Weight Loss Thread

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
I pulled 315 once before my surgery and Im sure it looked terrible. I havent done a conventional bench press in like 6+ months since I dont have a spotter, Ive just been doing dumbell bench press

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Weak.

EDIT: not like your 315 bench-that-I-can't-film-because-my-shoulder-hurts-now-LOL! Post a picture of that jaw-dropping physique that once put up 3 plates, man. 180lbs benching 315 twice. Hah. I know they're buried in this thread somewhere but it's always good for a laugh. I'm asking as a humble weak-man that hasn't yet deadlifted what you claim to have benched for reps. While losing 100lbs in 18 months.
Come visit me. Come ask the friends I lifted with how much they've seen me put up. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. That was young, strapping 22 year old Khane. Hurt, defeated, soft 32 year old Khane can't do that anymore. And if I tried to get back to that kind of weight I'd surely just re-injure myself. Separated shoulders never actually heal.

You have to understand Eidal, most normal people don't shoot video of themselves at the gym. I get it, it's hard to believe I would be able to do it just because you can't, and you're a fitness guru.

Khane

also anyone that can bench 315 at that weight has a video of themselves bench pressing 315 at that weight SOMEWHERE
It wasn't a big deal, I was one of the weaker guys at that gym. It was also 10 years ago, long before smartphones were a thing.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_81496.jpg

Lose 100 lbs in eighteen months, go from untrained to near-elite. Khane-level genetics. I think most people with elite-category lifts have film of them lifting in that echelon. I film my pre-intermediate stuff just to ask other people for form checks.

Come on man, don't get salty because you bullshitted the forum a bit too high... next time you run your mouth just say it was 265 or something.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a benefit to doing bar-bench rather than dumbbells? I much prefer the dumbbells for some reason, I get wrist pain on the bar.

Khane

rrr_img_81496.jpg

Lose 100 lbs in eighteen months, go from untrained to near-elite. Khane-level genetics. I think most people with elite-category lifts have film of them lifting in that echelon. I film my pre-intermediate stuff just to ask other people for form checks.

Come on man, don't get salty because you bullshitted the forum a bit too high... next time you run your mouth just say it was 265 or something.
I'm alright with you not believing me. Really I am.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Is there a benefit to doing bar-bench rather than dumbbells? I much prefer the dumbbells for some reason, I get wrist pain on the bar.
If you start getting into heavier weights I think it's easier to use barbells. It's easier to slap 200 pounds onto a barbell and lift it out of the rack than it is to get into/out of position with two 100lb dumbbells.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you start getting into heavier weights I think it's easier to use barbells. It's easier to slap 200 pounds onto a barbell and lift it out of the rack than it is to get into/out of position with two 100lb dumbbells.
Yea I'm not at 100's yet, still doing 75's. They are a pain to get in position though.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Yea I'm not at 100's yet, still doing 75's. They are a pain to get in position though.
Anecdotal, but I've also seen a lot of people who have worked with heavy dumbbells talk about injuring themselves -- especially during that torque motion to get them into place or on a failed rep. A failed rep for bench is comparatively safe on your shoulder -- your chest can catch it and you can do the roll of shame. Compared to a failed rep on dumbbell where the weight might force your shoulder into a bad spot before you can release it safely.

Note: both the barbell/dumbell bench blow out peoples shoulders all the time.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
Does anyone have pressure build up in their sternum that you have to crack or pop? This just started earlier this year and now its to the point where the pressure builds up so much sometimes you can hear it pop from across the room

Disp_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_81496.jpg

Not commenting on Khane, but I think a lot of people use their machine and cable lifts when they tell people their bench, curl, etc. numbers, which is obviously pretty silly. Either that, or they just lie. I used to care about shit like that, but not any more. Only person I'm competing with on lifts and looking to get better than is myself.

Does anyone have pressure build up in their sternum that you have to crack or pop? This just started earlier this year and now its to the point where the pressure builds up so much sometimes you can hear it pop from across the room
No. Sounds like you may have AIDS. And if it's not AIDS, it's something else completely abnormal. Popping from anywhere isn't good. What causes the pressure to build up though; is it specific exercises, or just over the course of exercising for half an hour or whatever?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Being able to lift 200 on a barbell is much different than 2 100lb dumbbells. 110-115lb dumbbells usually correlates to a barbell bench of 275ish for me.

Getting heavy dumbbells into position really is a motherfucker, though.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Being able to lift 200 on a barbell is much different than 2 100lb dumbbells. 110-115lb dumbbells usually correlates to a barbell bench of 275ish for me.

Getting heavy dumbbells into position really is a motherfucker, though.
Yeah, I know it's not a direct 1-to-1 comparison between dumbbell and barbell weights. It was just a simple example to illustrate the point.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This is almost certainly just tight chest muscles pulling your sternum out of place, and then you stretch and it pops (similar to a chiropractic adjustment). I've been getting it from time to time as well since I've upped my chest routine.

edit- Although I'll add, I don't experience any "pressure," just the popping when stretching it out.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If you have even remotely decent health insurance I'd go get that checked out. I had a friend who had chronic pain in his chest/sternum area and, though he denies it, we all knew it was because he trained while injured repeatedly.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not commenting on Khane, but I think a lot of people use their machine and cable lifts when they tell people their bench, curl, etc. numbers, which is obviously pretty silly. Either that, or they just lie.
Or you say you doing 4x10x80 dumbbell OHP every other day and you get compared to some guy's 120lb girlfriend
wink.png

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
This is going to sound gay as hell but fuck it (insert gay seal). Sawthis article about an English rowing team bla bla bla. My question is this. Is rowing (like full on actual rowing instead of just doing your arms at the gym) along the same lines as squats in that it works your entire body and is really good at shreading you? I ask because each guy in said article is essentially an Abercrombie model in terms of body. Are their bodies that way more because of the rowing or because of your run of the mill workout regiments / genetics / whatever?

tl:dr = Is full body rowing a great way to get shreaded so all the pretty young girlies will like me?

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm sure you can get shredded very well with it. Doesn't seem like there's much chest, triceps, quads, calves in any of the movement though.