WarCraft (2016)

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Play some Overwatch tonight.

Also, the only people praising this movie or giving it a shot, are Blizzard employees or Hollywood shill posters.

Tred, it isn't your mood. Trust me. You could win the lottery, turn this thing on, and forget you won the lottery and jump off a cliff in despair. As you saw.
rrr_img_135680.jpg

Column_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen those, but would you consider them among the best sci-fi has to offer? I don't wanna waste my time watching mediocre movies just because I've never heard of them.
I would say that it would be impossible for any of those films to be the best Sci Fi has to offer because you would of heard of them already.

I will say that these 3 films are worth a watch, and are cult classics. They're all decent films tho although dated obviously.

Boy and his Dog ( Harlan Ellison)

Colossus: The Forbin Project

Miracle Mile ( Don't read anything about this movie, and just download it, although it's probly hard to find now)

The other 5 on that list are

Darkstar ( Carpenters student film)

Silent Running ( Just a crazy movie all around about a botanist on a Space Station)

Final Countdown ( what if we could time travel a US carrier into the past)

Never Let me Go ( Recent movie about cloning)

Rock and Rule ( Animated movie in the vein of Heavy Metal, or Cool World)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Gotcha Gotcha.

Still confused on Khadar. Medivh had no idea who Khadar even was in the beginning of the movie. They mentioned him leaving the Kirin Tor, but I didn't recall the guardian training. But I digress if I missed something.

That's what it was! The black council ordered Garona to kill the king. I knew something was way off there. Matter of fact did they even mention the shadow council at all?

Man I REALLY wanted this to be a great movie. So much change and shit missing it was just...bad.

They really just chose the absolute wrong time frame to start these movies from. They really should have done the Arthas arc 1st.
Medivh made a few offhand comments about Khadgar and his power and how he wasnt guardian....yet.

And without the sacking of stormwind and any mention of the Shadow Council, Garona killing the king at the gate makes the most sense, She was conflicted and sad in the game and this leads to her same feelings and station within the Orcs.

As for Sargeras not being named, this movie had to be planned with sequels in mind. Medivh turns into a demon at the end and we had a Naaru in Dalaran. The movie had already introduced half a dozen orcs and another half dozen human characters and it could have named a lot more, adding another layer beyond that probably would have been too much.

I haven't played Warcraft in ages, but wasnt the game basically Orcs and Humans, the end? And doesn't it get retconned every time Blizzard references it? If they are planning a series, changing things around to make Lothar more important to the Orcs, leaving open who the Demons and the source of the Fel are, Making Gul'dan openly leading the orc with fear isntead of as a puppet master, etc feel like reasonable choices.

I wish the human scenes were better in general, but this was a pretty decent attempt at this movie I think, and I would be interested in seeing more

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I liked this movie more than X-men and Batman V Superman. i was a bit shocked, maybe becouse i had zero expecations and have forgotten all the lore they apparently retcon'd.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They've been reinventing the first two games' lore pretty much every expansion with WoW. It's almost like the original games in the early-mid 90s didn't have plans to be a multi-million subscription MMO or now a movie and weren't written with those possibilities in mind.

The original horde wasn't the "noble savage" trope that it evolved into; instead the dissident Orc factions were just that: dissident orc factions. Rexxar from War3 being brown was probably what inspired the color shift in original draenor orcs, with green being attached to fel. The brown skin being the pure orcs vs. green for the fel corrupted orcs occurred in TBC as a way to explain the difference visually, as I guess glowing red eyes and bloodlust wasn't enough hah.

The writers for the games and the movie all effectively have relied upon ye olde unreliable narrator in order to change things to better fit their current brand direction. Orcs were marauding invaders in War 1, and still mostly marauding invaders in war 2. The betrayal theme in War 3 required that the orcs no longer be the absolute bad guys (and they were aiming at a mmo where one side would be horde) and instead put in the scourge/burning legion as the bad guys. The series has simply evolved over time.

Still doesn't make Garona's makeup any less terribad, though. Those f'n teeth, man.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Reply to Brama:

Of course I am. From me reading the lore 10 years ago.

Doomhammer in wrong clan.Simplified for a movie? I noticed it but who really cares?

Wrong color for Orcs. this just got on my nerves.Brown is the orc original colour, added in WOW:TBC. Orcs turn green when exposed to fel magic too much. Some are still brown shows the audience the "good orcs" and they mostly die off in the movie.

Garona actually betrays King Llane if I remember correctly. He definately didn't ASK to be killed by her.Wasn't she mind controlled by Gul'dan? Since we are now following the Alliance campaign can't we accept a weaker horde and the alliance influencing her more?

They screwed up Khadgar/Medivh. Never once was he Medivh's apprentice in movie. Matter fact they made it seem that Medivh pretty much disliked him.Who cares? They mentioned him being a guardian/kirin tor apprentice.

Arthas laid siege to Dalaran. That can't happen if it's already floating.Frost Wyrms. They buffed it to create more spectacle for the first film, so what?

Like was said, Lothar doesn't kill Blackhand.Adds a more holywood ending, Doomhammer can kill an orc in the next movie.

Sargeras corrupted Medivh. Zero mention of this. We are to assume that fel has fucked him up.He turns into a fucking demon, a plot thread to resolve next movie with Tomb of Sargaras. Link me to Sargaras being mentioned by name in Warcraft 1.

Those are off the top of my head.

The big one to me was how they screwed up the whole Doomhammer/Blackhand/Lothar death

It's a load of nitpicks or small changes to make it understandable to a regular movie audience basically. It's not like the D&D or Super Mario movies where EVERYTHING was wrong. It's as faithful of an adaptation as they could get. I'm sure there's loads of nerds crying about small changes in the Harry Potter movies too.

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
The movie might not be a masterpiece, would give it a 8/10 myself (enjoyed the movie and all the fan service, the lore changes were probably made to make the movie more mainstream) but holy shit does Utnayan make this thread and big part of the movie sub-forum pure ass-cancer. I don't usually even participate in conversation but I'd hope you'd just take the Carradine route and find yourself in a closet. Sorry for the outburst.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Saw it with 6 people. My wife and I were the only WoW or Warcraft players. One guy even dislikes superhero movies. They all liked it. In fact they asked a ton of questions at dinner in an exciting manner. They want sequels. Ya there is hate in this thread. But filter out the people that dislike it because of lore issues and go talk to newbies and you get a different take.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Saw it with 6 people. My wife and I were the only WoW or Warcraft players. One guy even dislikes superhero movies. They all liked it. In fact they asked a ton of questions at dinner in an exciting manner. They want sequels. Ya there is hate in this thread. But filter out the people that dislike it because of lore issues and go talk to newbies and you get a different take.
They asked a ton of questions and you couldn't answer because the story was nothing like it was in the games?!?!?

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
No asshole It's because it doesn't matter! In the MCU do I have to explain every GD difference in origins, villians, major plot points to my friends? That's a big NO. My answer is to tell exactly what I knew and we fucking google'd what I didn't. And when we found something different did my friends give a flying fuck? Again another big NO. They oh ok and even discussed how some changes made it better in a movie setting and some would have been more intriguing if it stayed the same. But it didn't keep them from enjoying discussing a movie they were entertained with.

So this shit wasn't an exact carbon copy. Did this somehow invalidate your gaming experience for the past 15 years? Did it invalidate your childhood? Show me on the doll where Jones and Metzen touched you. Again, they didn't recreate your experience. Get the fuck over it. You shouldn't have watched it! There was enough info out there that you knew there were major changes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Jokes on you, I didn't watch it. There's still some feathers to ruffle yet in this here thread.

giphy.gif

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Watched it last night and I really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be pretty bad. The only thing I didn't like is how they skipped around a lot. If it were a series (that could handle that kind of budget) it would definitely be a lot better. It just seemed like a lot of the story was cramped and you miss out on a lot because of that. Other than that were some scenes being cramped throughout the movie, it was much better than I expected it to be. I don't watch a lot of movies more than once, but I will probably see this one again.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All questions will be answered next year when Blizzard launches World of "Warcraft: The Beginning" The MMO!

Chris

Potato del Grande
In the Fellowship of the Ring the book, Glorfindel rescues Frodo from Weathertop, but in the movie it's actually Arwen... fucking movie is NOTHING like the book /rage

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Surprisingly not a bad movie. Never played WC1 or 2 so not exactly up on that lore but

Would of made more sense if Gerona wasnt changed to be half orc/human. Like she can understand draeni but other orcs cant(you think gul'dan would be able to)? Id say she will probably be retconned further to be Medivh's daughter, seeing as he said he traveled to the other end of the world to find love among those vastly different from him.

Would of made more sense if Gul'Dan mentioned or was shown being corrupted by the burning legion
Other than that an okay movie, some questionable acting in parts. Orcs didnt look bad for being cgi. That makeup on Paula Patton didnt do her justice though.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Big P spoilz~
Originally Garona -was- half orc/half human. Then it was retconned during TBC that she was half orc/half draenei (the blue horned looking people who Gul'Dan killed to open the portal) and that is what is referenced in the movie, unless it ends up being a weird ass Medivh lovechild deal that wouldn't make sense in either lore idea hah. I think by showing Medivh succumbing to the Fel towards the latter half of the movie, and showing that Gul'Dan was using it willy nilly, sort of implies that there's something else corrupting people that isn't strictly Gul'dan related. But they definitely don't touch on it during the film so it ends up being this evil mysterious goo that just does shit, vs. an intentional invasion tactic of the Burning Legion.

Garona's makeup is by far the biggest "wtf" of the entire movie for me. Questionable casting choice for Lothar aside, and the obvious snipping that occurred during editing, as well as the obvious lore changes (that match WoW ingame changes, for the most part) aside, it wasn't bad at all. Not oscar worthy, but I don't feel like I wasted my 8.50 at all.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They confirmed a while ago that she is Human/Orc now and they clearly foreshadowed her being Medivh's daughter.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
This has an 8.8 user review average on Metacritic right now. I've mostly heard it described as "A movie made by fans for fans." Pretentious movie critics are supposed to hate something like this, so they do, and they get lots of clicks in the process.
Similarly:

lidsp99.png