Weight Loss Thread

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I must say, so far, this quarter is treating me well. I am back to the gym almost at full steam. I am still working myself back into the full schedule so I do not injure myself again. I definitely agitate my rib a bit depending on the work out. So far, it hasn't been enough to be worried about. Very mild soreness, as compared to nothing in my other side. I imagine a few more works and it will be all done.

Now for the interesting part of this quarter. I am fully prepared to be ridiculed for this, but having dual income / no kids allows me to buy potentially stupid crap and try it out.

This quarter, I am trying out Testosterone boosters and a 'Mitochondria Hacking' product from BulletProofExec. I take AD3-PCT before bed, D-POL around an hour before I work out, and Unfair Advantage in the morning and before I work out.

The downside is I did not get my Testosterone levels tested before this started, so the only real numbers I have to work with are my weight and BF%.

The upside is, either these things are actually helping, or my weight loss is accelerating as I get lower in weight, which makes no sense.

Last quarter, I was very consistent at 1.25 - 1.5 lbs/week of weight loss. So far, for this quarter, once I was back at the gym (3 weeks), I have hit 2 lbs/week loss. This is without changing my macros or calorie intake (1900/day +/- 100). Outside of a parasite, I am not sure how to explain the change. I am just going to keep monitoring for the quarter and see if it holds.

If I can maintain this rate through the holiday season (ugh), I am going to blow away my Q4 goal and should be able to hit 160 sometime in December. As of this morning I was 169.4.

D-POL
AD3-PCT
BulletProof Unfair Advantage

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What's the point of doing that other than "I have the money"? You're under 170lbs without any stupid bullshit "supplements". Why are you going after it now?

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
What's the point of doing that other than "I have the money"? You're under 170lbs without any stupid bullshit "supplements". Why are you going after it now?
Mainly curiosity, testing things out randomly is kind of fun for me.

Also, partly a mental issue for me. Around 15 years ago when I was a young lad, I hit a really large plateau for my weight at 167 lbs. No matter what I did, I could not get under that weight. This process makes me feel like I am stacking the deck in my favor and gives some additional confidence, even if it doesn't do anything. No matter how much weight I lose, it is tough not thinking of myself as a fatty at heart, years of conditioning.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
How come you're still eating so few carbs? Have you tried increasing that number by 5g every week until you break out of ketosis, then stepping back 5g the next week to remain in it but at a more reasonable carb level for long term? Also, staying in ketosis for 2 years straight doesn't seem necessary.
He blames carbs for his spiral up to landwhale status and doesn't trust himself around it. It's a shit plan/diet for overall health but, in comparison to being 400+lbs, it's not too bad.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Really? You're taking large amounts of stimulants and curious why your weight loss increased? Caffeine pills are cheaper.

Anyway /livejournal on

I'm down to 185 now (245 max), 5'8" Despite being MOSTLY on a sustained cut for 3 months, I have had more than a few cheat days, although was very strict the last 2 weeks. I actually see my gut subsiding for the first time in my entire weight loss, my torso looks a lot longer when it isn't bulging out at the sides. Feels good. I can actually tell where my abs are poking out through the fat (it actually pretty much is following my stomach/chest hair pattern). Still not what I'd call defined abs, but just going by appearances I'm definitely below 20% bodyfat now. My lifts have still been increasing (my arms have not lost any size in the last 15lbs of weight loss), so I'm not complaining.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Really? You're taking large amounts of stimulants and curious why your weight loss increased? Caffeine pills are cheaper.

Anyway /livejournal on

I'm down to 185 now (245 max), 5'8" Despite being MOSTLY on a sustained cut for 3 months, I have had more than a few cheat days, although was very strict the last 2 weeks. I actually see my gut subsiding for the first time in my entire weight loss, my torso looks a lot longer when it isn't bulging out at the sides. Feels good. I can actually tell where my abs are poking out through the fat (it actually pretty much is following my stomach/chest hair pattern). Still not what I'd call defined abs, but just going by appearances I'm definitely below 20% bodyfat now. My lifts have still been increasing (my arms have not lost any size in the last 15lbs of weight loss), so I'm not complaining.
Grats man. Long cut. I originally wanted to cut down to 6'1 185 but got tired of feeling like shit after squats so I decided to postpone the cut until after I'm squatting 3 plates for reps. Mind if I ask what your lifts are at?

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
He blames carbs for his spiral up to landwhale status and doesn't trust himself around it. It's a shit plan/diet for overall health but, in comparison to being 400+lbs, it's not too bad.
I trust myself around carbs. I don't eat them. They hold no appeal to me.

Carbs make me fat, I don't eat carbs, I'm no longer obese. I've been eating this way so long I prefer it.

Sucks about the kidney stones. Rather die thin than live fat.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Grats man. Long cut. I originally wanted to cut down to 6'1 185 but got tired of feeling like shit after squats so I decided to postpone the cut until after I'm squatting 3 plates for reps. Mind if I ask what your lifts are at?
Started this latest round of weight loss at 200 when I broke up with my ex at the end of the summer. I use dumbbells at home, I'm currently doing 4x10x80 OHP 4x10x80 Curls and 4x10x80 squats every other day, and then on the alternating days I'll do the same pattern with deadlift/chest flys/benchpress/weight added situps (1 40lb dumbell near my neck). Somedays I'll skip so that I'm probably only working each muscle group a max of 3 times a week.

I'm sure it's not anywhere close to optimal, or if I'm going to screw up my body's aesthetics (it seems to be doing good so far, but my biceps are definitely progressing/looking better than my chest/abs, but I've been progressing, in July I could only curl that much with 20s, now I'm at 40s

And I can now do 50 pushups (standard military proper form) at once while rested, I was barely able to do 30 before.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I trust myself around carbs. I don't eat them. They hold no appeal to me.

Carbs make me fat, I don't eat carbs, I'm no longer obese. I've been eating this way so long I prefer it.

Sucks about the kidney stones. Rather die thin than live fat.
the ranting of a madman

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am also going to be starting that next week, finishing out current routine this week. Thanks for the links Antarius.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Started this latest round of weight loss at 200 when I broke up with my ex at the end of the summer. I use dumbbells at home, I'm currently doing 4x10x80 OHP 4x10x80 Curls and 4x10x80 squats every other day, and then on the alternating days I'll do the same pattern with deadlift/chest flys/benchpress/weight added situps (1 40lb dumbell near my neck). Somedays I'll skip so that I'm probably only working each muscle group a max of 3 times a week.

I'm sure it's not anywhere close to optimal, or if I'm going to screw up my body's aesthetics (it seems to be doing good so far, but my biceps are definitely progressing/looking better than my chest/abs, but I've been progressing, in July I could only curl that much with 20s, now I'm at 40s

And I can now do 50 pushups (standard military proper form) at once while rested, I was barely able to do 30 before.
Are you just doing 80lb squats because you lack a squat rack our something? That seems incredibly low unless you have some injury.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
I read most of that site. Starting the intermediate to advanced workout of Upper Body Monday and Thursday, Lower Body Tuesday and Friday. I will let y'all know what I think of it. Day 1 feels good.
might wanna checkNovice Routine - Bodybuilding.com Forumsout as its a bit more balanced especially the workout B. Thread also has some substitute exercises ideas which helped me cause idk wtf im doing unless its explained to me like a 5 year old child

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are you just doing 80lb squats because you lack a squat rack our something? That seems incredibly low unless you have some injury.
I only squat 80 lbs because I only have 40lb dumbbells. My legs are still pretty big just from the weight loss, so I'm not too concerned with looking ill-proportioned in that way (yet)

In retrospect, I definitely should have just bought adjustable dumbbells instead of buying a 5-25lb set on clearance and then buying new weights every time I've maxed out. Because next I'll be looking at 45s and eventually 50s and both are rather expensive.

rrr_img_80541.jpg

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I only squat 80 lbs because I only have 40lb dumbbells. My legs are still pretty big just from the weight loss, so I'm not too concerned with looking ill-proportioned in that way (yet)

In retrospect, I definitely should have just bought adjustable dumbbells instead of buying a 5-25lb set on clearance and then buying new weights every time I've maxed out. Because next I'll be looking at 45s and eventually 50s and both are rather expensive.
I'm sure you're all over it but, you've read about how high-protein (1g/1lb bw or higher) have muscle sparing effects while losing weight? It'd be a shame to lose more LBM than necessary. Also, have you tried checking craigslist or other things for used weightlifting equipment? It seems pretty easy to catch people throwing really expensive shit up for firesale. It cracks me up thinking of weak little men spending $1000 on a great new weight set and then giving up and selling it because picking up heavy things proved to be too difficult. Also, its just easier to sell than to move them long distances, haha.

cleveland for sale - craigslist

There are a few candidates here that look promising. Contingent upon how much room you have, you want a bench and power rack, and then at least four 45s and some little plates.

EDIT: I didn't bother doing any comparison shopping, but something likeolympic weightswould last you a while. Unless you're Khane, then you'd be benching it for reps in like 5 weeks but never bother to film it.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't have room for a bench or squat rack in my tiny place. Hence the reason I'm using dumbbells in the first place. I'm positive I don't always get an entire 1g/lb of protein, but I know I (almost) always eat over 100g.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I don't have room for a bench or squat rack in my tiny place. Hence the reason I'm using dumbbells in the first place.
Try searching Cleveland and surrounding area for "dumbbell". Looks like a bunch of really affordable selections of higher weights. Although honestly man, I think you're neglecting the benefit of heavy squats and deadlifts. They're not just for your legs, its for your entire body -- and an 80lb goblet squat is nothing to your tree trunks at this point. I would suggest digging around or consulting people that you know and see about a gym membership...

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I live near a (about 10 minute drive) college that offers access to their gym for 375 a year... (50 a month if paid monthly) (also evidently our parks district has a small fitness area but that's 264 a year and looks like they only have machines and no freeweights at all from the pictures on their website) I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile. The next closest gym to me is a 15 minute drive away (anytime fitness so at least they're 24x7 unlike the other 2 options which are basically daylight hours only and at least they have actual weights in addition to machines and tanning), but the major reason I started working out at home was I hated driving 30 minutes just to do 30 minutes of exercise.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
but the major reason I started working out at home was I hated driving 30 minutes just to do 30 minutes of exercise.
This should change when you start lifting more than my wife does. You'll need a longer rest period. I do SL and its probably the most concise workout ever (just 3 compounds) and it still takes about an hour.