Weight Loss Thread

Xevy

Log Wizard
Rowing is all upper body shit. Pretty much everything. My roommate in college was a rower and he was like 6'0 and 155 but very cut. You don't think it does much for triceps or chest, but there's resistance against the oar (catching crabs they call it) that actually makes it a pretty good workout. Your legs will be fucked though, but that's why they usually have the crew members jogging with their boats. Helps build legs as well as cardio.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I know a couple of elite track cyclists use rowers to train so it's gotta work your legs to some degree.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
tl:dr = Is full body rowing a great way to get shreaded so all the pretty young girlies will like me?
Yes, as far as aesthetics go women care about shoulders, abs, biceps, pecs in roughly that order... every other muscle you have, as long as it isn't severely neglected is less important. Make as large of a V as you can with your body.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
the ranting of a madman
It works brah.

Who are you going to listen to for nutrition advice on weight loss, a skinny bitch that's always been skinny. Or a skinny guy that used to be a monstrously fat man telling you how he stopped being fat.

Just think about it.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Himeo no one doubts that calorie restriction works, or that a keto diet helps adhere to a calorie restriction. It also isn't very conducive to fitness. It's a damage control method useful for eatbeasts to get back to a normal BMI and try to unfuck their hormonal signaling.

Planning a life around it is a tough uphill struggle, carbs are immensely useful for post workout recovery.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It works brah.

Who are you going to listen to for nutrition advice on weight loss, a skinny bitch that's always been skinny. Or a skinny guy that used to be a monstrously fat man telling you how he stopped being fat.

Just think about it.
I was 23% body fat last year. It may not be as fat as you, but it was still fat and overweight. I restricted carbs for a time, and then reintroduced them via carb cycling.

I am now trying to increase my muscle mass and I've been eating 3000 calories a day since September. I started off with a 40c, 30f, 30p diet and am now carb cycling. I have higher amounts of carbs on training days, and higher fats lower carbs on non training days, although my carbs still range from 50-150g carbs on non training days. And I'm no longer sticking to sweet potato only - I have white rice, brown rice, the occasional burger with bun and a favourite post workout snack is Ben and Jerry frozen yoghurt, plus 80g of carb powder added to my protein shake.

I've just had to increase to 3500 calories a day (350g carbs, 120g fat, 260g protein), because since starting a new program at the start of November I actually started to lose weight -YES, lost weight despite eating 300g carbs.

It is not as simple as "carbs make you fat". The simple answer is "eating too many calories make you fat"

The more technical explanation of that would be "eating too many calories via the wrong combination of unhealthy carbs and unhealthy fats make you fat".

For someone looking to lose weight, then yeah, if they're massively overweight, cut carbs entirely. Once they are leaner, then reintroduce sweet potatoes and other healthy and use a disciplined carb cycling approach

Honestly, I have 3 months worth of hackers diet online weight logs that show exactly how much weight I've gained since I started bulking. I also have 3 months of MFP logs to go with it. Thanks to these two sources, I know exactly what I eat and what effect that had on my weight. Any weight gain that was too quick was down to the calories not the carbs.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
FYI, swimming medleys including butterfly. Do it. Amazing core and upper body work out. You still have the repetition of other exercises, with minimal downtime and ware.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
This is going to sound gay as hell but fuck it (insert gay seal). Sawthis article about an English rowing team bla bla bla. My question is this. Is rowing (like full on actual rowing instead of just doing your arms at the gym) along the same lines as squats in that it works your entire body and is really good at shreading you? I ask because each guy in said article is essentially an Abercrombie model in terms of body. Are their bodies that way more because of the rowing or because of your run of the mill workout regiments / genetics / whatever?

tl:dr = Is full body rowing a great way to get shreaded so all the pretty young girlies will like me?
Getting shredded is eating less calories than you burn. That's it. Any exercise can help aid that deficit. Rowing could probably instigate some amount of muscle growth and is a good choice for cardio but won't shred anyone who doesn't eat properly

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Getting shredded is eating less calories than you burn. That's it.
Yea most marathon runners I've seen are pretty shredded.

There is quite a lot of resistance in rowing, it certainly can promote muscle growth. Try rowing into the wind on a blustery day. And rowing machines at gyms can turn up the resistance even more.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gained weight
frown.png
up to 200lbs, lots of eating like shit the past 2 weeks. Hopefully at least some of it went to muscle.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Struggling curling 60's my normal 5-7 reps today. Was wondering wtf was wrong. They were 65's because some one didn't rewrack the weights properly. So I got quite a work out playing musical dumb-bells with the 55's, 60's and 65's. Though I kind of wanted to see the 110lb female employee do it. For funs.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Still eating like a fucking faggot. Lost 5lbs this month. Feel like I cant lift shit. afk cutting
Opposite here -- enjoying a dreamer bulk. Weighed in at 6'1 193 late July pre-surgery, now I'm 217. Eating/drinking everything with zero fucks. Atonement comes in January.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am not really sure I understand how my body works any more. Around the end of October, I upped my calorie intake per day (1900 > 2100) as a the primary site I use for projecting loss recommended so minimize muscle loss. When I was eating 1900 calories / day I was dropping approximately 1.25 - 1.75 lbs / week. In theory, that should have dropped my weight loss to around .75 - 1.25 lbs / week as I would only be introducing 1400 new calories over the course of a week. Instead, I have been plateau'd for the past 3 weeks fluctuating +/- .5 lbs at 170 lbs.

I have not altered the composition of my diet, the extra calories are good ones. I still work out the same amount, more or less, over the course of a week. I also still take the same supplements I did a month ago.

I would assume it is a food portion / measurement issue, but I do the same thing at 2100 calories that I did at 1900 so even if I am going over 2100, I would have been going over 1900 around the same amount percentage wise. The other option is that my workouts are burning less calories as I get more efficient at using my energy during rolling, etc.

I figure I am going to tough this out for another week or two to see if it is just a temporary stall. If I don't see a change I will most likely drop calories to 2000 as a first step. There aren't any other days at my gym that line up for classes so I don't think I can increase my training unless I start doing home stuff again.

I always thought plateaus had to be a myth. Oh well. This is definitely going to put a damper on hitting 165 by the first of the year.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
More on the "not all carbs are bad" topicLow-Fat vs. Low-Carb: The Winner is Neither | Civil Eats

"Whole, or minimally-processed carbohydrates-vegetables, whole fruit, beans, and whole grains-are very different than highly processed ones (think soda, donuts, instant mashed potatoes, white flour bagels, Pop-Tarts, and candy). Not only do the minimally processed carbohydrates offer more fiber (which in turn helps to keep blood sugar levels steady), they also offer vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants."

Ignoring fruit and vegetables because pizza and soda made you fat = MADNESS