What did you just read?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ive been reading Moby Dick lately, and I just reached the part where Melville tries to scientifically categorize whales, and he insists that they are fish, not mammals.

I think this may have ruined the book for me.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am pretty sure they are making that into an HBO series, or at least they were starting the process a year or so ago. I didn't think it was the greatest writing ever, but I did think the "mythology" Gaiman created using Pop Culture was pretty clever.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I recently purchased together both the Collected Writings of Thomas Paine and The Holy Quran by God. I plan to read both of them cover to cover. Let it not be said that I made no effort to understand this current conflict of ideals.

I just finished The Sun Also Rises and I want to go to Spain now.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished Joe Abercrombie's First Law Series and Ready Player one on Vacation. Really enjoyed both, I wish there was more of First Law and Ready Player one is a trip down what if there was true virtual world. RPO also reminded me why I quit mmos recently and really has helped reaffirm my decision.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I read a few books this last week.

Warheart (Richard and Kahlan): Terry Goodkind: 9780765383082: Amazon.com: Books

It was terrible of course, I just read Goodkind because I have read everything else. I am still not sure I remember how it totally ended, I do remember the basic thing they won but after that just blanks in my head.

Crimson Shore (Pendergast Series Book 15) - Kindle edition by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child. Mystery, Thriller Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I like this Pendergast series, this book jumped the shark a bit, he is definitely not scared of putting some weird supernatural stuff in there but I like it.

The Crossing - Kindle edition by Michael Connelly. Mystery, Thriller Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

If you watched the show on Amazon called Bosch this is that series. Procedural crime stuff. I like it, basic plane fluff and easy to read.

Amazon.com: The Survivor (A Mitch Rapp Novel Book 12) eBook: Vince Flynn, Kyle Mills: Kindle Store

This was a propaganda piece against terrorists that if Republicans could read they would masturbate to daily. The author died and somebody else finished it up so I am done with this series if they keep the character going.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just finished The Martian, it was awesome. Totally lived up to the hype and then some.

Side note it was the first book I read on my new Kindle Voyage, I don't think I have ever read a book so quickly or efficiently. I have been saying for years that I want an e-reader but just never got around to it, now I am kicking myself for not owning one sooner.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Amazon.com: What Remains of Heroes (A Requiem for Heroes Book 1) eBook: David Benem: Kindle Store

This one is written by a friend of mine, and he bought my terrible xbox game so I was determined to read it. I ended up waiting on the audiobook, and I was a bit shocked at how good it was. He's always been a clever witty sort but I had no idea he had it in him to write something.

Recommended! And not just because he's a friend.

Aside from that, lots of chronicles of the black company. I tried to jump into "the dreaming void" after What Remains, and was super happy it was narrated by John Lee, but it was just too dense to listen to while working. I need some really mindless work to be able to follow heavy scifi.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Just finishedThe Secrets of Alchemyby Lawrence Principe, a history book on the the subject. If your interested in medieval history, or the history of science, I'd highly recommend it, it ended up being a really interesting read.

And now I've started in onSword of Destiny, the latest of the Witcher books to get published in English. Only finished the first story (it's a short story collection) so far, but so far it's good.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Amazon.com: What Remains of Heroes (A Requiem for Heroes Book 1) eBook: David Benem: Kindle Store

This one is written by a friend of mine, and he bought my terrible xbox game so I was determined to read it. I ended up waiting on the audiobook, and I was a bit shocked at how good it was. He's always been a clever witty sort but I had no idea he had it in him to write something.

Recommended! And not just because he's a friend.

Aside from that, lots of chronicles of the black company. I tried to jump into "the dreaming void" after What Remains, and was super happy it was narrated by John Lee, but it was just too dense to listen to while working. I need some really mindless work to be able to follow heavy scifi.
Bought your friend's book (Kindle version, because no offense but fuck $17 for a book) because I like to support aspiring authors. And because the 1* reviews complained of gratuitous sex and violence. SOLD!

No idea when I'll read it, but hopefully it is good and he writes more.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Reading More Money than God, by Sebastian Mallaby. Sort of a history of hedge funds. A hedge fund is one of those terms that I hear all the time yet never really felt like I knew about, so figured I'd read a book on them. Gripping enough, but so far it's more of a history of a few groups of really smart people who made a killing in the stock market by shorting like motherfuckers.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
11801463.jpg

City of Dragons: Volume Three of the Rain Wilds Chronicles: Robin Hobb: 9780061561696: Amazon.com: Books

Third of four in Robin Hobb's Rain Wild books. I was always much more inclined to the Fitz trilogies, and felt the Liveship books were intriguing in terms of setting and world building but fell a bit flat in terms of characters, with the story at the end feeling especially rushed. I also felt her third person multiple POV narration was weaker than her first person narration in the Farseer/Tawny Man books.

I actually picked up the first Rain Wild book (dragon keeper) years back when it came out, but never finished it, it simply took too long to take off and I got bored. Having come back now that the series is complete I've found it a lot more enjoyable, since the first book just reads as an especially long first act in a larger story. I was surprised to find myself getting sucked into the series and invested in the characters (although not as much as in the Fitz books), ended up buying #2 & 3 instantly, and when I finished #3 last night I couldn't wait to go buy the last one and just grabbed it on kindle.

In short - I thought one of my favorite authors had fallen flat with this series, but I gave it a second shot and 3/4 of the way through I'm finding I'm actually loving it. She has an amazing gift for writing fantasy driven as much by the characters as the fantastical elements or conflict, and this series gives a much deeper look at a brilliant section of the world which she only hinted at in previous trilogies.

Only complaint is that it seems to make one specific plot point of the Tawny Man books fall a tiny bit flat, but I'm waiting to finish it before I pass judgement.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Have been reading Will Wights books. Started with the travelers gate trilogy which as pretty good despite its flaws, and now I've been reading the elder empire series. I like it a lot, the story is set up with two main point of view factions, and each get their own book for the same time period. He releases both books pretty close to each other, up to 4 total now for the series. Here's a link to the first set:

Amazon.com: Of Shadow and Sea (The Elder Empire: Shadow Book 1) eBook: Will Wight: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Of Sea and Shadow (The Elder Empire: Sea Book 1) eBook: Will Wight: Kindle Store