Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Would love jump into VR myself, but really need the tech to improve to a point where you aren't wearing a suitcase on your back to be cord-free.
Will be a while. Wireless transmission conflicts with a lot of different goals of VR including data rate, size, power consumption etc.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, there are a few competing addons hitting the market soon, they've had pretty good results so far.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Dying for the Apple AR glasses announcement Soon(tm). They bought Primesense back in 2013, the Israeli company behind the Xbox Kinect.

AR is going to be fucking crazy.

Microsoft has AMAZING tech in the hololens, but it's going to fall short. The view angle sucks balls and it's too big.
Google, once again, missed an opportunity by canning Google Glass.

VR is a doodoo novelty. HTC Vive is the only VR device that matters at the moment.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Picked up the HTC Vive and then smacked my Vive controller into a wall as i tried to punch a bitch in Super Hot. Durable controllers thankfully, picked up various other random games for the kids and they are loving it. But man Super Hot is just awesome shit in VR. My 9 Year old is just doing Matrix style maneuvers and all his shadow sword fighting and pistol shooting training is paying off for him in this. The Lab from Valve is so damn good, cant wait to see the games they are working on.

Went with Vive cause of the support Valve will give it, and had a spare room to dedicate to it and its just fantastic, but i think i need to make the play area smaller to avoid any more wall smacking. This is just sooo damn ripe for some great Myst style games and old school dungeon crawler RPGs. Also i feel so strange after a session in VR makes me believe i leave one simulation and get into another its so fucking trippy and awesome.

Killswitch

N00b
Im so on the fence on picking up the Vive which to me seems like the better gear? Will have to upgrade my VC but I feel like some new tech might be worth waiting for? Maybe I should just save some cash and grab the Occulus? Fuckn decisions....

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Whatever is next is worth waiting for, and for enthusiasts the tech we have now is worth buying ;)

Good luck holding off. :D

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Im so on the fence on picking up the Vive which to me seems like the better gear? Will have to upgrade my VC but I feel like some new tech might be worth waiting for? Maybe I should just save some cash and grab the Occulus? Fuckn decisions....
If I bought a VR system I'd get the VIVE, even with the Rift price drop.

Oculus tried to build a walled garden and sectioned themselves off too much.

Note that I'm waiting until 4k (or close) VR displays before jumping in again.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Yeah cant wait till this shit is crisp in VR like it is on a computer screen. One gripe i have with VIVE no idea if its like that with the Oculus is the glare you will get off the eye lens. Also browsed the workshop and saw you can set the Enviroment to say Rick and Mortys garage or living Room and a few others but then promptly picked the Holodeck with the open door for mine and actually shed a tear as i was standing there.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Picked up the HTC Vive and then smacked my Vive controller into a wall as i tried to punch a bitch in Super Hot. Durable controllers thankfully, picked up various other random games for the kids and they are loving it. But man Super Hot is just awesome shit in VR. My 9 Year old is just doing Matrix style maneuvers and all his shadow sword fighting and pistol shooting training is paying off for him in this. The Lab from Valve is so damn good, cant wait to see the games they are working on.

My 6 year old has eaten up Robo Recall. He's actually high up on the global leader boards :p. I may have to check Super Hot out.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd like to think that I would be good at Robo Recall. I'd also like to think a lot of things and none of that shit would turn out to be true. I would make a bad superhero/ninja/secret agent. Those robots get all up in my face and I panic every time.

I saw the creators of the original Descent have a new Descent clone on Steam called Overload. Supports VR and HOTAS setups, going to try the demo out tonight.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not surprised. I don't want to read into it much but he's probably not effective in his current role.

Luckey was tremendously successful, he took advantage of a massive gap between existing technology and what was possible and made a fortune by providing a top-quality product. Even if the other groups were producing their own stuff in secret, that kind ingenuity doesn't happen often.

I wonder what he'll do now. Probably whatever the fuck he wants.