What do you do?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So I'm currently looking into switching shops. We run a 3 tech set up at my current shop and about a month ago, another tech got put out on workers comp, if I quit there will only be one tech. Trying not to screw them over but I'm not interested in staying at the shop no matter the raise they offer. Pretty conflicted on this.
So I had an interview with a rival shop yesterday, we talked and he told me even though I couldn't give him reliable references (all my references are current employees which I'm not willing to give incase I don't get the job or 5 year old out of state places ), he was super excited about me starting. Said he should figure it out by the end of the week and if I get it I should make about 1.5x what I currently make, going to be working on primarily Porsche which im pretty excited about.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cool, grats! How much do you make? (Seems like billing out at $100 is typical here)
I get taken care of. They usually hand me an envelope in the back seat of a cadillac and then we go eat pasta fagioli at Tony Mozzarella Face's joint.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Interviewed with the state today... they spent about half their time explaining the pay was going to suck. I looked up their salaries beforehand and one makes 83 and one makes 65 and they were prob in they 40s. I think everything is standardized to the point that if i got an offer it would be in the 50s... tough pill to swallow at 75 but since I'm hating this job it may be worth it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't think your age comes into play at all, would be super illegal.

State/government jobs usually talk down their salaries quite a bit because you "could" make so much more outside of working for them but their pay is usually not bad at all.

I make 75k in an industry that I probably "could" make 100k but I never ever ever do overtime and my work is beyond easy. Tons of benefits as well.

Picasso3

I think they grade you based on years experience which usually pairs pretty closely with age.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think they grade you based on years experience which usually pairs pretty closely with age.
The job position "should" have a set grade for it. Some have a range min-max but I don't know of any that are just open ended and they make it up later based on your experience.

Picasso3

Range is 48-86 on this one. I just can't see getting paid any more than my supervisor in a system where everyone can look up everyone's compensation.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
To piggyback on what a_skeleton_03 said, many government jobs are below what you could make in private/corporate but the trade offs generally are benefits and work life balance. Also job security; takes a lot more work than it really should to fire people.

Definitely something to consider when comparing salaries.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got my first call back today for a job that uses my new CCNA cert. Pretty excited to be breaking into the networking field, and starting my new "career path". Hopefully the job isn't terrible, but it's basically network troubleshooting for a telecom company. Here's hoping they are not like Mist's job in terms of lock down on what we can do at our desks!

Should have another call back to schedule in person, or another phone interview within a couple days.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Congrats, I love networking when I worked in it and everything is changing now with virtualization and shit.

In general consider that entry level jobs are what you make of them. You can use this to better yourself and just crush it daily, every day learn something new, even if it is something small like properly documenting a change request or whatever. Some people coast and get the paycheck. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with that if that is what a person wants to do, someone has to be that guy.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ever use someone as a reference without their knowledge? Friend called me this morning saying soandso put you down as a reference. He never asked. Oddly enough he used an incorrent number for me but the person who requested references knew mine.

I gave him a bad one and would have refused if he had asked. Do people think nobody will check?

Picasso3

I've never considered it a big deal to put people down without asking, perhaps I'll reconsider.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
He didn't get a bad reference because he didn't ask. I think he didn't ask because he knew he would have got a bad one. I do always ask/inform someone ahead of time normally tho.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They didn't train me to do my job.

When I fuck up because I wasn't trained how to do anything, I get scolded verbosely via IM/email.

When I do my job well, I am 'rewarded' with more work.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They didn't train me to do my job.

When I fuck up because I wasn't trained how to do anything, I get scolded verbosely via IM/email.

When I do my job well, I am 'rewarded' with more work.
Welcome to the workforce.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Pretty much. My job now, which I actually like due to all the freedom I get, act like every training request costs them their firstborn. Even when it is free and provided by the govt. So to do the job I've had to learn myself, which just ends up gettign me more work that I don't know how to do and have to figure out. Which is fine, I like it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mist reminds me of those kids that start at Burger King and then try to complain to you about how they had to work 5 hours last night.

For my job my only training was college. Sometimes we'll take a PCIe class or something, but in general it's "just figure it out."

If I do really well, I get more challenging tasks and more responsibility. Usually I don't even get paid more.