WarCraft (2016)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're aware that War2 is next? Blackhand was Warchief during War1, Orgrim Doomhammer is up now for the War2 storyline - attack on Lordaeron. Which conveniently doesn't require Stormwind to be sacked, so they're good on that.

Column_sl

shitlord
Movie was decent, last half hour was a mess tho.

It's like they couldn't decide on one ending so they gave you like 50 of them..

I can't see them getting another shot at this. Probly the last movie you will see on WoW.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I never saw that yet. But out of all the shittiest movies that are out there, and some of that I have at least gotten laughs out of because it was so shitty, without a doubt, I think it is one of the worst, if not THE worst, movie I have ever seen in the history of my life. And I have watched some SHITTY movies in the day.
Are you trolling? Movie is average at worst. You never been to a showing of The Room and been buried in plastic spoons while yelling "MEANWHILE IN SAN FRANSISCO" at the screen? You haven't lived until you have!

I guess since ive never followed WC lore it was kind of interesting. I only played WC3 and WoW and raided and ignored lore altogether so i was a bit curious on some aspects. Im pretty sure this isnt following the lore completely but it was interesting still.
It's completely following the Warcraft 1 Alliance Campaign obviously edited into a movie and the usual liberties that entails with WoW visuals, it's a very faithful adaptation. The only thing not in the lore is that Dalaran has what seems to be a Naaru in it, it's either new, unrevealed in WoW or just condensing parts of the Exodar storyline for later.

You're aware that War2 is next? Blackhand was Warchief during War1, Orgrim Doomhammer is up now for the War2 storyline - attack on Lordaeron. Which conveniently doesn't require Stormwind to be sacked, so they're good on that.
Warcraft 2 follows the Orc Campaign Victory with Stormwind destroyed and The Horde invading three dwarf kingdoms, an elf kingdom and five human kingdoms. The Horde is winning until Gul'dan takes half of them to find The Tomb of Sargeras, so you beat the two halves of The Horde separately and they lose.

The movies are following the Human Campaign Victory, we didn't even see the scouting party siege Stormwind, how are they beating the rest without the bulk of The Horde? Here are their options:
#1: Open movie 2 with the portal opening again somehow, do the Warcraft 2 storyline and ruin the whole point of movie 1. Shitty writing.
#2: Do a slightly modified version of Warcraft 2: Beyond The Dark Portal. Instead of a Ner'zhul solo adventure, have the Clanchiefs just raid (not full on invade) multiple locations to gather artifacts to open the portal again while Khadgar gathers heroes in each location to fight back and eventually go through to Draenor themselves to close it. Lothar dies fighting Doomhammer for some reason and a lot of orcs make it to Azeroth anyway in the end to be refugees like in Warcraft 2. I think that this is what they will do.
#3: Do a timeskip and start Warcraft 3's storyline with grown up Thrall, however it's four times longer than Warcraft 1 or 2 with unconnected storylines until the end so it's really movie unfriendly. It would really need to be heavily edited or several movies/cinematic universe, they can't do several movies off of what they just released.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Considering that non-US markets seem to be doing very good, with China being a huge success for them (about 50mil the first day alone), they will surely do at least 1 sequel. I get that they wanted to start the WoW-movies at *the beginning*, but Arthas/Lich King would have been a much better first movie for the non-wow crowd.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Considering that non-US markets seem to be doing very good, with China being a huge success for them (about 50mil the first day alone), they will surely do at least 1 sequel. I get that they wanted to start the WoW-movies at *the beginning*, but Arthas/Lich King would have been a much better first movie for the non-wow crowd.
Hollywood is not going to make a story where the main character goes back and does genocide at the end of the movie, they couldn't even destroy Stormwind like they should have in this movie.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well, Darth Vader killed a whole planet in the movies, no problem for Hollywood it seems
wink.png

spronk

FPS noob
Movie was decent, last half hour was a mess tho.

It's like they couldn't decide on one ending so they gave you like 50 of them..

I can't see them getting another shot at this. Probly the last movie you will see on WoW.
The studio behind it, Legendary, recently got bought by a chinese company and the movie has already made $150m in China this week so its pretty much a lock for WC2 & 3 at this point. It'll probably be tuned for chinese tastes though
frown.png

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Worse than Dungeons and Dragons? Worse than Wing Commander? Worse than Battlestar Galactica? I'm seriously asking.
Yes. Worse than all three of those. Imagine Wing Commander, with George Lucas Directing and using Hayden Christiansen as Maniac.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Are you trolling? Movie is average at worst. You never been to a showing of The Room and been buried in plastic spoons while yelling "MEANWHILE IN SAN FRANSISCO" at the screen? You haven't lived until you have!

It's completely following the Warcraft 1 Alliance Campaign obviously edited into a movie and the usual liberties that entails with WoW visuals, it's a very faithful adaptation. The only thing not in the lore is that Dalaran has what seems to be a Naaru in it, it's either new, unrevealed in WoW or just condensing parts of the Exodar storyline for later.

Warcraft 2 follows the Orc Campaign Victory with Stormwind destroyed and The Horde invading three dwarf kingdoms, an elf kingdom and five human kingdoms. The Horde is winning until Gul'dan takes half of them to find The Tomb of Sargeras, so you beat the two halves of The Horde separately and they lose.

The movies are following the Human Campaign Victory, we didn't even see the scouting party siege Stormwind, how are they beating the rest without the bulk of The Horde? Here are their options:
#1: Open movie 2 with the portal opening again somehow, do the Warcraft 2 storyline and ruin the whole point of movie 1. Shitty writing.
#2: Do a slightly modified version of Warcraft 2: Beyond The Dark Portal. Instead of a Ner'zhul solo adventure, have the Clanchiefs just raid (not full on invade) multiple locations to gather artifacts to open the portal again while Khadgar gathers heroes in each location to fight back and eventually go through to Draenor themselves to close it. Lothar dies fighting Doomhammer for some reason and a lot of orcs make it to Azeroth anyway in the end to be refugees like in Warcraft 2. I think that this is what they will do.
#3: Do a timeskip and start Warcraft 3's storyline with grown up Thrall, however it's four times longer than Warcraft 1 or 2 with unconnected storylines until the end so it's really movie unfriendly. It would really need to be heavily edited or several movies/cinematic universe, they can't do several movies off of what they just released.
Shut up Metzen.

Column_sl

shitlord
The studio behind it, Legendary, recently got bought by a chinese company and the movie has already made $150m in China this week so its pretty much a lock for WC2 & 3 at this point. It'll probably be tuned for chinese tastes though
frown.png
I'd be more concerned that it looks like all those terrible CGI Asian movies they put out. If the sequels don't have the same people involved you should wish a sequel never gets made

Szlia

It'll probably be tuned for chinese tastes though
frown.png
What does that mean though? Looking at some previous years chinese box office we have 8 US blockbusters in the top 20 grossing films of 2015 (N?1: Furious 7...), 9 in 2014 (N?1: Transformers: The Age of Extinction...) , 11 in 2013 (N?1 was Journey to the West, N?2 Iron Man 3). Currently 12 in 2016 (N?1: Is the new movie by Stephen "Kung Fu Hustle" Chow called The Siren and that's the highest grossing film ever in China, N?2 is Zootopia, N?3 is Captain America: Civil War).

I guess it can be argued that most of the very successful chinese films on the chinese market have elements of comedy in them (which is a staple of a certain type of US blockbusters too) or are comedies. The three big chinese successes of 2015 where Monster Hunt (kung-fu comedy with CGI monsters), Mojin: The Lost Legend (Chinese Uncharted, the blockbuster movie) and Lost in Hong-Kong (silly comedy with 8754564 references to '80s and '90s HK films and sorta sequel to a couple high grossing comedies around the same cast and crew).

Somehow I doubt they will go the heavy comedy route with Warcraft. What they might do is find parts for well known chinese actors (Gul'dan in this movie was voiced by Daniel Wu and asian-american actor based in Hong Kong) and possibly spice up the combat sequences.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup for the overseas market if nothing else this is going to get a sequal it looks like its going to wind up making a pretty healthy profit regardless of what it does in the US.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Was that the finale of the film?
No. But the genocide of the imperials with the second Death Star counts. There were just people on that thing trying to go about their daily lives. Janitorial staff, droid maintenance folks, some security people... One minute they are resting comfortably after a hard days work, and the next they wake up to realize the Millenium Falcon is barreling down their ass at 5,000 Mph through an access tunnel and they will never see their families again. And trust me, those kids who just wanted to see dear old mom or dad again? They will never view the galaxy in the same way. And then to add insult to injury, to complete the genocide of the empire, they showed a burning Darth Vader to seal the deal.

Obviously, I think there were some racial undertones too. Paging Tanonomamamaba.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Also, holy shit.

"Warcraft is a massively unwatchable disaster"

Warcraft Review - World of Warcraft Movie

Gamers wonder why Hollywood rarely does right by any of their beloved properties. In the case of Warcraft, it appears that every decision was geared toward maximizing the film's blockbuster-ness. You know the signs by now: Throw in a smidgeon of social relevance; Warcraft has vague pleas to respect the environment and other peoples. Slather everything with special effects that stop feeling special because there's no real magic or wonder underneath. Copy the look and feel of popular movies. Be sure to leave room for sequels by creating an unresolved ending that makes the two-hour film the audience just endured feel like a mere setup for what's to come.

Plenty of big summer movies have ridden this done-to-death formula to box-office riches, so you can understand why filmmakers keep milking it. But if Warcraft's commercial failure in some small way stirs studios to rethink their derivative tendencies, then by that measure?and by that measure only?this abysmal stinker will have been a success.
God Speed ticket holders.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Better than Xmen, maybe a 6.5/10? Wont bitch if the wife wants to buy it.

Expected it to be shit. Wish it was R.

Dunno the WC1 storyline that well anymore, but it felt retconned (a few here said it was?), but that has been decades ago so my brain took it as correct. Lol

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Better than Xmen, maybe a 6.5/10? Wont bitch if the wife wants to buy it.

Expected it to be shit. Wish it was R.

Dunno the WC1 storyline that well anymore, but it felt retconned (a few here said it was?), but that has been decades ago so my brain took it as correct. Lol
It was retconned a few different times to better mesh with the newer iterations of lore. To be fair, WC1 wasn't exactly robust as far as lore goes.