Weight Loss Thread

Caliane

I don't know how you'd cycle with an achilles problem. You're pretty much pushing on the balls of your feet and flexing your achilles the entire time you're pushing.
impact vs use I would suspect. That said, swimming doesn't impact either. So, that might just be, don't go swimming while injured so you don't drown.

My knee has been hurting.
looked up causes, and I don't think its "runners knee". I think its tendonitis.
7 Best Exercises to Rehab Patellar Tendinitis - BuiltLean
It started up suddenly, out of the blue, after I reduced my running from the 5-7miles/day to the 3-4. But, in doing so, I started doing sprints and real hard running. the last quarter mile is a downhill.
The pain also occurs after the run, during the cooldown walk. so, the problem is not running per say, its the sprinting downhill. The impact on the knee is causing pain.
cycling is ok. Stretching/squats/lunges the remedy.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I know Ossoi is a hard charger and seems to delight in presenting his thoughts in the most off-putting way possible, but I agree that you're not doing yourself any favors by working out every day (unless you're throwing around pink dumbbells for a few sets of 10 and calling that working out).

I will help anyone in this thread that asks and my first posts to anyone are always polite. It's just frustrating when people don't listen and then keep posting about their lack of progress.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need to get back on the Ossoi plan, he's very helpful if you listen

• 1Like

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The keto diet is very different from what I was doing, which is variety, and I'm not eating processed garbage anymore. I fail to see how working out every day is bad, I'm just getting more active. My job is sedentary, I sit there staring at 4 computer screens yelling in the phone all day. Some people do manual labor for a living and somehow they survive and even develop great physiques because of it. Eventually I hope to be doing some sort of martial art, some sort of stretching/flexiblity training(yoga maybe), and still lifting 4x a week. My main problem right now is I find all cardio hugely monotonous, so figuring out something aerobic I don't hate is a priority. Right now I'm comfortable with this, as I lose more weight and other options open up it won't be the same monotonous thing it is now, but why mess with what's working? I feel better, I'm getting stronger, what is more exercise going to hurt? I am never letting myself get out of shape again, and I look forward to actually being able to be active all the time. Why not get started now? There's a work league basketball team with my name on it next spring, but for now I enjoy the simplicity of lifting.

I'm not psychotic, I just do what I feel like doing. I still wake up at 6 AM with energy blasting out of my skull every morning, I have no fatigue and very little soreness. Why not listen to my body? I'm not the kind of person who wastes motivation when I have it.

Dandai Dandai I do 5x5 150lb bench, 5x5 body weight squats, and probably 5x15 25lb dumbell rows, curls, and shoulder presses(I do these while I'm sitting at my pc or watching sports). I deadlift and do leg presses about once a week per. Aside from push mowing my fucking lawn and wandering around downtown Thursday night I haven't done cardio in a week because I hate the recumbent and I hate walking pointlessly.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why even post about your slow progress if you're just gonna reply to my advice with "well I like what I'm doing.

The keto diet is very different from what I was doing, which is variety, and I'm not eating processed garbage anymore. .

So you went from a shit uncontrolled diet to a keto diet, instead of going to a controlled, cleaner diet that included some carbs. It's basically skipping a step, you can lose weight without cutting carbs. This isn't an anti-keto comment, it's the fact that you are trying to maximise your rate of weight loss by trying to do as many things as possible, when you're actually hindering your efforts

I fail to see how working out every day is bad, I'm just getting more active. My job is sedentary, I sit there staring at 4 computer screens yelling in the phone all day.

When I have said multiple times "you work out too much", did I ever say anything about work related activity. I have a desk job, I weigh less than you which means my TDEE is lower, I work out 4 x 60minutes a week and I lose weight on 2200 calories

My main problem right now is I find all cardio hugely monotonous,

I tell everyone in this thread to start doing HIIT for 15-20minutes. I have posted videos of beginner HIIT workouts and told people how to do it on treadmills or other cardio machines.

Short burts of higher activity are better than 60minutes boring ass cardio.

what is more exercise going to hurt?

You need rest days. I shouldn't need to explain why.

I do 5x5 150lb bench, 5x5 body weight squats, and probably 5x15 25lb dumbell rows, curls, and shoulder presses(I do these while I'm sitting at my pc or watching sports).

Why aren't you increasing the weights?

Why aren't you increasing the number of reps?

A beginner to weightlifting can burn muscle and lose fat simultaneously (the holy grail of body composition). - if they eat and train properly. 4 good workouts a week with HIIT would yield infinitely greater results than this routine x 7 days.

Here's a GVT + HIIT routine for you to do 4 days a week.

Day 1:

10 x 10 Bench Press, start at 120lbs, 90s rest inbetween sets. If you get 10x10 increase weight next session
10 minutes HIIT - treadmill, exercise bike - any machine were you can go as fast as possible for 20-30s, rest 60-90s and repeat x 10. As you get fitter increase the speed,resistance and reduce rest - or just search body coach workout on youtube and do one of them
10 x 10 dumbell rows or any other back exercise, same rest duration
10 minutes HIIT

Day 2: rest

Day 3:
10 x 10 db curls
hiit
10 x 10 dumbbell triceps extension or any other tricep exercise - I don't know what equipment you have or whether you go to a gym so I'm choosing exercises based on your above post
hiit

day 4: rest

Day 5:
10x10 barbell squats - start with the empty bar if you have to, or do dumbbell squats, no more of this pussy ass body weight squat bullshit
hiit (probably won't be able to go near a treadmill or bike after the squats)
10x10 db lunges
hiit

Day 6: rest

Day 7:
10x10 db shoulder press
hiit
10x10 db lateral raises
hiit

The combination of HIIT and GVT is incredible for losing fat, and as you're a beginner you will build muscle even eating at a deficit. I guarantee a week of this program will be far more taxing and rewarding than your current program.

Unlikely you won't be able to fuel this activity on 1500 calories and keto.

Happy to write out some diet advice but I think the odds of you giving this a go are 95% against, but because I'm a nice guy who wants to help people I wrote out the program anyway.

If you want the diet advice and can commit to 2 weeks of this then I will write it out. Suffice to say I would increase your calorie intake and introduce carbs post workout - so you get to eat more, eat carbs, build muscle and lose fat.

or we can await your next post of "hey guys the body weight squats and the keto diet stil aren't working", then I can put you on block for wasting everyones time.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I can't swim or run but according to my doctor I can do cycling. I didn't ask about rowing but I assume that's a yes. FYI it's an overuse injury (Achilles Tendinopathy).

Try an exercise bike. Pedal for 20s as fast as possible, rest for 40-60s. Repeat 15-20x times.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Gilgamel Gilgamel If you're feeling great, then that's awesome and keep it up. It's my understanding that muscle glycogen takes a long time to replenish on keto so fatigue will onset more quickly and recovery takes longer. There's also a phenomenon described as "central nervous system fatigue" that arises from taxing your body and not allowing it any recovery (notice how pretty much all workout routines recommend 5 days per week?). Granted, I think CNS fatigue is most often used as an excuse to be a little bitch, but rest days are nonetheless important.

Clearly you're not experiencing any of the symptoms of overload yet, and hell, maybe you never will, but I would recommend tempering your enthusiasm a little, even if for no other reason than to avoid burnout and the onset of "fuck it" mode.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Gilgamel Gilgamel understanding that muscle glycogen takes a long time to replenish on keto so fatigue will onset more quickly and recovery takes longer. .

It won't replenish without carbs. Carbs = glycogen.

It takes around 4-6 weeks to become "fat adapted" so that the body can fuel itself efficiently during exercise. The fact that he isn't complaining about workouts sucking (remember Brahma complaining he lost strength on keto?) is an indicator that his workouts aren't taxing enough.

This might sound contradictory as I told him he is overtraining, but the overtraining is in frequency and not intensity.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think your body still makes glycogen in the absence of carbs, just not as much. If you say it doesn't then I'll take your word for it because I don't care enough to google right now.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I know Ossoi is a hard charger and seems to delight in presenting his thoughts in the most off-putting way possible, but I agree that you're not doing yourself any favors by working out every day (unless you're throwing around pink dumbbells for a few sets of 10 and calling that working out).

I'd also agree with this. Everything I've read says going hard core keto = don't work out or if you do, at best do some brisk walking around the block. On my diet, my doctor has specifically told me not to work out, lift, or do any kind of exercise other than walking.

edit: I should clarify because Ossoi loves to nit-pick the shit out of my posts. The above is simply what my doctor has told me to do. Once you've been on keto for several weeks, your body simply starts using fats for food and ideally, this is where your avocados and such are a great help - I'm almost positive you absolutely don't want to go ultra low fat and ultra low carb at the same time, that's pretty much how your muscles get eaten up. Coconut and olive oils too are really good too. But I still don't know how all that works together once I start working out after I've hit my weight loss goals, but from what my doctor has mentioned to me, there will be a healthy balance of carbs, fats and proteins, and not just an ultra high carb diet in the past.

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My macro distribution is fairly equal (~33% for all 3) and I'm losing weight. As I've mentioned a couple times before, I use avatarnutrition.com for my recommended macros. I'm still on a weight loss track and haven't tinkered with the recommendations for gaining/bulking, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio stayed the same.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Appreciate you taking the time to write all that up. A lot of this just seems counter-intuitive to me. The way I have been successful in life is by doing what is necessary and then doing an extra 50% when it comes to anything I really care about. If working out is good, working out more should be better. If consuming a caloric deficit is good, consuming a bigger deficit should be better. If losing two pounds a week is good, losing four pounds a week is better. I'm at a point where motivation and work ethic is far less of a concern for me than just wasting time, so anything that feels like inaction or half-assery is completely unacceptable to me. It makes it very hard to moderate when it comes to getting the weight off. I just feel compelled to go super fucking hard in everything I am doing right now. I work 50+ hours a week, workout, diet hardcore, study for outside educational shit, and try to go out three nights a week. Aside from playing LOL I pretty much don't waste time in my life anymore, although football will change that.

That said, you obviously have more knowledge in this than I do. I will bump the calories up to 2000 a day and see how it goes. if I keep losing I will bump it up more. As far as HIIT goes my body just isn't at a point I can do 20 minutes. Right now I can do about 8 minutes of 30 on 90 off on the recumbent. My legs just don't have the stamina. If I tone it down just a hair(not going 110% for 30 seconds but instead going 90% all the time) I can do 20 minutes no problem, but if I really stress it my legs just go. Additionally, if I do this I can't do squats or anything that day because my legs are just shot for a few hours. The other issue I have is I hate moving plates around on my weights. Right now I have two adjustable dumbbells with 25 on them, a 150 barbell on my bench, and two 25s on the leg lift at the end of the bench I stick on my barbell for dead lifting(so 200 total when dead lifting). I don't like the up and down of the weights because it just takes time to move the weight around while I work up to my max or whatever.

Another thing I'm going to focus on is sleeping. For the last four months or so I've been in this hyper-motivated super positive mental state. It's great, but 3-4 days a week I get shit like right now where I was up after 5 hours and I'm just 100% awake. My brain is just on. It's not anxiety or insomnia, it's just like my brain says "enough of that rest shit, time to do stuff" and won't stay off. As I understand it weight loss needs sleep to really happen, and additionally sleeping more seems like it's just good for you in general. I've never been a long-sleeper(usually 6-7 hours), but logic dictates that I should not be able to sleep that little consistently, work as hard as I do in so many different areas, and still function at a high level. I haven't seen any detrimental effects yet, just like with the diet, but it seems like that should be coming. I almost feel like I am immune to all these negative side effects of life right now, as I just keep piling shit on and nothing seems to really be able to stop me. But I'm getting older, that feeling of invulnerability cannot actually be real, and I need to get this shit handled before it actually does start taking a toll. Not sure how to really improve my sleep without drugs(I don't take anything stronger than a multivitamin and I'd prefer to keep it that way) but I need to figure it out.

Anyway, cheers for the advice. You sound like you'd advocate dropping keto entirely and eating a more balanced diet. I'm not on board with that right now just because I want to give keto a legitimate shot. I'm not opposed to carb refeed days or something however.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Also I can't do weighted squats right now without a rack. I think my back or core is weak or something, but adding any weight makes me extremely unstable when squatting. Even just holding a 25 lb dumbbell over my head or even goblet style makes it feel majorly uncopacetic. I don't know enough about it to know exactly what my problem is, but I'm not getting injured if I can help it. When I go to push upward from the bottom of the squat it just feels very loose and wobbly if that makes any sense.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why even post about your slow progress if you're just gonna reply to my advice with "well I like what I'm doing.

So you went from a shit uncontrolled diet to a keto diet, instead of going to a controlled, cleaner diet that included some carbs. It's basically skipping a step, you can lose weight without cutting carbs. This isn't an anti-keto comment, it's the fact that you are trying to maximise your rate of weight loss by trying to do as many things as possible, when you're actually hindering your efforts

When I have said multiple times "you work out too much", did I ever say anything about work related activity. I have a desk job, I weigh less than you which means my TDEE is lower, I work out 4 x 60minutes a week and I lose weight on 2200 calories

I tell everyone in this thread to start doing HIIT for 15-20minutes. I have posted videos of beginner HIIT workouts and told people how to do it on treadmills or other cardio machines.

Short burts of higher activity are better than 60minutes boring ass cardio.

You need rest days. I shouldn't need to explain why.

Why aren't you increasing the weights?

Why aren't you increasing the number of reps?

A beginner to weightlifting can burn muscle and lose fat simultaneously (the holy grail of body composition). - if they eat and train properly. 4 good workouts a week with HIIT would yield infinitely greater results than this routine x 7 days.

Here's a GVT + HIIT routine for you to do 4 days a week.

Day 1:

10 x 10 Bench Press, start at 120lbs, 90s rest inbetween sets. If you get 10x10 increase weight next session
10 minutes HIIT - treadmill, exercise bike - any machine were you can go as fast as possible for 20-30s, rest 60-90s and repeat x 10. As you get fitter increase the speed,resistance and reduce rest - or just search body coach workout on youtube and do one of them
10 x 10 dumbell rows or any other back exercise, same rest duration
10 minutes HIIT

Day 2: rest

Day 3:
10 x 10 db curls
hiit
10 x 10 dumbbell triceps extension or any other tricep exercise - I don't know what equipment you have or whether you go to a gym so I'm choosing exercises based on your above post
hiit

day 4: rest

Day 5:
10x10 barbell squats - start with the empty bar if you have to, or do dumbbell squats, no more of this pussy ass body weight squat bullshit
hiit (probably won't be able to go near a treadmill or bike after the squats)
10x10 db lunges
hiit

Day 6: rest

Day 7:
10x10 db shoulder press
hiit
10x10 db lateral raises
hiit

The combination of HIIT and GVT is incredible for losing fat, and as you're a beginner you will build muscle even eating at a deficit. I guarantee a week of this program will be far more taxing and rewarding than your current program.

Unlikely you won't be able to fuel this activity on 1500 calories and keto.

Happy to write out some diet advice but I think the odds of you giving this a go are 95% against, but because I'm a nice guy who wants to help people I wrote out the program anyway.

If you want the diet advice and can commit to 2 weeks of this then I will write it out. Suffice to say I would increase your calorie intake and introduce carbs post workout - so you get to eat more, eat carbs, build muscle and lose fat.

or we can await your next post of "hey guys the body weight squats and the keto diet stil aren't working", then I can put you on block for wasting everyones time.

Send me the diet Ossoi bro! I'm going to jump on this workout. I had to cut back b/c of my tennis elbow but I've been feeling good. I can handle starting with this. Day 5 looks brutal tho

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Gilg, I think it simply works to how your body works. Someone correct me if my (basic) explanation here is wrong but in short, when you work out you have to have energy to burn for it. If you are not keto-adapted, but on keto, then your body can use fat for energy but can only do so in a very.. non-efficient manner. As your body gets more keto adapted, it will be able to use it more efficiently, but I would imagine it still would not give you the energy that carbs can. If you are pushing yourself so hard on keto burning and burning, eventually the body reaches its limit of fat it can burn at a time. If you push your body to demand more energy than what's it can produce from burning off your fat, and your glycogen stores are all/almost all gone (as they should be on ketosis), you'll feel like shit, but it will still go to the next possible place for energy, and that's your muscles.

That's how I understand it, at least.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Gilg, I think it simply works to how your body works. Someone correct me if my (basic) explanation here is wrong but in short, when you work out you have to have energy to burn for it. If you are not keto-adapted, but on keto, then your body can use fat for energy but can only do so in a very.. non-efficient manner. As your body gets more keto adapted, it will be able to use it more efficiently,

That's how I understand it, at least.

Correct. I doubt anyone on keto who isn't fat adapted could finish the workouts I posted above. I will occasionally go keto after heavy weekends and I can never finish the second HIIT.

Anyway, cheers for the advice. You sound like you'd advocate dropping keto entirely and eating a more balanced diet. I'm not on board with that right now just because I want to give keto a legitimate shot. I'm not opposed to carb refeed days or something however.

carbs post workout only to replenish glycogen. Protein+fats+veg every other meal.

As far as HIIT goes my body just isn't at a point I can do 20 minutes

HIIT is anything that is HIGH INTENSITY with rest interval periods. You could literally run on the spot for 20-30s. Or try this workout (which I've posted multiple times)

Send me the diet Ossoi bro! I'm going to jump on this workout. I had to cut back b/c of my tennis elbow but I've been feeling good. I can handle starting with this. Day 5 looks brutal tho

For fat loss - same as what I sent you on old boards. Aim for 11-12 calories per lb of bodyweight. Carb cycling etc.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've done that beginner HIIT routine a couple times now and it's good stuff.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I've done that beginner HIIT routine a couple times now and it's good stuff.

Great to hear! Glad that someone actually listens and I'm not wasting my time

That guy actually has a uk tv show that starts tomorrow. In 2-3 years he's gone from an Instagram account and a career as a PT to having a company with turnover of millions, best selling books and now the tv show

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My hip has been killing me. It went from hurting when I slept on it to constant, throbbing pain. Dr did x-rays and confirmed it is not arthritis. The paranoid in me made me think maybe this is related to the low carb/keto diet so I researched that on my own. It looks like gout is a concern, but I would have other symptoms if it was gout and gout in the hip is rare. So going to the physical therapist on the 9th. Debating just going off the diet for a while to just see what happens, although I am pretty sure it isn't related.

Caliane

remind me/us on age, exercise program, and what the diet was exactly?

Drinking enough fluids? did you make changes to exercise lately?
Fluids (lack of) can cause pain. I would really doubt keto would.