What book did you just buy?

Smocca_sl

shitlord
I read The Brothers Karamazov for the first time a month or two ago. Easily one of my favorite books now.

I loved Ivan and the conversation between him and the devil was probably the funniest thing I've read in a book in a long time.

I read the Pevear and Volohonsky translation and it was a really easy read (once I got used to the names/characters). So if anyone is put off by the idea of reading a 100+ year old russian novel, well, don't be. I guess they have translated a lot of classic Russian novels. I was just about to start their translation of Anna Karenina this week.

Tangurena_sl

shitlord
The latest one I bought wasVorpatril's Alliance. It is in the same series as the Miles Vorkosigan series, but this time features "IvanYou IdiotVorpatril". It is a pleasant SF novel with some romance and it expands on Ivan's family history and what sort of person he is.

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
On the advice of a co-worker, I picked up Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child. It's part of the Jack Reacher character series. Decent stand alone book with political drama, action, some fighting, and fast paced plot shifts. I was told the audio book is incredible.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
After reading The Count of Monte Cristo recently I wanted more of Dumas so I picked up the Three Musketeers, it should be fun.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I picked up Darksiders: The Abomination Vault ages ago (when Darksiders 2 came out) and it's been sitting on my Kindle ever since. I was between books and decided to zip through it, and as it turns out it's pretty great. Well written and a lot of fun to read, and you don't really have to be a fan of the video games to enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.com/Darksiders-Abo...mination+vault

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I burned the three books of the Muirwood series this week, they're reasonable and cheap at ~2.50/each on the Kindle. They do have some irritating aspects, apparently stepping on someones foot is like kryptonite in the universe the heroine does it every fight.

For anyone who hasn't read it, Tor has Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings on sale for $2.99 at all e-book sites.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
A few weeks ago I picked up The Fighters Mind by Sam Sheridan. Very interesting and good book about the mental aspect of martial arts and fighting. Lots of enlightening stuff regarding training and coaching from greats like Dan Gable and others. I train Muay Thai, so reading this really helps to increase my fighter mindset.

Szlia

Just finishedThe Carpet Makers, a short SF novel built like a collection of short stories that weave a bigger narrative. Each chapter is a tragedy that has the power of a classic tale and, as you progress through the book, the scope (both in time and space) of the main plot point grows and grows to almost unfathomable proportions. A read both terrific and terrifying.

Just bought and about to start Hunter's Run by Martin / Dozois / Abraham.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished off The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Entertaining books with some great characters with story that moves along without getting bogged down in too much minutia.

Picked up Black Prism to start on his Lightbringer series, enjoying it so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Weeks

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I couldn't finish the Kissinger bio. 100 pages left and I couldn't do it.
frown.png

Picked up American Gods.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The Black Sun's Daughter series by MLN Hanover - tried the first one out and found it very readable, ended up getting and reading the rest of the series. It's urban fantasy tending a bit toward horror, mostly about demons and demonic possession. I found this series a great read overall, and will definitely get any new ones that show up.

Sleight of Hand by Mark Henwick - this was an excellent book. Eagerly awaiting any further sequels.

Merlin's Gun by Alistair Reynolds - this was pretty minor Reynolds, it was decent, but just decent.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I am looking for some suggestions for reading material. I recently read all of Joe Abercrombie's work. I've read all of Malazan, GRRM, Sandeson. Looking for a series I can really dive into.

I have also read the Nigt Angel (dark angel maybe) triogy, the kwothe stuff, wheel of time.. I've read a book or two of Terry Brooks. Feel like I am running out of good options.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Bought a used copy of Winter's Tale (Mark Helprin). One of my all time favs.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I got the Wizard of Eathsea on my Kindle a couple days ago, and while it's showing its age a little, I'm enjoying it, and earlier today hit the bookstore and got the latest Pern book, The Wise Man's Fear (sequel to the Name of the Wind), and a bunch of history books, including Herodotus.