What do you do?

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Atlanta is the worst.
Our commutes when we lived in ATL were loltastic. We lived in the NW corner (Smyrna) and my wife worked inside the 285 loop north of downtown. It took her almost an hour to get to work with what would have been 20 min in any other city. I worked on the south side of the city near the airport but the traffic on the loop was always in the opposite direction. I would see grid locked cars on the other side of the road while I could go like 90 mph and be at work across town in less than 30 min.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have passed on job offers because of the commute. The cost in time, energy, and money is something I consider when looking at employers. My max is about 30 minutes. I can't stand sitting in a car day in and day out for 1 hour + dealing with shitty drivers just to get back and forth to a job.

I really lucked out now with my current job; 10 minute walk. Good way to start and end the work day.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Our commutes when we lived in ATL were loltastic. We lived in the NW corner (Smyrna) and my wife worked inside the 285 loop north of downtown. It took her almost an hour to get to work with what would have been 20 min in any other city. I worked on the south side of the city near the airport but the traffic on the loop was always in the opposite direction. I would see grid locked cars on the other side of the road while I could go like 90 mph and be at work across town in less than 30 min.
Yup. We live in Kennesaw, and my wife works in Decatur. It takes her almost a half hour just to get TO the interstate from her office during rush hour. It's one reason she works a 4/10 schedule. At least by leaving around 6:30 she avoids some of the madness.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist reminds me of those kids that start at Burger King and then try to complain to you about how they had to work 5 hours last night.

For my job my only training was college. Sometimes we'll take a PCIe class or something, but in general it's "just figure it out."

If I do really well, I get more challenging tasks and more responsibility. Usually I don't even get paid more.
I'm not talking about training for the technical aspects of my job. That shit is fucking easy. It's just remote server administration via linux CLI primarily, windows CLI sometimes, or various web interfaces or remote desktop interfaces. The only thing slightly challenging about the technical aspect is that we support so many types of PBX systems, and it's generally poorly documented in the account notes what type of system you're trying to get into and which connection methods, so you're blind most of the time if its a customer you haven't worked on their systems before. I actually have a straight up USB modem on my desk for dialing into some systems.

I'm talking about the fact that they didn't train me for all the internal bullshit procedural shit that goes along with their terrible workflow and even worse toolchain. Last night, I was told to provide as much detailed information for each cleared alarm as possible, while also remaining concise, which is directly contradictory. When I was 'trained' I was just told to look at old alarms as references, to see how other people cleared them. Except the other people just wrote 'known issue, ignore this' for like 95% of the alarms, whether that's true or not.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well the problem is Boston (and outside cities) is basically a booming tech hub now. If you want to work in MA in tech you need to commute to Boston or live there. Living in Boston is ridiculous (I think Vinen said his house/condo was $600k+). I mean even living south of boston my house is $265k. My only option is to commute, either by the rail or car.
This less than 1000 sqft house is ~221k and it's like 8 miles from the water. That's with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and a history of having 53 inches of water in the basement. :p

Southern RI is just awful. The wages are fucktastically terrible unless you are a carpenter/electrician/plumber/own a landscaping company, or a are full college professor, and yet the cost of living is absurdly high.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I would definitely murder people if I had to commute that far. Your time is worth more than that, broski.
This is how I feel about commutes, I calculate time spent commuting rolled into my pay. I have a 15 minute bike ride into work from where I live so I'm alright with that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This less than 1000 sqft house is ~221k and it's like 8 miles from the water. That's with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and a history of having 53 inches of water in the basement. :p

Southern RI is just awful. The wages are fucktastically terrible unless you are a carpenter/electrician/plumber/own a landscaping company, or a are full college professor, and yet the cost of living is absurdly high.
That's a shitty deal on that house, ours is 1500 sq ft and 3bed/2br but still pretty shitty. My pay is good because I'm an engineer, but I really don't know how "normal people" do it.

My brothers in law are HVAC techs and while they make good money, they couldn't afford the housing here.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I had no idea Boston was that expensive. Jesus.

Atlanta is pretty low cost compared to other large cities, but even here I don't know how people make it work on a median salary. Hell, I don't even know how I used to make it in college on $1400 a month.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have a 4.5 mile commute that takes me about 12 minutes. Sometimes I get caught in 2 straight red lights and it costs me time. Fuckers.
This is about mine as well and my wife's. We bought my wife's car last winter and she's just now ALMOST put 3000 miles on it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not talking about training for the technical aspects of my job. That shit is fucking easy. It's just remote server administration via linux CLI primarily, windows CLI sometimes, or various web interfaces or remote desktop interfaces. The only thing slightly challenging about the technical aspect is that we support so many types of PBX systems, and it's generally poorly documented in the account notes what type of system you're trying to get into and which connection methods, so you're blind most of the time if its a customer you haven't worked on their systems before. I actually have a straight up USB modem on my desk for dialing into some systems.

I'm talking about the fact that they didn't train me for all the internal bullshit procedural shit that goes along with their terrible workflow and even worse toolchain. Last night, I was told to provide as much detailed information for each cleared alarm as possible, while also remaining concise, which is directly contradictory. When I was 'trained' I was just told to look at old alarms as references, to see how other people cleared them. Except the other people just wrote 'known issue, ignore this' for like 95% of the alarms, whether that's true or not.
Is there anything in your life that you consider positive?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Is there anything in your life that you consider positive?
The interesting thing for Mist is, the rest of the world are all idiots, nobody does their job, nobody is qualified for their job, and nobody tells anyone how to do anything... and yet, she's not qualified for any jobs and can't get any jobs and feels hopeless.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I assume the job is probably pretty mind numbingly easy hence why they have the supervisors lording over them. One because the job is so boring it is probably really easy to want to slack off and find any mental stimulation and two because the job is so easy they hire anyone to do it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So this job I interviewed for I was supposed to get a decision on yesterday (2 weeks later). The recruiter told me the hiring manager needs more time because he's still defining the responsibilities and budget for the position.

On the one hand I wasn't rejected. On the other hand, I feel like I interviewed for a job they weren't sure they could create...

not sure how to feel about that.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
my day working from home...
rrr_img_111633.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The interesting thing for Mist is, the rest of the world are all idiots, nobody does their job, nobody is qualified for their job, and nobody tells anyone how to do anything... and yet, she's not qualified for any jobs and can't get any jobs and feels hopeless.
There's just very few decent paying jobs anywhere down here, near the university and near my mom.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You could learn to be a cad drafter and make 17 an hour in north kingston, Most drafters i've interacted with either had a lobotomy or a healthy dose of dunning-kruger. Everyone likes to draw!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I assume the job is probably pretty mind numbingly easy hence why they have the supervisors lording over them. One because the job is so boring it is probably really easy to want to slack off and find any mental stimulation and two because the job is so easy they hire anyone to do it.
It was easy and boring at first, then I made the mistake of being good at it. Then they gave me 5 other people's jobs to do.

The job would seriously be pretty bearable if we got our legally owed breaks AND if the tools we were given to do our job weren't completely broken.

But the company fired the teams that created those tools, because they came out so shitty, so those tools will never be fixed, and replacing them is taking forever.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You could learn to be a cad drafter and make 17 an hour in north kingston, Most drafters i've interacted with either had a lobotomy or a healthy dose of dunning-kruger. Everyone likes to draw!
I competed nationally for CAD in VICA (or whatever they call it now, SkillsUSA) in high school, it's been a while since I've used AutoCAD but not THAT long. But that job pays less than the one I've got. I can't really complain about the pay I'm getting, at least for the area, especially considering the unlimited overtime they offer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The problem with being a cad drafter is you have to have a background of what you are drawing. You can train a monkey to draw and dimesion shit in CAD. $20/hour is pretty low even in the south for someone that knows about what they are drawing and how it will be built.

I started as a CAD drafter in 1991 at $12/hour when minimum wage was $4.35. After 3 months the pay scale went up to $18/hour.