

Haven't had much time to mess with it but Lucky's Tale looks great and there is a free Oculus Experience on the store that gives you a couple very brief demos and they look good.

rrr_img_129781.jpg

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I'm definitely going to be getting one of the 1st gen headsets. I've been holding out for release to see comparisons of the Rift and the Vive CVs before pulling the trigger. At this point though, if money is no object, I feel like the Vive is pretty much the obvious choice given room scale/motion controllers.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I preordered the VIVE today. No strong feelings between the 2, and while John Carmack gives me faith in the Rift, I ultimately trust that GabeN wouldn't lead me astray either.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
UPS delivered it, got it set up and running. I wish the cord was longer. The screens are nice and bright. The resolution is much better but still not where it eventually needs to be. Not complaining mind you, it is sharp and much nicer than DK2, but it just makes you realize that in a few years having 2x 4K screens is going to be amazing.

Haven't had much time to mess with it but Lucky's Tale looks great and there is a free Oculus Experience on the store that gives you a couple very brief demos and they look good.

rrr_img_129781.jpg
What the flying fuck kind of keyboard is that?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
old wolf claw and wolf king, I used to play a lot of Quake 2 and Counterstrike and I always liked that setup. They are antiques now.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So far the only two games that haven't worked for me are the games that I actually bought today from the Oculus store. I paid $50 for project cars and $10 for a racing game called Blazerush. No sound in Blazerush, no controller working in Project Cars
frown.png
Every free demo and game worked fine with sound and control. It doesn't look like they have the ability to refund money like Steam does either. I've got tickets open for both but there are probably thousands of tickets open for support right now.

Luckeys Tale is flat out fucking amazing though and that alone would keep people busy for a while.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If a VR game is on steam, that means Vive, and maybe Rift compatibility? Any easy rule of thumb there if they don't explicitly differentiate?

Wonder how well the Vive will fit on the Thanos or Deadpool head banks I've got.