Watches

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Shinola do make a good watch, I got one as a gift that I wear for casual stuff. It's really nice and as mentioned before, it gets compliments.

I used to be into high end watches, but I just don't care about name anymore. I just want something that looks nice and I can accessorize with whatever. I know Eomer had issues with a Fossil but I've been good with them for awhile and if the face gets dinged up, you can replace it for like $25 by sending it to them and it's a pretty quick turn around.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Quartz go as cheap as you want but i don't think you should cheap out on an automatic

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I've been quite happy with my quartz Fossil, actually. It's a nice looking watch, and it's very accurate as far as I can tell. The two Fossil automatics I had before it? Pieces of shit that were out by 10-20 seconds a day.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ordered a used omega speedmaster today, as an engineer I think it is the only fitting watch.
Truly an excellent watch. I just sold one and bought a Rolex explorer II last week. Threw it on a grey Nato strap and it looks good I think. I've been sorta buying and flipping "nice" watches for a few years and it's fun.... Reckon I'll try and snag an AP Royal Oak next if I can grab a good deal. Watchuseek forum is a great place to buy used watches

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shinola do make a good watch, I got one as a gift that I wear for casual stuff. It's really nice and as mentioned before, it gets compliments.

I used to be into high end watches, but I just don't care about name anymore. I just want something that looks nice and I can accessorize with whatever. I know Eomer had issues with a Fossil but I've been good with them for awhile and if the face gets dinged up, you can replace it for like $25 by sending it to them and it's a pretty quick turn around.
I've actually done some more research on Shinola and I've determined they're a bit scammy. The only parts made in USA are the straps. The time piece is imported from Switzerland. If you want an actual made in America watch you need to pay up for Weiss.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
So im really tired of shitty watches, i've had all manner of fossils, gshocks, and most recently a Garmin Fenix II for outdoor stuff but i can't wear anything with GPS/bluetooth/wifi into work. Im seriously eyeing the Tag Aquaracer (pic attached) i can pick it up for ~1700 from an official tag dealer. I really want an Omega Seamaster but my wife will not agree to the 6500 price on that one.
rrr_img_110039.jpg

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
So im really tired of shitty watches, i've had all manner of fossils, gshocks, and most recently a Garmin Fenix II for outdoor stuff but i can't wear anything with GPS/bluetooth/wifi into work. Im seriously eyeing the Tag Aquaracer (pic attached) i can pick it up for ~1700 from an official tag dealer. I really want an Omega Seamaster but my wife will not agree to the 6500 price on that one.
rrr_img_110039.jpg
Personally I am not a big fan of Tag Heuer. Most of what you are paying for is advertising costs, like tiger woods flashing a shit eating grin on a poster. This Tag I believe uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, the most common and widespread swatch movement on the planet, which costs about 250 USD.

If you are looking for a nice looking durable dive watch in that style, I like the orient mako. It uses a proprietary movement, and costs less than 150 USD. its not as precise as the ETA, but its great value imo.

rrr_img_110064.jpg

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I've been quite happy with my quartz Fossil, actually. It's a nice looking watch, and it's very accurate as far as I can tell. The two Fossil automatics I had before it? Pieces of shit that were out by 10-20 seconds a day.
The wife got me a Fossil for our wedding four years ago. I had been looking around for a watch endlessly before that, never wore one for years... surrounded by clocks, a watch is only jewelry at this point. I wear it on special occasions (i.e. going out) and then it goes right back into the box.

I could never get myself to spend anything over 100 or maybe 200 bucks on a watch. But then I'm somewhat poor, I guess.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
god damnit, after trying it on and seeing it in person that James Bond Aqua Terra may be the one =x

Anyone ever buy from jomashop.com? there are a few sites saying they are reputable (reddit) but are not an authorized retailer so they dont come with a factory warranty.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Whats fundamentally better about these expensive watches over say, a 400-500 dollar citizen or other watch? Are these purely Veblen/style goods? I see guys wearing these all the time and unless you look closely you can't even tell. I don't get it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it's a good way to subtly communicate success. Some people will notice, maybe most wont, but I think it's a good way to stand out and it makes a decent collectible or heirloom item too. I wouldn't want to hand down a citizen.

Also, i don't know what veblen means.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea its mostly a fashion thing, i dont wear jewelry other than my wedding ring and unless you're a collector one watch will last you a lifetime with proper maintenance.

Picasso, i'll check that site out. Thanks!

Tenks

Whats fundamentally better about these expensive watches over say, a 400-500 dollar citizen or other watch? Are these purely Veblen/style goods? I see guys wearing these all the time and unless you look closely you can't even tell. I don't get it.
It is for when you step out of your overpriced luxury vehicle you can still convey to people you blow your money on things to try and impress others with your money

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yes, veblen.
Veblen goods are basically items that are only popular because they're expensive, and are used to flaunt material wealth.

Veblen good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carried to an absurdity, it can be applied to damn near anything. "Ooooh, you bought name brand rice instead of the store brand generic? Look how fancy you are!"

Just like Tenks can justify $300 jeans while turning his nose up at expensive cars or watches, I'm sure that people who have fancy expensive watches can justify their cost as well while thinking that Tenks is a jackass for not washing his jeans for a year while he breaks them in, or whatever the fuck you do with raw denim.

Tenks

But my jeans are purposefully unflashy. The better analog would be do I buy expensive and gaudy True Religion pants just to show off to everyone I paid $150 for my jeans and the answer is no I do not.