Wall art ideas

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I tried to get one of my favorite pieces of art from Tim Bradstreet but his dealer never responded to my email.

The Rasterbator

This website is cool if you want to cover a wall with a "mural" of sorts.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It depends what you want. If you want a mundane gallery style, grab a bunch of paintings you like put it all up in random orders spaced evenly and who cares, you're only in an apartment which means you'll probably move at some point. However, if you want cohesive decor, you want to tie the pieces into the entire room, which means you need to be cognizant of styles, colors, lighting, etc. for the art but also you should tie it into the paint color, moulding, wall sizes and shapes, furniture style and colors, etc.

I would first decide a general plan - theme color palette and size/number. For my main family room this was cool colors (blues/grays - matches the paint and trim), I needed several pieces and various odd sizes/shapes from tiny to massive. As for theme, my house has a big mantle and I couldn't live without a model of the USS Constitution as a mantle piece, so I decided to make it the center of the art selections and build out from there.

This made it pretty easy to decorate, we have a skylight, a pool and an open floor plan so to me I felt some light nautical theme was going to work well because I had my mantle (centerpiece), I wanted to make the room pleasing and not clash with having the back of my house open to the pool and sunlight pouring in.

That said, you don't want to go full Disney theme resort either. Give you an example, I put up an antique German barometer on one wall. Not really nautical at all, but actually functional, a neat piece and tied into the decor aesthetically. I do have one seascape on the wall, which is about as close as I get, but it's just a very calming picture and fits without yelling "hobby lobby aisle six". I also found, randomly, outdoor LED old fashioned looking brass lanterns on a rope that perfectly replace the garland in non xmas season and provide great ambient lighting on the mantle during the summer nights. I'm still looking for one more piece to fit a very long narrow stretch, I think I've settled on a metal wall art with the lacquered finish, something a bit abstract but the same color palette and with the curves to evoke waves without hitting you over the head with it.

So this is just an example of some thought patterns on decorating. Consider things other than "canvas" (paintings). Metal wall art, enameled photo/painting prints with phosphorescent inks, decorative lighting, clocks/weather instruments, models/statutes, shadow boxes (probably not great for apartments...), switch plate covers, tapestries/hangings, light fixtures, curtains, etc., etc.

Just focus on developing a coherent plan first and find your centerpiece for inspiration to build around. Shop retail, antique stores, online, look for stuff that fits the theme, size, palette, price range and the space.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Print is a misnomer in this case, as they are actually original etchings (which is just a way to print - for this example its 1 of 250 original run etchings) done by the artist himself. A knock off "print" is a literal copy of those 250 etchings on arches paper (or similar). The way to tell the difference in this case is the etching itself (no gold dust, hand stenciling/colored pencil work, and a few other ways that are uninteresting unless you're really curious!).

Etching - Wikipedia

Song of Songs of Solomon (portfolio of 12 works) by Salvador Dalí on artnet Auctions

Salvador Dalí Prints and Multiples - 378 For Sale at 1stdibs
Ah, okay. Shit, that'd be WAY out of my price range then.

I figured you just meant print as in a printed off copy of their original.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ah, okay. Shit, that'd be WAY out of my price range then.

I figured you just meant print as in a printed off copy of their original.

Those are also everywhere and affordable and look mostly identical. I have several straight copy prints as well framed and most can't tell the difference and they still look great! Just make sure to get the print on textured paper

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
im digging this dali dude

He's dope. His pieces at the Reina Sofia are probably my favorite part of the museum.

Some of the art in my place are from places I've traveled - whether pics I've taken myself or some of the aforementioned things. Like an old map of Madrid, a WW2 style advertisement for the Giant's Causeway, street art I bought in Seattle, etc. Most of my stuff is actually concert posters from the original artists. But I collect those. I have a TON that are not hanging up on the walls.

I have also mounted some of my guitars on the wall and put my best-looking ones up. I've been looking into having a wall garden as well. It would look nice and it could be really useful if I fill it with fresh herbs.