What do you do?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem with being a cad drafter is you have to have a background of what you are drawing. You can train a monkey to draw and dimesion shit in CAD. $20/hour is pretty low even in the south for someone that knows about what they are drawing and how it will be built.

I started as a CAD drafter in 1991 at $12/hour when minimum wage was $4.35. After 3 months the pay scale went up to $18/hour.
Yeah, I'm not making it up. Wages are fucking awful around here. That's why I'm sticking this job out until they fire me, and trying to soak up as much OT as possible even though I hate it.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You could learn to be a cad drafter and make 17 an hour in north kingston, Most drafters i've interacted with either had a lobotomy or a healthy dose of dunning-kruger. Everyone likes to draw!
I'm taking a drafting/autocad class now to round out a degree and this class is prob 50/50. I'd like to find out who has the body odor issue and kick him in the throat. It's probably the same guy who would stomp around the classroom while we were learning the basics via manual drafting and make everyone fuck up lines because he would literally make all the tables shake.

The problem with being a cad drafter is you have to have a background of what you are drawing. You can train a monkey to draw and dimesion shit in CAD. $20/hour is pretty low even in the south for someone that knows about what they are drawing and how it will be built.

I started as a CAD drafter in 1991 at $12/hour when minimum wage was $4.35. After 3 months the pay scale went up to $18/hour.
I've had a few people at school tell me recently that I should take a few more CAD courses because we're having a hiring boom locally and they can't find enough people. I've got a background in maint/construction/electrical/contracting so maybe I could make it work, but fuck it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It took me way too long to realize you guys weren't talking about Rerolled's Cad.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm taking a drafting/autocad class now to round out a degree and this class is prob 50/50. I'd like to find out who has the body odor issue and kick him in the throat. It's probably the same guy who would stomp around the classroom while we were learning the basics via manual drafting and make everyone fuck up lines because he would literally make all the tables shake.

I've had a few people at school tell me recently that I should take a few more CAD courses because we're having a hiring boom locally and they can't find enough people. I've got a background in maint/construction/electrical/contracting so maybe I could make it work, but fuck it.
You're in engineering, get used to BO.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They get hired somewhere. In my department of highways interview there was a question about the importance of personal hygiene.

It stumped me.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They get hired somewhere. In my department of highways interview there was a question about the importance of personal hygiene.

It stumped me.
Luckily I dodged this bullet but they reorganized some of the seating at work and moved this super stinky BO dude into a community pod. I weep for the people next to him. Seriously if he's walked down a hallway 5 minutes ago you can still smell him. I feel like a fucking bloodhound on the trail sometimes knowing where he's gone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a guy that just doesn't wear deodorant. He smells like body odor constantly and you can smell him coming. This is a grown man working in a very large office.

They do get hired. Most of them just learn personal hygiene after college I think. This guy is foreign so that could have something to do with it, for all I know he fucks sheep on the weekends.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have been busy the last few days, did you get the job Picasso? Did they quote you a good salary?
They said it would be 3-4 weeks before i'd know anything. I have an interview with another department on the 13th so it would be nice if they could make a decision before that, but it's no big deal, the job description may sound better anyway.
I did get another private sector hit (for a PE) and they said they were thinking between 60-70k but eventually said they'd make it happen if I was a fit.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Springfield is like an hour from my work (2 hours from my house). We can make it happen probably, we can discuss my promotion and annual raise.
The nature of my job is driving all over the place visiting clients and doing audits. You don't have to drive anywhere. I'll stop for the night somewhere nearby.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

CAD is a good skill to have, if you have some knowledge of what you are drawing. That's how I got started in what I do now.

But guys who only know CAD are cubicle drones who don't make the greatest in pay. Someone else has to tell them what to draw.

People who know what the finshed product will look like, how it's made, and the issues that come up in production of said product are very much in demand and it can be a great skill to have if you branch out later in that field. Guys who only draw something and put dimensions on it after someone else tells them what to draw get jobs, they're just not as in demand and are at the bottom of the pay scale.

There are some guys who literally either don't have any skills to talk to/with people or don't want to use them. My dad was very good at what he did as a draftsman/designer. He didn't want to be over anyone else in a department. He worked it into getting a home office paid for (2 story nice office) and a company truck so he could go to the office 20 minutes away and pick up his check on Friday.

Another guy I worked with could be in charge of half the business, but he really rather sit at his computer and talk to nobody else in the office, nobody in the field. He still makes pretty good but it cost him. He just wants to do "his thing" and not screw with anyone else.

Being that guy and making 6 figures like the two I mentioned above is pretty rare. The upper end of pay scale is normally guys who at least discuss stuff with others.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having given leave last week, ending my current employment on October 31, and starting at a new job in November, I'm now taking 20 days of fully paid vacation from my current job.

My commute however has doubled, from 1 mile to 2 miles.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Having given leave last week, ending my current employment on October 31, and starting at a new job in November, I'm now taking 20 days of fully paid vacation from my current job.

My commute however has doubled, from 1 mile to 2 miles.
Thats a long walk though

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm constantly being chastised for not following very specific internal procedures I was never trained on, and frequently told conflicting information when I asked what the procedures were.