Weight Loss Thread

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
In regards to protein powders, does anyone know if they make any flavors that aren't vanilla or chocolate? I'd kill for a fruit punch or something.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're all over the place, depending on needs/type of protein/etc.

Strawberry is going to be the next "big" flavor for standard protein/mass gainers in general. You'll get some other flavors with the -much- less effective soy based protein deals, such as vegetables and other fruits and shit. But yeah, for the big boy gainers, it's Neapolitan ice cream or bust for the most part. I'd recommend adding stuff yourself to the shakes (you know, healthy things) and see where that gets you flavor wise. But fruit punch and something like whey based protein? Your mileage may vary, but I would imagine that would be an absolutely horrible taste.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In regards to protein powders, does anyone know if they make any flavors that aren't vanilla or chocolate? I'd kill for a fruit punch or something.
what, you can get virtually any flavour.

I use myprotein.co.uk, not sure if they have a US operation. Every flavour imaginable, my favourite being banoffee pie

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
what, you can get virtually any flavour.

I use myprotein.co.uk, not sure if they have a US operation. Every flavour imaginable, my favourite being banoffee pie
Also use Myprotein. They do have a US shop. Working my way through all of the flavors now. They also have flavor drops which are good so far. I started using them in my coffee. The banana drops are my favorite so far.

They are also the Old Navy of protein so they have sales all the time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
wasted career.. could have been a boxer
I wanted to train Thai boxing when I was around 18-19 but never got around to it. I think I would have been pretty decent but the problem was my "walking" weight was 145 and I probably couldn't cut too much lower to get a favorable weight class. So if I actually trained I'd need to fix something about my body or I'd be fighting people walking 10 pounds heavier than me. And technically I really wanted to do MMA but my flexibility is completely nil. Never has been good and never will be good. I've tried and failed.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, I'm looking for advise from folks here in regards to starting on my weight loss.

I am 33 years old, 5"8' and 225lbs currently. I am currently waiting for results on my kidney stone types to see if I have to make any diet changes.

But, I'm looking at where and what to start with to get into shape. I have not worked out in any serious capacity since maybe high school and I've realized that I need to get myself into shape.

I've been looking at sites likeBeginner's Health and Fitness GuideandThe Best Diet Plan, which has a lot of good information for someone like me.

But I'm trying to figure out where to start. I have a gym at the apartment complex, but it only has a few treadmill/stairmaster machines, a bunch of weight machines and a few set weight dumbells. (no barbells
frown.png
)
There is a 24 hour gym nearby that has more of a selection and also a lot more free weights, but I don't know how much a membership will cost yet, checking into it. I'm trying to find a place that has more free weights since that is what I see recommended, compared to weight machines.

i guess my question would be, should I just start with some cardio for a few weeks to get myself going and get that started then work some weight lifting days in as well? I just don't want to hurt myself by trying too much at once.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Start with diet. Get yourself eating 4-500 calories under whatever your maintenance weight is. If you haven't lifted before, you may want to just check out "Starting Strength" and go from there. But your diet is going to be 90%+ of your weightloss, especially where you are starting from.

There's no reason to start with cardio if you can physically lift weights. The people in this thread who do walking/jogging vs. lifting are either doing it because they have legit medical issues that prevent them from lifting, or are consciously doing it in place of lifting as a personal choice. I'd recommend doing splits on lifting because the DOMS (super soreness for new lifters that is debilitating) is going to be quite strong if you haven't worked out in 15 years, and it can f up your motivation. Even if your gym doesn't have barbells, if they have benches and smith machines or stuff that could stand in for them, you will be fine in newbieland. If you keep with it (and that will be the hard part) after a few months of consistent diet and consistent workouts, I would look into getting a membership at a 24 hour fitness to use their more varied equipment then your apartment's setup. Ie, actual bench press setups, squat racks, etc.

But for now, I'd say just commit time to making sure your diet is where it needs to be, and try to hit the gym 3 times a week for 45m-1h doing whatever. Starting strength is a good start; just using treadmills/whatever is better than nothing if that's all you can handle. Even if you aren't doing the absolute optimal lifts each time you are there, keep at it and watch youtube videos regarding form and technique on new lifts, and incorporate as you go. But diet is going to be the big thing for weightloss, no matter how good you are/aren't at working out.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I kinda think starting strength is crap because most people work out for aesthetics and SS or SL 5x5 is just going to give most fat guys back pain as they shoot for numbers. IMO squats and deadlifts with heavy weights are just killer on your back, say what you want but I want to grow old without back pain.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was just trying not to have to type out a routine =/

My personal recommendation would be akin to supersets and german volume training. In between powerlifting training and cardio with weights. I lift alone, so going super-heavy is just asking to wind up as a statistic.

Though I do really like squats/deadlifts for general strength/weightloss, as they work some really long muscles in the legs and require a shitload of energy, compared to most other lifts. I just wouldn't do them super heavy, and instead focus on repetition and form for solo usage.

Alright, since I'm already typing =/
Day1: benchpress whatever weight you can lift 8x in a row without dropping it on yourself. Repeat 3x. When you get to that last lift in set 3, you should feel like you might have trouble getting the theoretical next one up. Drop the weight a bit and repeat again, with the same goal in mind.
Military press (or overhead press, or whatever you want to call it) using the same concept for 8x (not going to keep saying this metric) and repeat 3x (again, assume I am always using this) and do the same thing. Drop some weight off and repeat.
Tricep extensions.

Day 2: Squats
Deadlift (if not available, skip!)
Leg extensions
Calf raises

Day 3: Lawnmowers
Pullups
Curls (why not, newbie mode is newbie mode)
Lat raises

Do those with a day of "rest" in between, and end every workout by holding a plank for as long as you can (google it) and oblique planks on each side for as long as you can (again, google)

It's dirty, it doesn't take a lot of things into account, but if you do it with medium weight you'll make easy gains with low risk to your body's health.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I kinda think starting strength is crap because most people work out for aesthetics and SS or SL 5x5 is just going to give most fat guys back pain as they shoot for numbers. IMO squats and deadlifts with heavy weights are just killer on your back, say what you want but I want to grow old without back pain.
It's a beginner program to teach people how to do the fundamental compound lifts while building core strength, flexibility, etc etc... Dood's 33, not old. Smart people do SL for a few months and learn how to actually lift then find something more in-line with their goals. A standard bro split looks like a foreign language to a beginner and god knows they'll fuck up 90 percent of the routine.

That being said, I'd tell any fat 33 yr old to do a month of just plain stretching + calisthenics (pushups, planks, bodyweight squats...) before lifting. Prob lose 10-15lbs in that time period too if diet is locked on.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the vast majority of people (lifters or not) would benefit heavily from doing some bodyweight burnout type stuff in their routine. I know planks are some hippy bullshit to most people, but being able to hold one for a period of time takes considerable core strength. Totally worthwhile to add to any workout that doesn't already incorporate them. I lift 3x a week using a similar routine to the one I posted, and I end every day with planks/oblique planks. I can easily hold 5 minutes on a standard plank, and 1.5m on either side. It sets up a nice base for other lifts, and I "feel" like I get more out of other lifting exercises since my core is solid.

Not to mention that I sweat like a fiend doing those lifts. I know planking is not a major calorie burner, but out of everything I do I can definitely tell my core exercises are still felt long after the workout is over.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most beginner programs look like shit from an outside view. But basically you just want the trainee to learn the six fundamental movements, and SL does a decent job of that. Don't worry about your numbers, focus on your mobility and movement patterns. Should you start Magi, feel free to PM me any questions or form check videos.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
I am 33 years old, 5"8' and 225lbs currently. I am currently waiting for results on my kidney stone types to see if I have to make any diet changes.
This is like exactly where I started from a lifetime of not doing shit. Find a gym you can do SL 5x5 or SS, start with low weight, and foam roll 3-5 times a week. And you dont have to wait for kidney results you have to change your diet

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I agree with Rezz that the first thing you have to do is get your diet under control. This will be the primary variable that will determine your success. So, first that means understanding what your caloric target should be. I used Total Metabolism Forecaster for this and it seems to have been fairly accurate. There are lots of other tools out there. Once you know your targets, the next thing to do that is to start logging intake until you have a better understanding of what you are putting into your body. A lot of people like MyFitnessPal. I just use a spreadsheet. I would say try to stay clean, low-carb, high-protein, plenty of veggies about 90% of the time. I allow a couple of cheats per week where I might go out for a cheeseburger and a few beers with the wife or we might cook something like braised ribs on the weekend.

This, combined with moderate weightlifting has been working for me. I do a mashup of StrongLifts, combined with some other core and full-body exercises 4 times per week. Lately I have been mixing in a couple of sled push sessions, in fact, replacing one whole day of lifting with just sleds to help burn fat. Sleds are brutal but HIIT seems to be pretty popular right now.

Good luck.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah don't wait for kidney stone results, you already know you need to change your diet. Having kidney stones in the first place is evidence of that.

Don't worry about doing "too much at once." Worry about going 30 minutes every day and go from there.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So, I'm looking for advise from folks here in regards to starting on my weight loss.

But, I'm looking at where and what to start with to get into shape. I have not worked out in any serious capacity since maybe high school and I've realized that I need to get myself into shape.

I've been looking at sites likeBeginner's Health and Fitness GuideandThe Best Diet Plan, which has a lot of good information for someone like me.

But I'm trying to figure out where to start. I have a gym at the apartment complex, but it only has a few treadmill/stairmaster machines, a bunch of weight machines and a few set weight dumbells. (no barbells
frown.png
)
There is a 24 hour gym nearby that has more of a selection and also a lot more free weights, but I don't know how much a membership will cost yet, checking into it. I'm trying to find a place that has more free weights since that is what I see recommended, compared to weight machines.

i guess my question would be, should I just start with some cardio for a few weeks to get myself going and get that started then work some weight lifting days in as well? I just don't want to hurt myself by trying too much at once.
4 weeks of HIIT to build fitness, lose weight and start building good habits. Then add in a simple weights program after 4 weeks with HIIT. If you want help then I am always happy to go into more detail with a specific program.