What did you just read?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Started reading The Laundry files after reading the short storyA Colder War.

Good shit. Weird Cold War (ish) series about government agencies that are ind of like the CIA that try to suppress Lovecraftian threats caused by people using or discovering certain mathematic principles.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Need some suggestions...been reading some dregs that I got for cheap/free on Amazon and realized I need a little better writing. I'm getting sick of inconsistent characterization (Cycle of Arawn), stiff writing (Stiger's Tigers), and Supernatural Fanfic (Darkness Brutal). I think the last good fantasy book I read was The Shadow of What Was Lost by Islington. Just looking for some good engaging fantasy or sci-fi...need something to unwind from these 12 hour work days.
For good writing, you can't go wrong with Jack Vance. I've suggested his Dying Earth series here before but I'm not sure if anybody actually read it. It's older, but considered an SFF masterwork.

On the level of prose, I don't really know of any recent fantasy series that offers anything remarkable, but there's some damn well-written SF. Neal Stephenson, Dan Simmons, China Mieville (definitely speculative fiction, but I'd hesitate to call it either fantasy or SF, actually), Peter Watts and Iain M Banks (RIP).

I haven't read fantasy in years because the writing is so abysmal, but I still love SF. Of those I mentioned, I'd single out Dan Simmons's Hyperion, Jack Vance's Dying Earth and Iain Banks's Culture series as holding the most appeal for somebody that prefers fantasy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Started reading The Laundry files after reading the short storyA Colder War.
Note that The Laundry Files is completely separate universe from A Colder War; the only common point is basically that Lovecraft was right. The Laundry Files is not a cold war series, it's started as "computer geek is made an offer he can't refuse to work controlling magic for her Majesty's government". He does level quite a lot during the series; at the moment, said computer geek is now called The Eater of Souls (and the series move to other characters to avoid becoming stale).

But, as I said, Stross is an automatic pre-order hardcovers guy for me.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I included A Colder War because that was my first experience with the author and I liked it a lot.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
About halfway through the 2nd Niven Ringworld Book, Ringworld Engineers, I loved the first one but the 2nd is really a lot of the same ideas.

Has anyone read the 3rd and 4th as well as the 4 prequles? are they worth picking up or is just more of the same?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
About halfway through the 2nd Niven Ringworld Book, Ringworld Engineers, I loved the first one but the 2nd is really a lot of the same ideas.

Has anyone read the 3rd and 4th as well as the 4 prequles? are they worth picking up or is just more of the same?
I read them all a few years ago and while I don't remember much about them I do recall not being very satisfied with where they went in the end. It was another case of an interesting premise taken nowhere all that interesting unfortunately. If you're already on the fence about continuing then you'd be better off find something else more enjoyable.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just read Neil Stephenson's newest book Seveneves and I highly recommend it. It's really good scifi whose premise is What if a super dense meteor shot through our moon, causing it to shatter into seven pieces? SPOILER: all kinds of entertaining shit to read about goes down. In many futuristic sci fi books, the author gives you a quick tldr as to how things got to where they are from present day Earth. It felt like Stephenson took that tldr and made it the first 1/2 - 2/3 of the book so it kinda feels like there should be a sequel(s).
Hey Tort, thanks for the recommendation here, I had read another of this guys books, can't remember the name right now but I remembered liking it. I'm only about a thrid of the way into the book right now but it's been a great time killer on my daily train commute.

Pyratec

I've finished Seveneves now, it was very enjoyable, but I am more than a little annoyed at the ending. He left it wide open for a sequel, there was very little resolution, so I went online to go see when the next book was planned for, and found out he doesn't have any concrete plans to write another in this series. I sincerely hope he plans to write another book here, as the ending was very unsatisfying.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just readThe Bullet-Catcher's DaughterandUnseemly Science, pretty neat steam punkish / alternate history books, the first was a finalist for the Phillip K. Dick Award. Both interesting reads and only $1.99 canadian on Kindle.

Northerner

N00b
I really enjoyed Seveneves but have to say, I preferred the exposition to the main story really. The worldbuilding and what-if? portions are always the most fun for me anyhow and to judge from Stephenson's other work, his strength regardless.

Not to say that the last half was not good but I don't know that I need a sequel.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just read theHellequin Chronicles, urban fantasy in some ways similar to Butcher's but is mythology & legend based. There are a couple minor quibbles but I still read 5 books of 500 pages in 9 days haha. As with most of what I read, cheap on Kindle this month ($1.44 USD each)

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just read, "Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles," by Bernard Cornwell. Non-fiction history printed in September 2014, I actually listened to it through audible twice while I drove across the U.S.A.

The book covers the entirety of the battle of waterloo, with historic anecdotes connected to but not directly influenced by the battle itself (Napoleon's return to Europe, his levying of French troops to repulse the English and Prussian armies, Wellesley's background, the animosity between English and Prussian generals). These details serve to flesh out the drama of the battle, allowing the book the freedom of not being bogged down by tactics and bloody fights; though there are plenty of those.

Speaking of which, some of the best descriptive passages of the book concern the environment that the infantry found themselves within during the third day of the battle. This book is Cornwell's magnum opus, as he excels in creating a scene that the reader finds themselves imagining with ease. You can almost smell the powder and the smoke.

I am a big fan of the Sharpe series, but I found Waterloo far more enjoyable than those books. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about the Napoleonic Wars, or military fiction set in the 18-19 centuries.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
In honor of Umberto Eco, I just finishedMr Penumbra's 24h Bookstore, which is a novel that Eco could have written. Or maybe Neal Stephenson. Of course, they would have made it a 800+ page monster with actual historical characters, not the reasonable book there.

It's basically a book about a font. With a secret society obsessed with immortality thrown in. But it's also a book about the necessity to have a fresh outlook, to bring in outsiders to solve your problems, because obsession will blind you to the solutions to your quest. It's not fantasy, it's not sci-fi, it's a very contemporary novel with its roots in the dawn of the printing press. And immortality. And Google. And the pirate ebook scene.

Oh, and boob physics. Don't forget boob physics, that's how the hero gets the funds for his quest.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold, really enjoy his writing. I am also about 20 percent into his Red Country. I love the way he writes his characters, very witty and with lots of sarcasm.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just read, "Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles," by Bernard Cornwell. Non-fiction history printed in September 2014, I actually listened to it through audible twice while I drove across the U.S.A.

The book covers the entirety of the battle of waterloo, with historic anecdotes connected to but not directly influenced by the battle itself (Napoleon's return to Europe, his levying of French troops to repulse the English and Prussian armies, Wellesley's background, the animosity between English and Prussian generals). These details serve to flesh out the drama of the battle, allowing the book the freedom of not being bogged down by tactics and bloody fights; though there are plenty of those.

Speaking of which, some of the best descriptive passages of the book concern the environment that the infantry found themselves within during the third day of the battle. This book is Cornwell's magnum opus, as he excels in creating a scene that the reader finds themselves imagining with ease. You can almost smell the powder and the smoke.

I am a big fan of the Sharpe series, but I found Waterloo far more enjoyable than those books. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about the Napoleonic Wars, or military fiction set in the 18-19 centuries.
You might enjoy thisThe Black Count, its a non fiction about Alexander Dumas's Father and grand father. Dumas wrote The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I've finished Seveneves now, it was very enjoyable, but I am more than a little annoyed at the ending. He left it wide open for a sequel, there was very little resolution, so I went online to go see when the next book was planned for, and found out he doesn't have any concrete plans to write another in this series. I sincerely hope he plans to write another book here, as the ending was very unsatisfying.
Man, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and finding it a bit of a slog. Not much of a spoiler, but a question for you:

Does it pick up after they expand the shit out of the space station? I'm just past the point where they rescue the foreign chick, and some other scientist shows up unexpectedly and then takes off on like a year long mission to do some random shit on his own. The main character just agreed to go up to the station and whatnot.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just finished The Pale King by David Foster Wallace.

It was 20% awesome and 80% work. It was also very long.

Pyratec

Man, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and finding it a bit of a slog. Not much of a spoiler, but a question for you:

Does it pick up after they expand the shit out of the space station? I'm just past the point where they rescue the foreign chick, and some other scientist shows up unexpectedly and then takes off on like a year long mission to do some random shit on his own. The main character just agreed to go up to the station and whatnot.
As Khorum mentioned, the second half of the book is very different from the first half, I think it's worth slogging through.