WarCraft (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Didn't hate it, Lothar and Guldan were the best characters. Khadgar sucked balls. Story felt very rushed though.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah read that or a similar article, pretty much anything they cut is just not feasible to complete as the cgi wasn't done and they won't spend the money to finish it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
make tides of darkness two movies or... not enough content?

Cuz there's beyond the dark portal u kno?

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
They can do two movies with WC2 and beyond the dark portal. They need to resolve using the alliance ending to WC1 instead of the game canon horde ending though.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
make tides of darkness two movies or... not enough content?

Cuz there's beyond the dark portal u kno?

From what I read, they think it flopped because on a $160m budget it only made $420m box office, because apparently china money (where half the BO was made) doesn't count and don't want to make a sequel.

Someone fucking kill these guys.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched it for the first time. I'd give it a 6/10. It is not a great movie, but I have definitely seen worse. I am not sure how they managed to spend $160m making it. CGI is so run of the mill these days, it is not like they much much more than any other film.

The Bad: Too many characters, disjointed story, choppy transitions, totally unbelievable romances, and some cringy dialogue.
The Good: Solid CGI, felt like Azeroth, bad ass Orcs, the actors (for B-list) all did half-way decent jobs with the material they were given

In conclusion, I would like to see them give Duncan Jones get another shot at a sequel. I just hope he would skip to a better story, maybe skip right to WC3 and the Frozen Throne.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Two things killed this movie.

1. The casting was horrendous.
2. The script at time was just terribly weak.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Ironically, what hurt the movie the most was its attempts to appeal to WarCraft fans. As Fight stated above, they tried to pack too much into the debut film - dozens of characters, locations, sub-plots, etc. The movie was a mile wide and an inch deep. They had the right idea - focus in on a specific point in the WarCraft lore - but they didn't focus it enough.

As a fan, I really enjoyed this movie; as a movie-goer, this movie was quite mediocre. I did appreciate that they didn't take themselves too seriously, and were unapologetically quirky in some parts.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Eh, I think they just picked the worst movie to start off with. Why not go for the Arthas story instead? Just because there was a warcraft 1 and 2 prior to the 3rd doesn't mean you have to start there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The movie was enjoyable for me only as far as seeing the Warcraft universe brought to life which I think they did fairly well.

The movie was pretty awful otherwise.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Jesus this movie was terrible. One of the worst I've seen this year. I will say the scenes that were all CGI(basically all Orcs was good) and anything with the live actors in it was atrocious.

spronk

FPS noob
From what I read, they think it flopped because on a $160m budget it only made $420m box office, because apparently china money (where half the BO was made) doesn't count and don't want to make a sequel.

Someone fucking kill these guys.

they made a shit load of money, they sorta lucked out because the production company (legend entertainment) was bought by a chinese company last year. normally chinese box offices only make around 25% of the receipts back to the production, but because it was made by a chinese company essentially, who also happens to own a shit load of chinese theaters (PLUS AMC theaters in USA) they got to keep much more of it.

it will mean though that any sequels are aimed more at foreign markets, especially china, over usa

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
So apparently there 160 minute director's cut isn't ever going to be released.

Don't Expect to See Duncan Jones' Warcraft Director's Cut

which leaves me sorely disappointed, because another 37 minutes would have probably made the pacing a whole lot better

Pacing wasn't much of a problem tho. The casting was terrible, and the script was strained and cliche. Ultimately though, poor casting and bad performances (outside of the outstanding CGI and voice acting) was what made this film near unbearable.