What did you just read?

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Do you get paid to do that or is it just a hobby?
Szlia's the shit. He writes better articles about tennis, on Rerolled of all places, than an army of ESPN communications majors could do.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through the book for the upcomming movie 'The Martian'. Great book so far. Really fun, smart, action packed, sentimental at times, and funny too. It's Robinson Crusoe in space and it's pretty awesome.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone have a top 3 dystopian future type books. Watched snowpiercer recently and it got me thinking.

I don't want to read snowpiercer.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a top 3 dystopian future type books. Watched snowpiercer recently and it got me thinking.

Damn it...now I'm all out of ideas.

The Running Man by King, classics like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451, Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep,and even the Hunger Games are all pretty solid books. Half this list was adapted to movies but still good books.

khorum

Murder Apologist

Flashback, by Dan Simmons, the author ofHyperionandThe Terror.

I love how that WaPo review is just about the only one where the reviewer didn't start shooting blood out of their eyes at Simmons. Despite all that, and despite being written back in 2010 loooong before the fall of Syria, the rise of ISIS and the Chinese economic crash and the imminent islamization of Europe, it's hitting worryingly close.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Anyone have a top 3 dystopian future type books.
Fahrenheit 451. Like, for real. Bradbury has a simple and direct style that would never work to describe a place like Middle Earth, but it is perfect for his dystopia. It's not a difficult read at all but it hits home, hard. At least for me it did.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jack Vance Dying Earth
Michael Moorcock- the ice schooner
Cantilever for leibowitz

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really need to read the 2nd and 3rd.

I'm looking through a list of Dystopian Future books on goodreads to see what books I've read qualify. A lot of them are borderline. Like every zombie book seems to qualify.

The Knife of Never Letting Go(Chaos Walking trilogy) was good. Weird and it took a little to really hook me but by the end I enjoyed the series a lot. It's one of those Young Adult books that I'm not sure why it's Young Adult compared to a lot of normal books I've read.

Ender's Game? I'm sure everyone has read it by now, and some people are predisposed to hate it because Card is such a shithead. But I loved the book cover to cover.

The Long Walkby Stephen King as Richard Bachman. It's kind of Hunger Games-esque. Except more Stephen Kingy. Good stuff.

I haven't readThe Windup Girlyet, but folks on this very page are all about it so I'd say it's probably a good place to start. The author has a more recent book in a similar vein calledThe Water Knife. Water has gotten so scarce in the western states that private armies etc are fighting to control it. It's on my short list to read next.

Anyone readOryx and Crake? Sounded interesting.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
All three Kovacs are good in my opinion.

Ender's Game is good but skip most of the series. I think the Bean book is good and can't remember what else is. A lot of it is garbage though.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Atwood's Oryx and Crake series is being turned into an HBO show by Darren Aronofsky (of Pi and Requiem for a Dream fame). It's a good series but it's heavy on the SJW radfem bullshit and definitely not light reading for the dystopian fix.

If you were looking for more literate dystopias why not Cormac McCarthy'sThe Road, which will probably crush your soul. Otherwise, Dan Simmons' Flashback remains my recent favorite for the sci-fi dystopia side. I loved Windup Girl too, but you're better off looking for the prequel to it ("The Calorie Man") than Water Knife, which was meh.

iannis

Musty Nester
Jack Vance Dying Earth
Michael Moorcock- the ice schooner
Cantilever for leibowitz
Yeah, Canticle for Leibowitz will fuck your shit up. If you've never read it I do recommend it. I tried reading others by that author and they just didn't quite gel. But that one... god, ugh. That book hurts. But it's supposed to.

Alas, Babylon is also a good book. It's not really dystopia. It's nuclear holocaust and a small town in 1950's Florida.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Just started "In the Heart of the Sea". Want to make sure I finish it before I go see the movie this Christmas. I've been on a nonfiction tear lately.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Good shit.
Give Blood Meridian a go if you haven't. A lot of people I'd considered to be utter snobs have been proclaiming loudly that McCarthy sold out and started writing bestsellers shit. I enjoyed The Road, but after reading BM I have to concede they have a point. It's far more difficult - moreliterary- than The Road but also far better.

I could be way off - wikipedia doesn't seem to mention this in its list of themes - but I think it's an examination of western values - empiricism, secular humanism, etc - taken to their extreme, with the westward expansion of the US into the extreme-west of of a map of earth.

Be warned, it's violent as fuck.

velk

Trakanon Raider
"The March North" - Graydon Saunders

This was an truly excellent book, very different from the normal run of stuff. The setting is sort of post apocalyptic but magic based rather than nuclear or the like - basically it's not all that hard for powerful sorcerers to make themselves immortal, and the book is set after tens of thousands of years of them fighting each other - the world is kind of a shithole filled with leftover deadly bioweapons. It's about a regional militia that goes on a routine scouting mission and encounter... complications. The first sign that something might be going on is when of two of the most ancient and terrifyingly powerful sorcerers in the world show up with orders to join the militia as low ranked non-coms.

It doesn't really read like much else out there - most similar to the black company I guess. It's not an easy read - it doesn't spend much time explaining things, and people talk like actual people instead of dialogue, which makes conversations difficult to follow.

"The Shepherd's Crown" - Terry Pratchett

Tiffany Aching steps up a leadership role. This was only 'ok', which was a bit sad.

"Zero Sum Game" - S L Huang

This was another great read, kind of a weird premise, the main character is a combat mathematician ;p It's pretty much full on action, and a decent plot. Early on the main character's actions and thoughts felt kind of off, like an implausible inability to realize she is doing something unusual, but as you go through the book that turns out to be intentional.

"The Aeronaut's Windlass" - Jim Butcher

Start of a new series for Butcher. This started kind of slow, but picked up a lot of momentum for a great finish. Really liked this one. It's sort of steam punk'ish in feel, although the source of most weaponry, transportation, etc is electricity. Political intrigue, swashbuckling and engineering make an interesting combo.

"Jumper" - Steven Gould

This was a hell of a lot better than the movie that was made of it. Kind of glad I hadn't read it before I saw it, it would have annoyed me.

"Demon Road" - Derek Landy

Start of a new series now that Skulduggery Pleasant is finished. Not set in the same world, not real connection. It was good, but not up to the Skulduggery Pleasant standard. My attempt at amateur psychoanalysis is that Landy's ongoing 'fuck you' reaction to having his books get kicked out of school libraries is going a bit too far ;p

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
"The Aeronaut's Windlass" - Jim Butcher

Start of a new series for Butcher. This started kind of slow, but picked up a lot of momentum for a great finish. Really liked this one. It's sort of steam punk'ish in feel, although the source of most weaponry, transportation, etc is electricity. Political intrigue, swashbuckling and engineering make an interesting combo.
I see this isn't out until Sep 29th, is it on the usual torrent/irc sites?