Virtual Reality

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If gen 2 is seriously going to be 2x 4k displays, wireless and 120hz then I fully expect gen 3 to beam this shit directly into our brains.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've got a long list of non gaming things I need to buy before I get a VR setup

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
HTC's CES announcements:

VIVE Unveils New Accessories and Subscription Service at CES - VIVE Blog

- a new band for the Vive w/ audio, adds a dial in the back for better adjustments
- a new accessory that adds additional tracking, so that other trackable products could be made (golf clubs, rifles, baseball bats, etc)
- the TPCast will be $250 in the states, this is the wireless add-on that is only available overseas at the moment, coming in Q2. There are 2+ other competitors w/ the same type of device coming in 2-17, not addressed in the link above
- a subscription service coming to viveport. I guess if it's like EA Access or something and gets me a couple free titles a month for a few bucks I might be interested. Probably need a little more than that.
- some stuff for enterprise customers.

Still really interested in the wireless addons.

spronk

FPS noob
I think VR is dead. Bear with me, here is why. So every year I attend CES, and every year at CES I have noticed that the giant South Hall bottom end is filled with technology that ends up dead in 12-18 months. Three years ago it was health and lifestyle devices like fitbit, just tons and tons of pedometer type crap. Two years it was full of home automation, no one seems to give a shit about NEST type stuff anymore. Last year it was full of drones. This year it was packed with VR, AR, and drones. Just hundreds of booths of shitty VR devices, "experiences", AR rando stuff, drones of all shapes and sizes including air, water, bugs, and some combos of AR and drones.

Most of the VR headsets have now graduated to more AR style ala google glass, wireless with a sort of glass wraparound in the front with an inset that is an actual OLED type screen, sometimes one sometimes two. Not at all seamless but I guess less awkward than Rift/Vive. Not impressed at all though.

The things that got me most excited were the new OLED TVs from LG, nothing revolutionary but better quality than 2016 models. Same with Samsung TVs, the top end 77" is literally a few pieces of paper thick. Also the new lineup of Samsung monitors for PC/console gaming are all great, freesync/gsync, 144hz refresh rates, very low input lag, only bummer was so many were 1080p instead of 4k. Some of the drones were fucking amazing especially the one you can "throw" and it'll follow you around like a dog

Oh the drones that were licensing Star Wars and looked like tie fighters, X-Wings, and other star wars stuff was kinda cool too but $199 so too cheap to be good and too expensive to be cheap

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
VR definitely isn't dead the technology is just still 5-10 years away from making it an immersive and enjoyable enough experience that it captures mainstream audiences.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That new strap from HTC will hopefully address my main complaints with my Vive.

So my Vive has sat untouched for months; mostly because I was remodeling my kitchen and couldn't clear the play space in my living room for a while. I finally decided last weekend to update all the firmware and get some VR time in. I played this game called Arizona Sunshine and holy shit is it good. Really makes me wish I had a bigger play space, but even with my relatively small 2m x 2m, it was awesome. Very high polish. Didn't get the try the multiplayer out, though. It really reminded me why VR is awesome.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I want to play the dumb free game Justin Roiland made

Accounting

Anyways, I've only played VR for about 30 minutes total on my friend's Rift w/ Touch setup. I'm hardly one to have any input on what people should play :p

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wish VR like this was around when I was a teenager/early 20s and taking tons of acid. I probably would have went all Lawnmower Man, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
yOH8sOS.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Three years ago it was health and lifestyle devices like fitbit, just tons and tons of pedometer type crap. Two years it was full of home automation, no one seems to give a shit about NEST type stuff anymore. Last year it was full of drones. This year it was packed with VR, AR, and drones.
I think you are off base here. These products are not dead, they are ubiquitous. Everyone knows about them and everyone either has some form of one or knows people that do.

Meanwhile you are talking about OLED TV's, but, who gives a fuck? I am not going to upgrade my TV for years at least and it isn't even 4k or HDR capable.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Sheesh.

Oculus cost $3B not $2B, Zuckerberg says in trial

The extra billion went to cover retention bonuses ($700 million) and other incentives ($300 million). At the time of purchase, Facebook reported a $2 billion purchase price in an agreement that also provided for "an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones."
Also, this thread has some pretty funny quotes in it, like stuff from The Social Network.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
thats pretty much a minor slap on the wrist, they ruled that while palmer violated some NDA, Oculus didn't steal tech. Which means Zenimax can't force them to stop selling the rift or get some $$ per rift sold or anything like that, they just get a small piece of the oculus buyout pie
Oculus lawsuit ends with half billion dollar judgment awarded to ZeniMax

Facebook currently has 26 billion in cash and earns 35 million a day in profits.

Last edited: