War with Syria

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'd have to see it to believe it.
It was cruz, I heard him on the radio again friday. For whatever reason, he thinks it will pass if he can prevent them from stripping out the obamacare language, and he thinks he has at least an outside shot of doing that.

How bizzare would it be if sometime next month Congress quietly passed a bill authorizing military action in Syria and Obama vetoed it?
I don't understand what that has to do with what I said. Did you misquote?

iannis

Musty Nester
It doesn't have much to do with anything really. But how bizzare would that be that it gets quietly pushed, riders get attached (standard stuff like making abortion illegal and exiling all homosexuals to cuba) and then Obama has to veto it. lol.

iannis

Musty Nester
If all branches of our government are going to suck this fucking much at the very least they can attempt to entertain me.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
OK I'll admit, that would be interesting. Bizarre might be too strong of a word.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Some nice vague and flowery language from Kissinger

Henry Kissinger predicts Syria will comply with 90 percent of chemical weapons deal

Kissinger said he remains optimistic that the deal would have a positive impact on the region and the world.
"There could be quite a good outcome, 'cause if we get the chemical weapons, it then becomes a basis for a transition in Syria that leads to relative peace then at the end of the day," he said. "However tortuously we arrived at this conclusion, it will have served the interest of the world."

Soriak_sl

shitlord
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/09/18/...war-crowd-now/

"Do you remember the days, weeks, and months following the start of the Iraq war in early 2003? Do you remember the throngs of celebrities ? Michael Moore, Sean Penn, and Susan Sarandon to name a few ? and the Democrats in Washington (i.e. then-Senator John Kerry and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi), who marched in the streets, signed petitions, and flooded the air waves with anti-war rhetoric? ?Bush lied. People died? became the all-too-popular catch phrase.

Flash forward a decade, and we find ourselves on the precipice of war. Just last week, President Obama admitted the U.S. is now providing arms to the Syrian rebels, despite the overwhelming evidence that the rebels have been overrun by terrorist groups like Al Qaeda.

So where is the anti-war crowd now? Well, Hollywood has gone silent. Meanwhile, Secretary of State John Kerry and Rep. Nancy Pelosi have completely changed their tune. On tonight?s Glenn Beck Program, Glenn exposed the hypocrisy
."

Fuck he's starting to sound reasonable! I'm scared!
Only at first glance, but it's really a false equivalency. Few people oppose military intervention in any and all cases -- and the ones who do, are protesting now, too. You don't hear anything because there aren't that many of them. There are two important differences here: 1) there is a preponderance of evidence that chemical weapons have been used and that only the regime has the capabilities of employing them to this extent, and 2) the mission does not send 100k+ soldiers for an indefinite period, nor does it rely on magically winning hearts and minds to be resolved.

Evidence + short, limited intervention seems like a pretty clear defined mission and one that is certainly legitimate.

From what I heard, even the video where you can see the chemical weapons in action made it on the net -- liveleak, maybe? In any case, I didn't have the stomach to check for myself. They have too many beheadings and there's a video supposedly showing a baby surviving a phosphorous attack... yeah, not clicking that.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/09/18/...war-crowd-now/

"Do you remember the days, weeks, and months following the start of the Iraq war in early 2003? Do you remember the throngs of celebrities ? Michael Moore, Sean Penn, and Susan Sarandon to name a few ? and the Democrats in Washington (i.e. then-Senator John Kerry and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi), who marched in the streets, signed petitions, and flooded the air waves with anti-war rhetoric? ?Bush lied. People died? became the all-too-popular catch phrase.

Flash forward a decade, and we find ourselves on the precipice of war. Just last week, President Obama admitted the U.S. is now providing arms to the Syrian rebels, despite the overwhelming evidence that the rebels have been overrun by terrorist groups like Al Qaeda.

So where is the anti-war crowd now? Well, Hollywood has gone silent. Meanwhile, Secretary of State John Kerry and Rep. Nancy Pelosi have completely changed their tune. On tonight?s Glenn Beck Program, Glenn exposed the hypocrisy
."

Fuck he's starting to sound reasonable! I'm scared!
This is really a bullshit comparison. One involved regime change and sending 200,000 troops to sit indefinitely in Iraq and fight insurgency wars. Syria implies a bunch of missile strikes and thats about it.

But the real reason is the war fatigue. Almost a decade and a half of non stop pointless fighting, drone strikes and labyrinthine shifting allegiances - even I no longer give a fuck. I was a very vocal opponent of the Iraq War in 2003 but I even I can't be bothered to give a shit in 2013. I'm spent. Make no mistake, people like me, Penn, Moore and Sarandon still oppose these idiotic wars but if you think we're tacitly agreeing with Obama's decisions by not marching in the streets again, you're wrong. You got no one but yourself to blame for our apathy.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
go away, you bleach chugging retard.

everyone here hates you and mocks you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I need an app that posts Ned Stark pictures for when I get reported posts on my phone.

HamGrenade_sl

shitlord
Lobby your representatives to make the laws even harsher and the oil companies will comply. It is annoying but meh, the cost just gets passed along anyhow, even though it does bugger up the demand curve.
That lobbying effort will definitely be as effective as a couple briefcases full of cold hard free speech for the re-election warchest.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Tunisian Interior Ministry: Sex jihad to Syria halted

The statement comes in the wake of a media storm over the role of so-called "jihad al-nikah," where women have extramarital sex with multiple partners to advance the goals of holy war - a permissible practice according to some extremist Islamist doctrine.
Tunisia's Interior Minister Lotfi Ben Jeddou remarked in an address to the National Constituent Assembly last week that women were traveling to Syria "in the name of sexual jihad," adding that they are allegedly "swapped between 20, 30 and 100 rebels, and they come back bearing the fruit" of those contacts.

"We believe this is propaganda," said Maher Nana, the president of the Human Rights Alliance for Syria. "Maybe the Tunisians have some evidence but I think these are just some false claims from the interior minister that might be linked to a political agenda."

Tunisia's Minister of Religious Affairs Noureddine Al-Khadimi first brought the so-called "sexual jihad" in Syria to light in March. He cited a mysterious fatwa allegedly issued by hardliner Saudi cleric Muhammed al-Arifi, in which he was said Syrian fighters should engage in intercourse marriages for a few hours to relieve their earthly desires and boost morale. The report first aired on Lebanon's Al Jadeed TV, and was then picked up by a number of social media websites and local online news publications.

However, Al-Arifi quickly denied issuing any such fatwa, and a number of Islamist groups claimed that it was a farcical report planted by Iran to distract fighters and misguide Arab women.
Are Arab Women Flocking To Syria For 'Sex Jihad'?