Weight Loss Thread

Sloshed

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've recently started lifting weights again to help try and lose some weight instead of the usual cardio. I'm into week 4 and have only dropped 5 lbs of scale weight. Realistically how much muscle could I have added in 25 days or so? With cardio I can usually drop 3 lbs a week.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I've recently started lifting weights again to help try and lose some weight instead of the usual cardio. I'm into week 4 and have only dropped 5 lbs of scale weight. Realistically how much muscle could I have added in 25 days or so? With cardio I can usually drop 3 lbs a week.
I don't know if "beginner gains" are higher, but 1 lb per week is widely accepted as the ceiling for lean mass gains. When I say ceiling, I mean just that - absolute maximum. A much more realistic number is .25-.5 lbs per week.

Edit: 1 oz per day (or 23 lbs per year) is the absolute maximum for natural (i.e. non-steroid use) muscle gain.

Last edited:

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if "beginner gains" are higher, but .5 lbs per week is widely accepted as the ceiling for lean mass gains.

I think you mean per month. Nobody is gaining 25lbs of muscle per year even on the best roids available

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Don't go by the scale. The best way to judge progress is how your clothes fit - are they feeling looser, and how you look in the mirror.

Take a photo, ideally in a room with consistent lighting, and take another one every week. Far better indicator of progress than the scale.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think you mean per month. Nobody is gaining 25lbs of muscle per year even on the best roids available
After a little more quick googling, it looks like 1 oz per day (23 lbs per year) is the absolute max for someone not taking steroids. So yeah, don't plan on gaining .25 lbs per week...

How Much Muscle Can You Gain?

The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences (located in San Diego, Calif.) run by Dr Michael Colgan PH.D., a leading sport nutritionist explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day."

In non-complicated, mathematical terms, this would equate to roughly 23 pounds in a year! Keep in mind that high-level athletes are the subjects of these studies.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So if you are on the fat end of the spectrum it is entirely possible to sustain yourself on your bodyfat alone, so the PSMF does work for you - for now. But once you lose a lot of it you can't get enough energy out of your bodyfat and you'll go into starvation mode and will lose muscle.

My advice: use a caliper or a bodyscan scale to get a rough estimate your bodyfat percentage (yes, they suck, but a rough estimate is better than none), calculcate how many pounds of bodyfat your body carries around and calculate what your maximum possible daily deficit is. Good luck.
This is exactly what my doctor has told me, which is why this diet will change once I hit 32 BMI, it will still be low carb and low calorie, but it won't be what I've been doing. I should be around 1200-1400 cal then instead of the 800-1000 I am now. Any recommendations on a scale? The really good one they use when I weigh in is a Tanita, but I am not sure how reasonable it is for home use.

Then your apprehension is very well warranted.

One thing I've learned that is pretty damn tasty to be honest is to steam cauliflower very much (3-5 minutes over normal steaming time) then blend it in a blender or ninja kind of thing. Throw spices in it, then spray it with something like i cant believe its not butter or something similar. salt it nicely, and boom its like mashed potatoes.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I know it's mostly water but I'm down 6 lbs in 5 days on keto, and I've been over 1500 calories 4 of the 5 days. I also drink a metric fuckton of water so I dunno. 360s are coming up fast.

Also started doing an avocado a day and the digestion process has improved immensely.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I should be around 1200-1400 cal then instead of the 800-1000 I am now..
Aladain, please read the below post, please pay attention to the bolded and underlined parts.

Then read it again, and again, and again, until it's digested.

Then re-consider your diet.

I'm editing this because I think it needs further clarification.

He was almost 600lbs and lost over half his body weight BY NOT counting calories.

At 230lbs he lost the last 10lbs by EATING 3000 calories a day.

If that doesn't tell you that you don't need to be literally starving yourself to lose weight then I don't know what will

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
At least for me the key to losing weight was to find a few meals that taste good and are low calorie, and to stick to a cycle of these foods until you lose the weight. The 2nd key was to make sure your house ONLY has these foods stocked, and that your fridge/pantry has nothing stocked that you can cheat with.

This is key. Just don't buy the shit, don't have it in the house. I know, easier said than done.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I know it's mostly water but I'm down 6 lbs in 5 days on keto, and I've been over 1500 calories 4 of the 5 days. I also drink a metric fuckton of water so I dunno. 360s are coming up fast.

Also started doing an avocado a day and the digestion process has improved immensely.

That "water weight" shit never made sense to me. I drank way more water after starting keto than before. I guess it's rtention from not eating processed bullshit anymore so your sodium intake drops? idk, i'm sure it's real, it just soudns like bs.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Also, avocados are bullshit. The fat + fiber is awesome but it tastes like garbage. I can't find anything comparable though.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
He was almost 600lbs and lost over half his body weight BY NOT counting calories.

At 230lbs he lost the last 10lbs by EATING 3000 calories a day.

If that doesn't tell you that you don't need to be literally starving yourself to lose weight then I don't know what will
Second time now, I don't count calories. No idea where that even came from. ONE day I posted what I ate for that day which worked out to around ~800-1000 calories or so (I don't do stupid shit like weigh my foods so I dont know EXACTLY what was consumed) and said this is usually around what i eat. You instantly assumed that I'm scrutinizing my food labels and counting every single calorie. I've not done that, at all, other than for that one post simply to be as clear as I can with what i ate for the day. And btw, "protein potatoes" are dried potatoes mixed with whey protein steamed grated cauliflower and water. That's all. Also, funny that someone mentioned they didn't eat carrots on their low carb diet because "they contain too much sugar", and you ignored them and have constantly attacked me for saying to not overeat tomatos while on a low-carb diet, and tomatoes have about the same sugar as carrots.

Also notice, he said he was not counting calories, but eating "primarily leafy greens" from 580 to 260. How many calories, if you had to guess, was he intaking while losing weight from 580 to 260? If he ate 5 pounds of "leafy greens" in a day that's about 1000 calories depending on the green (spinach, for example would need to be about 10 pounds).

Also, avocados are bullshit. The fat + fiber is awesome but it tastes like garbage. I can't find anything comparable though.
Make guacamole! Avocados are delicious.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's really not that difficult, though. One of my staple dinners is 1.3 pounds of ground turkey, a vidalia onion, and a green pepper tossed in a pan till cooked. I don't even use any oil, and that's nearly 1k calories for a single meal of nothing but "healthy" food. Portion size is just as important as the kind of food you eat.

You eat 1.3lbs of turkey in one sitting??

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dude, are you trying to weigh yourself or 2 micrograms of palladium chloride for your analytical chemistry class? Any decent electronic scale is more than accurate for measuring human weight, not to mention they have features like fat analysis, as well as storing your progress over time..

Doctor's offices use balance scales because they don't use batteries, and they go up to landwhale weights which most electronic scales cannot.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That "water weight" shit never made sense to me. I drank way more water after starting keto than before. I guess it's rtention from not eating processed bullshit anymore so your sodium intake drops? idk, i'm sure it's real, it just soudns like bs.

Water weight is definitely real. Carbs get converted to glycogen and glycogen holds onto water molecules. Think of carbs like a sponge, you eat carbs and they soak up water. You stop eating carbs and the sponge gets squeezed out. You reintroduce carbs and they soak up more water.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Second time now, I don't count calories..

ORLY?

I'm intaking around 1100-1300 calories per day.
I'm eating about 150 calories in the AM, 200-250 or so at lunch (including a massive vegetable intake), about 600-800 at dinner (huge shot of protein - fish, lean meat, etc, 8oz along with vegetables). I eat a snack about 2-3 hours before I go to bed that is about 150 cal or so.

8. I have a protein shake for breakfast, a small lunch, usually a chicken soup made with a thick broth (no flour, though!) and chicken pieces and I pour it over a bed of veggies. For dinner, I get raw protein, like a lean steak over veggies, or cauliflour rice, etc. 2-3 hours before bed, a small snack (like a atkins bar). That's ALL. Don't eat more if you can help it. You should be no more than 1,400 calories MAX for the day.

And those are just your posts from July.

Kinda funny to read back those old posts - multiple people were telling you to eat more before I started. You only got my attention by giving out the shitty advice in the last quote.