What are you playing?

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yup. That's why I've gotten so attracted to the Vampire Survivors genre. Short game sessions and can generally "finish" them in a relatively short amount of time.

Good ARPG's still manage to hold me for awhile but narrative based games just don't do it anymore (though I still try with the best ones).
Yea I enjoy those games more as well. VS was great to grind through.

I play a lot on the Steam Deck and the simpler/shorter games work great on it.

Will probably check out Last Epoch, I know nothing about it really other than its a ARPG.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You're just getting old.

Really, it's that.

I attribute it primarily to familiarity and not age. Novelty is interesting.

Obviously though with the denizens of these forums, age and familiarity with games will coincide.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So, my best friend and I were discussing this. He was talking about how he has put in 100's of hours into ER but always peters out around the fire giant area. Never finished it. I was talking about how I stopped and just beat LoZ TotK about 20 shrines short rather than finish all the shrines. I estimated well over 150 hours at that point for Zelda. I feel like games today just bloat up content with "tasks" and tedium that are fun little diversions at first but then the games overstay their welcome. I didn't really have much problem with FF16 except that one slow bit where it was obvious they didn't get Leviathan done in time. I have far less time to game, but now games have (typically) a lot more content. When you think back to most single player games, 15-30 years ago...a slew chocked in at 40-50 hours max. Now that might only get you halfway on some games if you do everything and don't skip story scenes. I'm probably just old.

Now, I've told my buddy he is flat playing ER wrong and shouldn't try hitting it all but he says he gets in this mode and falls into the same do it all rut. Gotta break that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I attribute it primarily to familiarity and not age. Novelty is interesting.

Obviously though with the denizens of these forums, age and familiarity with games will coincide.

I'm in my late 40s. I fucking LOVE games.

I find myself really excited to play something and 3 hours later I'm like meh and bail.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm in my late 40s. I fucking LOVE games.

I find myself really excited to play something and 3 hours later I'm like meh and bail.

Right, that's my point. I fucking LOVE games too. But I fucking LOVED games as a kid. I'm guessing you fucking LOVED games as a kid also.

So it's likely not age. I think it's a familiarity/novelty issue. We LOVE the idea of games, and/or the idea of a specific game, but we get into it and more and more (due to experience) we find that the ratio of "novel" to "too familiar" is off and we lose interest. Same reason it's rare to play the same game over and over and over again, most especially if it's not a game set up to attempt to capture that play mode, like a story based game etc.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Gamers did this to themselves. You see tons of negative reviews on games “only has 40 hours of content, it makes me physically ill they are charging $20 for this, I don’t care how good it is only 40 hours is disgusting.”

So we get stupid bullshit like delivering soup 15 feet away ten times in FF16 to extend the “content”.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My problem is at this point I see straight through games to their mechanics and gameplay loops, and if there's something off it drives me bonkers. I just don't have time in my life anymore to power through broken/boring parts of games even if they are otherwise good. Production values matter, but not a lot. I find myself gravitating towards indie/retro games because they tend to focus more on pure design.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gamers did this to themselves. You see tons of negative reviews on games “only has 40 hours of content, it makes me physically ill they are charging $20 for this, I don’t care how good it is only 40 hours is disgusting.”

So we get stupid bullshit like delivering soup 15 feet away ten times in FF16 to extend the “content”.

I think I beat Delve in less than 20 hours, but it was worth every penny. Dave the Diver took a lot longer.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have a wierd problem with games nowadays. They are super fun at first and when I feel I'm approaching the second half of the game my interest fizzle and I don't want to continue.

Played FF7 Remake and quit when I got to Aerith church. Played FFXVI and quit halfway. Played Spiderman 2 and quit at maybe 70%. Playing Monster Hunter World right now and I'm 90 hours in and a few quests into Iceborn and the same thing is starting to happen even if I still enjoy playing it.

Did take a small break from MHW today and decided to plow through and finish Spiderman 2 so I could at least check that game off the list.

The Plan is to wrap up FF7 Remake before Rebirth but will see how that pans out...

I've always been pretty good about finishing every game I get midway through. Once I get past like halfway I'm pretty much guaranteed to finish something. I can remember all of the few games that I gave up on at some point past the halfway point: Recore, Gravity Rush, Control, Prey... I think that might actually be it.

What I've noticed happening more often in recent years is that I tap out on things pretty much immediately without giving them a fair chance, something I didn't do in the past. I'd stick things out for a while and then either finish them (if I was far along enough) or tap out after giving them a good try. Nowadays though if something doesn't grab me in 20 minutes I turn it off and never play it again. Tried Callisto Protocol, Tales of Arise, Monster Hunter Rise, and a bunch of other things in the past year that I just went "nope" on almost immediately and brought them back.

So my interests don't fizzle as I go on, they just are or aren't there to begin with, and the "aren't"s seem to be increasing a lot every year. At least it's freeing up more time. Maybe there'll come a day when I only play Fromsoft games.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Right, that's my point. I fucking LOVE games too. But I fucking LOVED games as a kid. I'm guessing you fucking LOVED games as a kid also.

So it's likely not age. I think it's a familiarity/novelty issue. We LOVE the idea of games, and/or the idea of a specific game, but we get into it and more and more (due to experience) we find that the ratio of "novel" to "too familiar" is off and we lose interest. Same reason it's rare to play the same game over and over and over again, most especially if it's not a game set up to attempt to capture that play mode, like a story based game etc.
I play games in preparation for the resurrection of the Roman Empire.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I think its just getting older. As an adult your time is more precious. theres other things you COULD be doing, so have less patience for poor pacing in a game. Both in terms of life, and in terms of games.
It was always a problem in games. but you had less choice as a kid. some rpg had a slow second half as a kid? well, maybe you had 1 other you could play. now? theres 20 in your steam backlog, and another 30 on sale on steam and GGG right now. and theres always the wife,kids,pets, yardwork, car, golf, fishing, etc as well.

I've always favored mechanics in games. so, learning the game, figuring out new builds, figuring out hidden mechanics, and systems is always the most fun part for me. so, a game that frontloads that will lose my half way. This is why I not just finished Wrath of the righteous and its 250h campaign, but made it about 150h into a second playthrough. the builds are deep, and you keep getting new unlocks the whole damn way. while, Divinity:eek:s2 I quit in act 3 iirc. might even been act 2... its systems are shallow, and its trying to keep me going on story alone, while distracting me with sidequests. which distract me from the main quest and kill pacing.

Sandboxes like Skyrim are kind of built for this. while, more shallow then I would like, they are MADE for you to kindof just play till you stop. put it down and then comeback to and start again later. Kenshi, bannerlord, starsector, etc. The main story doesn't matter really much, so there is no drive to actually do it in the first place.

jrpgs have ALWAYS had that problem. huge focus on main story. but then give you an airship, open up the world for exploration, which totally kills the pacing, and drive for that main quest.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I think its just getting older. As an adult your time is more precious. theres other things you COULD be doing, so have less patience for poor pacing in a game. Both in terms of life, and in terms of games.
It was always a problem in games. but you had less choice as a kid. some rpg had a slow second half as a kid? well, maybe you had 1 other you could play. now? theres 20 in your steam backlog, and another 30 on sale on steam and GGG right now. and theres always the wife,kids,pets, yardwork, car, golf, fishing, etc as well.

I don't think this is the case for most people. I know I was experiencing this phenomenon well before I got busier as an adult. I think this is just a post-hoc rationalization. Interesting things very often distract busy adults from what they know they should be doing.

I've always favored mechanics in games. so, learning the game, figuring out new builds, figuring out hidden mechanics, and systems is always the most fun part for me. so, a game that frontloads that will lose my half way. This is why I not just finished Wrath of the righteous and its 250h campaign, but made it about 150h into a second playthrough. the builds are deep, and you keep getting new unlocks the whole damn way. while, Divinity:eek:s2 I quit in act 3 iirc. might even been act 2... its systems are shallow, and its trying to keep me going on story alone, while distracting me with sidequests. which distract me from the main quest and kill pacing.

You're making my familiarity argument for me. And I'm the same way, learning new interesting systems is very fun for me. Interest drops as I master those systems and have experienced all the nooks and crannies.

Caliane

yeah, hell i played dungeonborne and dungeon stalkers in next fest despite having no intention to actually play a pvpve game, and kindof hating them. just because I wanted to explore the mechanics, and evaluate the experience, and im particular compare the two. (I dont think dark and darker has a demo?)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Elden ring switches things up enough that (ignoring the mini dungeons which are pretty much optional) you should have a hard time getting bored. Is he just hitting the wall with the Fire Giant or is he actually bored once he makes it past him? Because he is literally one zone away from the end at that point. Seems an odd place to start. And I played the fuck out of that game and constantly want to start it up again......

Anyhow, my current obsession was the Digital Gloomhaven on PS5. Pretty much face rolled that thanks to Plague guy, Bard, and Sorcerer combo. Gave Age of Wonders 4 a try, but I apparently just plain suck at it because no matter how efficient and fast a start I get off to, the computer magically always seems to have more of everything. Plus the game is just too fucking long for a generic Civ ripoff.

Patiently waiting for Dragons Dogma 2 to drop......

joz123

Potato del Grande
Been playing Prey on Gamepass but I'm getting tired of the backtracking and the loading screens.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Playing Last Epoch got me in an arpg mood. Saw Chronicon is now in a "complete" state since I last bought it and has a new class.

Been playing it and forgot how fun an arpg it is. Great little indie one that you can get right to the mass killing arpg destruction. Playing great on steam deck too (just had to switch to proton experimental).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Unicorn Overlord from Vanillaware published by Altus. Dragons crown dudes…

Anyway it is fantastic and strangely addicting past the 3 hour mark. My one complaint is while it is tactical you can steamroll everything with the same three group of units. They are overleveled because they are my go to all around badasses, but when three will do why deploy others…
Nitpick aside it is on every console but like all vanillaware never coming to PC.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Anyway it is fantastic and strangely addicting past the 3 hour mark. My one complaint is while it is tactical you can steamroll everything with the same three group of units. They are overleveled because they are my go to all around badasses, but when three will do why deploy others…
Nitpick aside it is on every console but like all vanillaware never coming to PC.
Ive seen the ads for it incessantly on IG - but I dont own consoles anymore. I am jealous because it does look fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Funny because I used that very strat to steamroll Ogre Battle back in the day, and was asking on here if it was feasible in UO. Sounds like it totally is. The game should be pretty much a cakewalk then.