WarCraft (2016)

Chris

Potato del Grande
My choice of word was probably not the best. I trust you that the film's story does not match closely to the one of the games, but, correct me if I am wrong, it is faithful to the type of story the game tells, in the sense that it attempts to chronicle a war, so you have many places, many characters, many point of views, back stories for it all, etc. It can work in games, in literature, in TV shows even, but in a single movie, not so much. I mean the story is even less focused than in the Lord of the Ring, where you at least have the fellowship's clear trajectory. So when I saw Warcraft, I could not shake off the feeling that the story did not work and the characters had no room to exist, because it tried to shoehorn into a movie a type of story inadequate for the medium.
Each campaign in the games is pretty much from a single character's point of view with them moving on the plot themselves or reacting to things that happened off screen.

The movie should have been Lothar leading a desperate retreat and Khadgar investigating the origin of the orcs, so two points of view. They added a lot of unneeded filler, side stories and plots from future games around that which made the plot less clear, especially with Durotan.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If rats could talk-- it'd sound like Thai.

15 years ago I dubbed Thai a "rat-like" language, and said the people also act like rats, to the point that I wondered if there was some DNA relation. I explained that this put me off of their culture as a whole. I was called a white supremacist for my views.

Today we have consensus.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
If rats could talk-- it'd sound like Thai.

15 years ago I dubbed Thai a "rat-like" language, and said the people also act like rats, to the point that I wondered if there was some DNA relation.
This is a scientific fact. It's just that all mammals are cousins of rats.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
wait, what?
I knew someone would object to that but I stand by it. I've worked with quite a few Germans and really find the language pleasant to listen to. Its obviously very different than flowery languages like Spanish or Italian, but at the end of the day, a sentence spoken in German is a series of pleasant sounds that seem like human language.

Unlike Chinese. And yeah, theres lots of other asian languages that are equally terrible to listen to if a person wants to split hairs.

• 1Picard

Caliane

Each campaign in the games is pretty much from a single character's point of view with them moving on the plot themselves or reacting to things that happened off screen.

The movie should have been Lothar leading a desperate retreat and Khadgar investigating the origin of the orcs, so two points of view. They added a lot of unneeded filler, side stories and plots from future games around that which made the plot less clear, especially with Durotan.
thats actually a pretty solid argument. Warcraft plot/writing was never exactly good in the first place. And it only got worse as they added more and more dumb shit.
If they kept the movie simple and focused to the original plot as you say, it would have been much stronger. But instead nope, they add all that stupid shit from WoW, companion comics, etc.

• 1Like